How does this engine bay look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would look on Slee Offroad's website where there's a new buyers guide. Although its a bit overwhelming you want to be at least sure the beast will make it home from Oregon. I mean what if the birfs are clicking or if the lights aren't working properly? There's some risk involved but I would ask him for a boat load of pictures as noted before. You could also ask him to take it to a Toyota dealership and have them do an inspection. Tell him you want to be sure there's no unknowns for a drive home. You'll have to pay for the inspection but that's way better than getting a major surprise out in the middle of the Dakota's.

I agree with comments about Taco Bell etc. I always clean out a vehicle well before I sell it. Especially if he's asking that price. Offer him $2500 and he can keep the brush guard. Ha!

And while you're wasting his time, someone is likely to make a realistic offer and drive it home. Have seen immaculately clean rigs from pedigreed sellers become needy money pits and rigs that are ruff around the edges, dirty, etc, be solid runners. The truth is, there is risk in buying 20+yr old rigs, must be ready to do some work to make them solid.

Give me a couple of hours with a blow gun and pressure washer and could make that rig shine. It wouldn't change the rig one bit, just hide the problems. Personally would rather buy one like that, gives a better idea of where the problems are and with rigs of this age there are always issues that need to be addressed.

I was gonna poo poo all over this truck but see its up in Portland and looks like a $5-6k wagon; if the PM was baselined this truck would be worth alot more IMO. The sad thing is its not really that much work to undertake. You can do the front side oil leaks in a day. The axle PM over a weekend easy. I bet you could find a PDX mud guy to go take a look? just a though.....

or you can take this back to Masshole central and flip it......1991 Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser 80

Give me a couple of hours with a blow gun and pressure washer and could make that rig shine. It wouldn't change the rig one bit, just hide the problems. Personally would rather buy one like that, gives a better idea of where the problems are and with rigs of this age there are always issues that need to be addressed.

Yeah my gut says the dudes an honest person just trying to sell a truck he doesn't want anymore. Doesn't seem like much of a car guy either so PM not even a factor to consider. Funny how the taco bell slip was just to show the time and date(a bit of an overkill) has gotten so much hate. I'm sticking with 5k cause that's what I feel I'm willing to travel and gamble with for it. Odds are someone will offer more or he'll keep it but I always felt when the right one comes everything just works out like it should.

Again thanks to everyone for sharing you views and knowledge on these pigs. This community always super helpful, can't wait to actually join it heh.

@Maltrix - smart limit to set, you're automatically in an easy $1500 for fly-n-buy, even if you get it trucked back East. If you don't plan like that you could easily be $11K into a $7K 80 with the maint done.

The Taco Bell thing was a tangent, but it goes to the bigger picture - to me nobody says "Dam, I gotta get me some Taco Bell, I always feel awesome after that stuff!".
No, poor planning & lack of standards get you in the driveup line, waiting on 3 crapbox cars in front of you. Yeah, plenty of people go, but who is proud of it after the fact? Same with MacDonalds - no adult sees it as nutrition, just cheap filler.

That same poor planning means dude may be honest but damn if he is willing to take 2hrs & shine his junk for an ad. Heck, I'm selling a $3500 Prelude SH in a couple weeks, it'll be clean as it ever was for the new buyer. Being honest & showing some initiative & class to clean your stuff like you want to sell it aren't mutually exclusive in my mind. His 'honesty' is a byproduct of laziness I think.

Hard tangent aside - more power to you sticking to your budget. Stuff is out there.
I posted a CL ad ~45mins away in Seattle with a early locked 1FZ / 208K for $3K just ~2 days ago.

Your hard cash is worth more than people realize - without planning ahead what dead average guy has a liquid $8K for that '97 40th?
$3-4K is one thing, a # close to $8K means some guy has worked his wife over long enough she doesn't declare civil war, and had time to save that $$ in cash. For most of us saving a full $8K is a easy 4-6 months of all our play money, or longer.

For what it's worth I agree with you assessment on the man's character. He comes across as a rather simple fellow. Looks like Oregon folk are easy going in general.

He accepted 5k, now I got to marinate on if I'm going to go through with it, make the flight, or have it towed. As you said getting it trucked is $1500 and by my estimations $500 for one way tickets and roughly $600 in gas to get it home(assuming 10mpg) + hours of driving. Big decision, need to sleep on it

For what it's worth I agree with you assessment on the man's character. He comes across as a rather simple fellow. Looks like Oregon folk are easy going in general.

He accepted 5k, now I got to marinate on if I'm going to go through with it, make the flight, or have it towed. As you said getting it trucked is $1500 and by my estimations $500 for one way tickets and roughly $600 in gas to get it home(assuming 10mpg) + hours of driving. Big decision, need to sleep on it

I'd make the trip. Meet up with some local mud members to go through and baseline your fluids before hand and then head out. It's a beautiful drive. Hit salt lake and then dip south to Moab. Take in the sights. Enjoy a hot spring in the Jemez mountains. Maybe spend a day in Santa Fe or Albuquerque. Sleep in camp grounds all the way across. You'll be glad you did.

I'd make the trip, and if anything happens get it on Reliable Carriers if it's a multiple day layover you cannot accommodate because of a work schedule.

Make the title transfer & inspection in person - I'm 70 miles N of Seattle so there has to be a local 80 guy who knows the 1FZ to tell you both the real deal on this 80 as well as the probability of making it the whole ride East.

Awesome he came to see the light - now the trick is to get your name on the release of interest/liability before anyone else can since he's in a $5K state of mind.

Get ernest money wired/Paypal'ed that he refunds if he bails. Lock him in without getting stuck for the full $5K on the outside it has a "deathflaw".

Have you done the fly-n-buy before? It's a frickin' awesome way to see some states in America I think (I only have done TX & CA, took a alternate way home from TX via CO & points between) - plus you get to know the 80 right off as to 'normal'.

I'd buy cheap basic tools & try to either bring a FSM or link the pdf copy in case you need it on the ride home.

Put out a call for OR guys to give a 2nd set of eyeballs & give their thoughts, buy pizza after.

A cheap sleeping bag in OR (no state sales tax!) & you have your rolling hotel home!

About a month ago, there was a fully locked 80 in Eugene with 200k for $4500. I bought a rough '94 with a solid engine in Portland two weeks ago for $1700. I would call $5k a high average price for a visually clean, non-locked 80 series in Oregon with around 200k miles. I'd call $4k average, $3500 on the cheaper end, and < $3000 is for 80s that need significant superficial work (i.e. paint, minor dents, broken window motors, etc.). $1500 max for a non-runner. Add $2k to every value if it has lockers. You can find plenty of people asking more, of course, but you'll see those ads up for months.

Personally, I don't care where a person eats, but duct tape on the engine doesn't put me at ease. And I'm still new to the LC scene, but burning a quart every 1500 miles sounds excessive.

And while you're wasting his time, someone is likely to make a realistic offer and drive it home. Have seen immaculately clean rigs from pedigreed sellers become needy money pits and rigs that are ruff around the edges, dirty, etc, be solid runners. The truth is, there is risk in buying 20+yr old rigs, must be ready to do some work to make them solid.

When the buy is right it will happen. I read a lot throughout the night. Got an idea what I was in for and put money down on it without driving it. It turned out fine and I still am sinking money into it. You gotta be aware of what you're in for or you'll have it right back on the market.

If you are going to fly out for the purchase, line up some alternate vehicles you can purchase if the deal goes sour. That way you are not pressured to make a bad deal. You can rent a car for a few days and take the trip from Oregon to Southern Cal and certainly find something, Land Cruiser or not, to purchase for the drive home, sell when you get back home to break even if you don't want to keep it.

15 months ago I I bought a locked 93 out of north east Oregon (Hermiston) for $4k. It was dirty as hell but the seller was down to earth and honest in our phone conversations before I flew up to buy it.

If you decide to take some basic tools with you to have for the return voyage, don't bring any that are over 7" long. I did, unknowingly, and TSA confiscated them.

I don't have much to add here except that being a fellow new englander, you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. The rigs around here are rusty and overpriced, but at least if it's "local" you know what you're getting into. I've done fly and buys before and it can be a coin flip, even with the best laid plans. Condition is subjective and as a seller if you've priced something right you're going to get local interest and it's often much easier to sell to someone locally than someone 2500 miles away, especially when we're only talking about 5-10k.

At the end of the day, regardless of what you buy or how clean it appears to be, make sure you set some money aside and plan on some projects.

Not sure how long you've been looking, the stuff that's priced well goes quickly. I bought mine about 6 weeks ago, but have continued to watch. Since then there was an LX450 on craigslist in Boston area less than a month ago for $3500. ~250k miles. Sold in a day or two. Yesterday, there was an FZJ with a blown head gasket in Vermont for $500. I think the Blue FZJ in NY was a good truck too for the $5800 that was paid.

I did this a few weeks ago, flew from Texas to San Fran to drive home. Checked the rig out and it was as described (for the most part, still a little perturbed about a few things). Bought it and started driving home. Broke down on the way home. Ended up needing a new starter, but was not something him nor I could have foreseen. Fixed it and was on my way. Realize there's some risk and be prepared. Not everything can be known beforehand, so as long as you know that and are willing to take that plunge, I'd say do it (if you haven't already) and have fun! I'm glad I did it the way I did, got to have an adventure right off the bat. Your drive sounds way more enjoyable than mine was! You can see my issue in my couple of post in the last two weeks.

For the "plan ahead" -crowd.

IIRC, you need 30 days waiting period, but if you buy AAA plus for $65 annually, you can get a flatbed tow 100 miles, either 2 or 3 times in a year.

Or check your insurance, mine has a rider for that so I let my AAA expire - but it's a nice service to have if you get your ducks lined up & know ahead of a trip you can do this.

Also, with AAA you can just be riding with anyone & use your AAA to get their car towed to get service. I've done that with my bro in-law.

FWIW, when I bought my 93 a year ago I flew out to LA and drive it back to Iowa. It was a blast.

I packed new belts and hoses in my carry on and picked up a basic set of tools at Lowe's when I got there. Ended up not using them so I returned them when I got back to Iowa.

I asked a Mud member @NLXTACY to look at it and he did. I knew what I was getting in to.

We changed the coolant, hoses, belts, and front diff oil. And I took off.

@retrofive lives in Oregon. Maybe he can look at it for you. I would consider it customary to give someone a few hundred bucks for doing so.

Duct tape on the intake hose sreams neglected maintenance. It could be minimal or it could be major. Would be great if you could have someone familiar with 80s inspect it. Also, that's the worst YouTube video I've ever seen to try and sell a car. He should have just stuck with the pics.

Thank you all for the many helpful responses. The seller has gone quiet on me and the listing ran its time out with no sale. I sent him a message expressing interest still but I'm not going to chase him past that. I made a few accounts on local Oregon club forums and got some friendly replies back. Feels weird to ask strangers to check out a purchase for me but I feel this community is largely full of decent human beings so i'll put faith in what any forum member has to say on a rig.

This isn't the first time a sage deal hasn't gone through for me so I won't be too disappointed if happens that way, last guy wanted 15k cause it had 86k miles and jiffy lube receipts, had an accident on record too. There is actually one in the classified right now much closer to be but the AC doesn't work(not sure but could be an expensive fix right?) and the interior is kind of junkey. Oh well like I said earlier when the right one comes around everything will workout like it should. I really appreciate all the input guys if the seller gets back in touch with me ill update with any pertinent information

Thank you all for the many helpful responses. The seller has gone quiet on me and the listing ran its time out with no sale. I sent him a message expressing interest still but I'm not going to chase him past that. I made a few accounts on local Oregon club forums and got some friendly replies back. Feels weird to ask strangers to check out a purchase for me but I feel this community is largely full of decent human beings so i'll put faith in what any forum member has to say on a rig.

This isn't the first time a sage deal hasn't gone through for me so I won't be too disappointed if happens that way, last guy wanted 15k cause it had 86k miles and jiffy lube receipts, had an accident on record too. There is actually one in the classified right now much closer to be but the AC doesn't work(not sure but could be an expensive fix right?) and the interior is kind of junkey. Oh well like I said earlier when the right one comes around everything will workout like it should. I really appreciate all the input guys if the seller gets back in touch with me ill update with any pertinent information

If you find another one, out in Portland I could look at it, I am only 13 miles from Portland

Hi all, back again. The original cruiser I was looking at is still floating out there but the seller seems to be unsure how much he wants for the truck and was essentially jerking me around so I moved on.

This LX from texas has caught my eye. I've attached the engine bay pics I've got from the seller, a undercarriage vid and a walk around I just discovered he made while posting this

It's got a new head gasket, plugs, oil and filter. Only flaws I see are some paint blemishes, the front bumper and hail damage on the hood.

I think the truck is very clean and i suspect I could get it off him for 5500-6000. Was just wondering what y'all think of it, especially the hail damage. Thanks!

lx450 1.jpg

lx450 2.jpg

lx450 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom