Builds A Newbs "New" 1991 1HZ Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to inspect the timing belt today and ended up replacing it and the tensioner spring. The old one was in great shape, just a little slack / stretched. So I figured what the hell, Ill replaced the belt now so that in 100k im right on schedule to do it again. Idle bearing was in perfect shape so I left it in. Just need to order a new belt and tensioner now so when it comes time to do it again my replacement kit is complete.
The whole deal took me a few hours just because of being overly cautious, quadruple checking everything and it was my first time really digging in to something in the engine bay so there were a few hiccups even getting started.

Just attaching the new tensioner spring took about 1 hour alone. Holy $hiT that thing is a serious pain the ass! :bang:
Ih8tensionersprings..
IMG_4139.JPG

Got it all done eventually and fired it up and it sounded even smoother than before. The timing marks actually lined up even better than before due to the fresh belt it seems. With the 25year old belt the No.2 camshaft gear mark was very slightly off, now its right on the mark.
IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG

Now, Beer :cheers:

gotta love how accessible the timing belt is on these 1HZ s hahah every other engine out there you gotta take the whole dang front end apart to get to it. Well done brotha!

Just attaching the new tensioner spring took about 1 hour alone.
I made a tool similar to the one Georg at Valley Hybirds uses. His is a standard drum brake tool, cut in half, with 'T' bars welded onto them. Not having a welder anymore, I took a brake drum tool and simply bent it 90 degrees to allow radiator clearance. If you look closely at the cup end, both sides are ground flat, which allows the spring to slide off cleanly. Makes the tensioner spring R&R very easy.
IMG_3218.jpg

I thought I was happy enough with the look of the TJM bumper and was going to powdercoat it black. I then realized I was only happy with that bumper because I was just happy about the troopy in general hahaha.

ARB came in today and then I went straight into surgery to perform the facelift. Both bumpers were lighter than I thought. I had no problem installing by myself and I am definitely not the weightlifting type muscle guy.

Here's these basic pics for now. I will take better ones at a good location soon so I will have a good before and after of when the new suspension goes in next month. Definitely need to replace the headlights/lamps now since that faded one really stands out.

IMG_4148.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG

gotta love how accessible the timing belt is on these 1HZ s hahah every other engine out there you gotta take the whole dang front end apart to get to it. Well done brotha!

Yes, I can do them in 20 mins. But nearly everything on the 1HZ is easy to fix/replace. I also like the power steering and vacuum pump running direct off the engine with the drive gears lubricated with engine oil.
Many parts only need a thin line of sealant.
It is an engine that is designed to be fixed under a tree. The engine for the zombie apocalypse.

Just attaching the new tensioner spring took about 1 hour alone. Holy $hiT that thing is a serious pain the ass! :bang:
Ih8tensionersprings..

I use some electrical wire looped through the hook on the spring. I tie the electrical wire to a handle (screwdriver works)

I use some electrical wire looped through the hook on the spring. I tie the electrical wire to a handle (screwdriver works)
I actually used a few tips you gave in a really old thread, so thank you. Mainly putting the trans in 5th and making sure e brake is on hard before taking off the old belt. Your comments in that old thread gave me confidence to tackle it.
I used the screwdriver as leverage trick instead of electrical wire. I could do it much faster next time im sure.

Looking good Handsel. Those beach pics are fantastic! Big improvement with the ARB bumper. Loving your troopy!

What headlights did you go with? I gotta swap my RHD headlights out too but haven't decided which ones to go with.
Thanks man, It's coming along !

I went with some basic IPF brand halogen ones. They are basically hella E code copies. Waiting on the bulbs for another week or so still but I'll let you know my impressions when I get the lamps and bulbs installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom