All things Towing thread, weight, trailer type, etc.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MetalTech's rear bumper's integral hitch is rated for 6500lbs.
That must be with their rear bumper installed?

My GX came with no hitch of any kind and no 7-pin wiring connector, but still has a transmission cooler.
My 05' didn't come with a hitch but does have the trailer plug. Will have to verify the trans cooler but almost positive it does.

Mine has everything for towing, just lacked the actual hitch and a fuse for the wiring if I am not mistaken.

How are people adjusting their weight distribution hitches? My plan is to load everything up and hook up the camper w/ the AHC in "N" and turned off. Hook up the trailer and then adjust the load bars to bring the truck back to level.

How can you tell if your GX has a towing package?

Alright let's get this question answered.

So I dug out the original window sticker that the previous owner was nice enough to put into or leave in the glove box when she traded it in and there is nothing mentioned about a tow package except for wiring harness, converter, and sub-bracket for $50.
WindowSticker1.jpg

WindowSticker2.jpg

But it does appear that I have the Trans cooler under the horn?
IMG_9178.JPG

And I do have the trailer pin plug.
IMG_9179.JPG

Mine was the same as yours Bluetribal. I installed the "pintle" hitch but so far have only used it to pull some bushes out of the landscaping and a little utility trailer I borrowed to move a riding mower. The trailer was scary behind the GX, empty it was swaying around really badly. Checked the bearings and they are fine, played with tire pressure and no change, so I took it back without using it. I think the axle is in a bad place to be towed empty behind a short wheelbase vehicle. It tows fine behind my truck through. Strange. Might have been fine once loaded, but 70mph on the interstate is not the place I want to find out it was still out of whack.

I assumed that since it was sans hitch from the factory that they might have left out the fuse under the hood for the trailer lights. However, I plugged in the trailer and all was as it should be.

Anyone towed a car hauler? I have the pintle hitch + wiring in place, and need to hook up a single axle hauler for a 3500 lb vehicle. Not interested in using a tow dolly, just curious if anyone has done this and has any words of wisdom. Thanks.

Anyone towed a car hauler? I have the pintle hitch + wiring in place, and need to hook up a single axle hauler for a 3500 lb vehicle. Not interested in using a tow dolly, just curious if anyone has done this and has any words of wisdom. Thanks.
Last Fall I rented a u-haul car hauler to take a small car to Vermont from Boston, and haul a chassis back. No issues at all, even over the Green Mountains.

IMG_2272.jpg

Yeah but you must have had a full Class III hitch, I doubt U-Haul would let you tow their car hauler with just a pintle hitch.
Yes, I have the OEM receiver with the frame attachments.

Figured as much. I am shocked to read that the pintle hitches are rated for 5,000 lbs. I wouldn't come close to that if I had that type of hitch.

I am pretty stoked to have scored the stock hitch off of CL. And looking up the part number indicates it is a Class IV hitch since it connect at the middle rear cross memeber and the two frame rails.

@billmc and @Bluetribal thanks for the info. It is the dual axle Uhaul car trailer I was planning to use. Doing this with the pintle hitch is a no-go? That's what I have and don't want to get a full hitch. Hrm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom