What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any tips on this? I am gonna start to attempt my replacement this weekend....

Tips.... I don't really have any, other than its a process. In my case the dash is 95% removed to get the unit out
that holds the heater core. I removed the AC section as well, You'll have to discharge your AC mine hasn't worked in 10 years so it wasn't an issue for me. But the main thing is that most if not all the heater core parts are unobtainium from Toyota or anywhere else. If your core is leaking you'll have to take it to a radiator shop for a rebuild. And have the brass tubes brazed back onto it. It's a very doable job have patience and keep track where everything goes. I really don't know what level of skills you have turning wrenches and the time you have to dedicate to the task. If this is your daily driver, this isn't something I think can be accomplished over the weekend. Unless you have all your
parts together and ready to go. One other thing everything I've taken apart regarding the heater core, ducts and odds and ends are getting a good cleaning its all pretty filthy and all the foam seals are toast and need to be dealt with in some way, haven't figured that out yet..
:beer:

Tips.... I don't really have any, other than its a process. In my case the dash is 95% removed to get the unit out
that holds the heater core. I removed the AC section as well, You'll have to discharge your AC mine hasn't worked in 10 years so it wasn't an issue for me. But the main thing is that most if not all the heater core parts are unobtainium from Toyota or anywhere else. If your core is leaking you'll have to take it to a radiator shop for a rebuild. And have the brass tubes brazed back onto it. It's a very doable job have patience and keep track where everything goes. I really don't know what level of skills you have turning wrenches and the time you have to dedicate to the task. If this is your daily driver, this isn't something I think can be accomplished over the weekend. Unless you have all your
parts together and ready to go. One other thing everything I've taken apart regarding the heater core, ducts and odds and ends are getting a good cleaning its all pretty filthy and all the foam seals are toast and need to be dealt with in some way, haven't figured that out yet..
:beer:
Thanks for the tips...I am pretty handy with the wrench, just never taken off the dash or done any of this type...(installed new exhaust system, Lift, suspension and sway bars.) Most likely, getting started this weekend...not daily driver, so I have some time. Let me know what you come up with on the foam seals. Thanks again

Thanks for the tips...I am pretty handy with the wrench, just never taken off the dash or done any of this type...(installed new exhaust system, Lift, suspension and sway bars.) Most likely, getting started this weekend...not daily driver, so I have some time. Let me know what you come up with on the foam seals. Thanks again

One tip. If you've pulled off all visible nuts and/or bolts and the piece will not come loose take a closer look for that one nut or bolt you overlooked. Overall not that bad of a job to dismantle the dash just time consuming.

Ok one more tip. Take photos of how the small brackets under the dash are oriented and of their location.

One tip. If you've pulled off all visible nuts and/or bolts and the piece will not come loose take a closer look for that one nut or bolt you overlooked. Overall not that bad of a job to dismantle the dash just time consuming.

Ok one more tip. Take photos of how the small brackets under the dash are oriented and of their location.
Also, make note of the sequence of disassembly. When you go to reconnect and reinstall things, some things have to be done in a certain order, or you'll have to go back and undo a few things in order to continue. Don't ask me how I know.

It was that time again to check valve lash...

IMG_5144.JPG

Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner this last week so ran some parts through, works pretty good, works great on greasy bolts.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

Installed a new carb insulator @beno, and lookin'-like-new carb reworked by @FJ40Jim

IMG_1735.JPG

and

IMG_1739.JPG

Fuel cut solenoid wiring was brittle (375k miles) and one wire broke, had to make that repair. 2F runs great.

Baselined it since I've had it about a week. Changed the oil, trans fluid twice, installed a big trans cooler, replaced the speakers, got the clock and radio working again, charged the A/C (still R12!!!) balanced the tires, went through the master window switch, lubed the window tracks, tightened the front suspension up (had a clunk turning left) and made sure the 4x4 worked and air lockers functioned.

I'm going to tighten the belts today (found out it has a broken alternator tensioner bolt), pinpoint the small coolant leak (radiator I think) and then go cruising!

J,

Looking forward to pics post install. Ready to tackle my suspension now that my knuckles are done.

Well it should go pretty smoothly. I've lost count of the 60 kits I've installed on personal rigs over the years and Tough Dog says they've sold and installed over 20,000 60 series kits since '84. Plus, the stock height kit I recently put on only has 4300 miles on it. So, no need to fight rust and worn out components.

Now just to get them installed, get the bumpers, sliders and rack built and test fit the new drawers coming from AUS next week.

Its just time.....

J

stock height kit???

Cleaned the front brakes up.. With all the dirt from snow, rain, and then trail run a couple weekends ago I figured they could use it. Still have a little more than 3mm on the front pads, all even wear, so they should last a bit longer. Rears were a little more than 4mm left on the shoes but think that the drums are now to the point where they should be replaced. Something that will probably happen sooner than later but going to need to be done regardless.

Have made the decision, finally, to paint BeBe after I finish the body work and get my other door. Found a color that I really like from Rustoleum, Deep Slate, which at this point only comes in rattle cans. I may do a rattle can paint job like @roadstr6 did with his 40 (at least I think that is who it was). Anyways... piktors!!

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Realized that the overcast doesnt really do the color justice... Gonna have to sanding down the spare passenger door and then spray.

Last edited:
I saw you found that color a couple weeks back and have been curious as to its hue...I like it. looks like a good candidate for grey interior trim pieces, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom