SoFlo Rear Bumper Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out on a limb and I bought the current (March 2017) version of the SoFlo Rear bumper for my 80 Series. You can find them on Facebook and check out what they offer besides the rear bumper I'm going to review in this thread. There's also a discussion thread about the SoFlo bumper here on Mud that you can check out.
https://www.facebook.com/soflobumpers/
Background:

I was looking for a way to get my spare tire out from under my truck, and maybe provide a little protection and possibly a place to mount some future accessories. I'm on a budget build and while I wish I could afford the best of the best with honors, compromises have to be made. I live in an apartment and commute across the country to work (which is normal in my profession) so while I took welding almost 20 years ago in high school, I couldn't put together my own bumper if I wanted to. I don't have the time, skills, or the space.

The 4x4 Labs bumper is really sweet, but like I said I don't have any way to construct it. I also didn't want to cut my frame. I wanted the option of removing the bumper if I wanted to do so. I found a used ARB on here in the classified section for a price I was willing to pay, but shipping put it out of reach. I found a Kaymar tire only swing-out add-on for a price I was willing to pay, but it sold before I could nab it. I love the Costa Fabrication front bumper but I just don't dig the rear. I can't put my finger on it, but it's not for me. Plus cost and cutting.

I had seen this SoFlo bumper advertised on eBay and the above linked thread on here, but the first generation was really ugly. Form can follow function - to a point ;)

The latest generation looked much better and after picking up a little OT at work, I decided I'd seriously consider it. I got in touch with SoFlo Bumpers on Facebook and got a near immediate response. We ended up talking on the phone for 30 minutes or more and he was very candid about what his bumper is and isn't. The seller made basically the following points during our conversation:

-They're imported from some factory that makes bumpers for all sorts of vehicles that are sold all over the world.
-His design is based on the Kaymar, but is being tweaked here and there on each batch.
-He could use thicker steel, but that he deliberately uses thinner steel to keep the weight down.
-Future models will probably have a gas strut to hold the swing-arms open. One customer has already made this mod.
-It mounts to all factory mounting locations.
-Rear mud flaps fit with some minor trimming.
-He kinda thinks of it as a starting point and expects people to mod as needed.
-He and his family have had a bunch of Land Cruisers over the last 30+ years and he's very familiar with the vehicle.

After the conversation I agreed to buy the bumper and we exchanged information. The transaction was via PayPal and was very professional. The seller shipped the bumper the next day, just like he said he would, and provided a tracking number immediately via PayPal. The bumper arrived on-time at my mechanic's shop a few days later. (Florida to Arkansas)

Upon arrival, this is what my mechanic had to say:
-Overall, for the money, it's not awful
-The mounting system is clever and well designed
-Welds are kinda ugly but not substandard, but the grinding is pretty bad
-The wings are a little too long and need to be trimmed back a couple inches in order to clear the flares
-The swingounts are not secured to the spindle in any way. The only thing that holds them on is the latch
-The ladder is REALLY close to the window, so he put some padding on it in case it makes contact
-The top piece, where the diamond plate is, doesn't go all the way back to the the truck so there's a big gap, which is covered by the diamond plate. It doesn't have any way of attaching, so he used 9 large rivets to secure it to the bumper.

His impression was that it is definitely a "get what you pay for" product, but that for the money it's not bad.

After installing it, he had some additional comments that I will touch on in the following posts.

Overall, I'm not disappointed - but I'm not thrilled either. It really can't be said enough that this is 100% "you get what you pay for." As part of my job I often have to give fairly pointed feedback to people I am training, and one of my go-to phrases is "Sufficient but uninspiring," and there's really not better way to describe this thing.

Below I will post lots of pictures and comment on specific aspects of the bumper, and I'll continue to update as I get more time using it.

Here's what it looks like from the sides and rear
SoFloBumper 3.jpg
SoFloBumper 7.jpg
SoFloBumper 8.jpg

That's pretty cool! I've been looking for a cheaper rear bumper as well, can't stomach the prices of some of the fancier stuff.

When mounted, the quarter panel arms are a little misaligned and were too long. My guy trimmed them back to the flares and mudflaps would fit, but they still don't follow the contour of the body. They are currently in contact with the rear body panel on both sides, which I'm not thrilled about and will have to fix. I wish we'd had time to do this before I had to take it home.

Driver's side:
SoFloBumper 15.jpg
SoFloBumper 16.jpg
SoFloBumper 18.jpg

The Ladder/Jerry Can Swing-Out

The ladder is fairly stout. I haven't climbed on it, but I'm sure it would hold up my 140 pound frame. However, it's misaligned and is REALLY close to the window. My guy wrapped some pipe insulation with tape on the upper rung to make it soft. Looks good and is functional, but wouldn't need to be there if it was properly aligned with the contour of the back of the Cruiser. FWIW, I don't really care because I'm planning to cut it off anyway. I don't have anything on my roof and what I really want are more jerry cans.

SoFloBumper 14.jpg
SoFloBumper 13.jpg

The Ladder/Jerry Can Swing-Out 2

The jerry can holder is what it is, but it's not (in my opinion) engineered very well. Mine has a little bend on one corner. Probably from shipping. It came with a tiny chain that is used to hold the can in. It's adjustable, however, it's still too long for the can I bought at Harbor Freight and it won't secure. It's also really poorly finished with gloopy paint. Maybe the least impressive part of the whole bumper. (sorry, I didn't take a picture of that. I'll get one tomorrow. OH! and the license plate... There's no provision for mounting it. My guy rigged that up until I get around to redoing the swing-out.

SoFloBumper 27.jpg

SoFloBumper 46.jpg

Last edited:
The Tire Carrier Swing-Out

It hold my 33 inch Duratrac just fine. It doesn't wobble around and it's nice and close to the body. It's also low enough that it doesn't block my view very much. I'm actually pretty happy with it, except that the bracing strangely engineered. See below...
SoFloBumper 37.jpg
SoFloBumper 38.jpg
SoFloBumper 39.jpg
SoFloBumper 40.jpg

The Tire Carrier Swing-Out 2

Here are a couple pictures of the tire carrier as it's attached to the swing-out. It's adjustable and appears to be fail-safe. I would have liked to have a small hole in the middle of the backing plate so I could run a bike chain through it so nobody steals my tire. Nothing a drill can't fix!

SoFloBumper 35.jpg
SoFloBumper 36.jpg

Swing-out latches and Pads

The latches seem to be pretty good. They line up and feel secure. The little rubber pads were added by my guy, so the swing-outs would rest solidly on the back of the bumper. Could have been an easy add for the seller and kinda inexcusable...

SoFloBumper 30.jpg
SoFloBumper 31.jpg
SoFloBumper 32.jpg
SoFloBumper 33.jpg
SoFloBumper 34.jpg

Last edited:
Swing-Out Spindles

So... The bumper came with ZERO hardware. It uses a bunch of existing locations to mount and requires minimal assembly. That being said, there is probably supposed to be something that holds the spindles on. All it needs is a washer and a nut to go on the threaded end of the spindle under the screw-on cap. BUT... there's nothing to put on there so the swing-outs are only held onto the spindles (and bumper) by gravity, friction, and the latches when latched closed. Not cool, SoFlo... Not cool at all!

SoFloBumper 28.jpg
SoFloBumper 29.jpg

Mounting

The bumper seems to be really solidly mounted to the frame, using existing mounting points. There wasn't much light and I didn't have a macro flash with me, so I only got one usable image of the driver's side mounting location. Yes, I know one of the bolts is misaligned. Par for the course.... Haha!

SoFloBumper 45.jpg

Good on you for the honest review. I definitely understand being on a budget, but there are some things that are lacking about the bumper. For $1075, I would definitely save my pennies for a different bumper.

Thanks for the pics & honest write up on this! I'm in the same boat (financially) as you, so this is/was a very enticing option for a rear bumper. Getting the spare out from under is a big issue for me, since injuries/disability make it difficult for me to get down there if I need it. The jerry can is holder is nice to have, and the ladder would be helpful for opening/closing the RTT. But the details, or lack of re: spindle hardware, you've pointed out, do have me taking a step down from the fence on this one.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your long term assessment/use, and see where it goes.

As @IoN6 pointed out in my build thread, the four pintle holes do not line up with the four holes in the bumper. The top two pretty much do but the bottom two are far enough off that you couldn't get a bolt in them if you wanted to. They're... wait for it... MISALIGNED! I went out and took some pictures with my phone, so they're not as good as the previous photos, but have a look-see for yourself.

Pintle Holes
FullSizeRender.jpg-8.jpeg

Bottom Right

FullSizeRender.jpg-9.jpeg

Bottom Left

FullSizeRender.jpg-7.jpeg

Top Left
FullSizeRender.jpg-3.jpeg

Top Right

FullSizeRender.jpg-6.jpeg

Pintle Holes - Part Two

The fact that they don't line up is a moot point. You couldn't use them even if you wanted to. The SoFlo bumper doesn't actually rest ON the cross member. If you take a look at the pictures above, you can see that there's roughly an inch of dead space between the rear cross member and the bumper itself. There's really no reason to even have those holes there, which is a bummer because I was hoping to attach a pintle recovery point. That's the only reason the tow hitch is still on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom