TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest limiting factor on any project is your own imagination.

IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG
Got a little more done on the drawer. Drawer built, slides work, put a temporary nylon pull until I decide what latch I want.

I cut up an old pair of ARB side steps, narrowed them and slider-ized them.

IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG

And your BUDGET!!!

It didn't cost a dime to pull the cab off :flipoff2:

I must have missed it.....plans for the Super Duty?

You didn't miss it, I didn't put plans up!

ARP studs with all the fixins. Rebuilt turbo and injectors. New glow plugs and a few replacement harnesses. Paint and sound deadening. Maybe a new tuner.

It didn't cost a dime to pull the cab off :flipoff2:

You didn't miss it, I didn't put plans up!

ARP studs with all the fixins. Rebuilt turbo and injectors. New glow plugs and a few replacement harnesses. Paint and sound deadening. Maybe a new tuner.

Looking forward to this. I know you'll take plenty pics. Total man hours committed is not enough data .... keep a pile of the empty beers to know how much was really invested.

he can fill up the pickup bed with the empties, and drive to the recycle place to cash em in. That should pay for the truck work, right? ;)

Looking forward to this. I know you'll take plenty pics. Total man hours committed is not enough data .... keep a pile of the empty beers to know how much was really invested.

:lol:

Need to wait till the engine is apart to make a decision, but I'm planning to take your advice from the other thread in terms of doing just the top end. The powerstroke.org guys agreed with you that I didn't damage the block. Saved money over the new longblock route will go towards a double-secret project for moonshine.

Double boosted secret .... sweet ! Lol

Regardless, both should be entertaining to follow along

:lol:

Need to wait till the engine is apart to make a decision, but I'm planning to take your advice from the other thread in terms of doing just the top end. The powerstroke.org guys agreed with you that I didn't damage the block. Saved money over the new longblock route will go towards a double-secret project for moonshine.

New heads?

New heads?

Coolant jacket wear. I've seen accounts of blown 6.0 head gaskets that were blown for too long and it eroded the block around where the water jacket meets the head gasket. Assuming I don't have that problem, and the cylinder walls look good, I'll have a machine shop check over the heads and rebuild/replace as necessary.

I've seen accounts of blown 6.0 head gaskets that were blown for too long and it eroded the block around where the water jacket meets the head gasket.
Help an idiot out here. Can you tell us why it would erode? What is the substance causing erosion? My simple mind goes to water, coolant and oil, but I'm guessing it's a gas since those things don't erode the rest of the engine that contains them. And y'alls silent judging of me is justified...auto shop in high school would have benefitted me.

Help an idiot out here. Can you tell us why it would erode? What is the substance causing erosion? My simple mind goes to water, coolant and oil, but I'm guessing it's a gas since those things don't erode the rest of the engine that contains them. And y'alls silent judging of me is justified...auto shop in high school would have benefitted me.

There are a couple reasons a blown head gasket can increase corrosion. Some engines (Not Johnny's) have an iron block mated to aluminum heads. With a head gasket failure that allows galvanic corrosion to occur between the dis-similar metals (a popular problem with boats). This failure is especially bad for anyone that runs a copper head gasket.

If the head and block are both the same there is less worry of galvanic corrosion but a failed head gasket can pump corrosive exhaust gasses into the cooling system, negating protective additives in the coolant. Diesels are particularly vulnerable because they produce larger amounts of sulfur dioxide in the combustion process which when mixed with water will make sulfuric acid.

Last edited:
There are a couple reasons for engines a blown head gasket can increase corrosion. Some engines (Not Johnny's) have an iron block mated to aluminum heads. With a head gasket failure that allows galvanic corrosion to occur between the dis-similar metals (a popular problem with boats). This failure is especially bad for anyone that runs a copper head gasket.

If the head and block are both the same there is less worry of galvanic corrosion but a failed head gasket can pump corrosive exhaust gasses into the cooling system, negating protective additives in the coolant. Diesels are particularly vulnerable because they produce larger amounts of sulfur dioxide in the combustion process which when mixed with water will make sulfuric acid.

^^^
What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom