Leaf spring / axle wrap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get some new rear leaf springs. The current ones are 43" long 19.5" from front to mid and then 23.5" from rear to mid. Problem is they are older and since i put the new engine in i am getting crazy axle wrap which has broken/loosened the c clamps for the springs. See exhibit A and B. And then i have to buy a track bar. Been looking at the RuffStuff and Decker track bars. I think I prefer the RuffStuff design but have no experience with either. Engine is a chevy 383 with somewhere in the range of 350-400ft/lbs of torque. Hence the dire need for a track bar. But the main question is regarding the leaf springs. The measurements are stated above and they have 7 leafs. Are these the stock ones or are they a lifted. I cannot raise the rig any more as i am already scrapping to get into the garage as it is.

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

Those are factory spring packs. With as lapped out as those springs get you may want to consider adding an antiwrap leaf to the top of the pack as well as the traction bar. Ruffstuff bars are super over built and worth the money. I use one on one of my rigs that sees the most trail use.
It is a bit tight for packaging on a 40 but doable. @White Stripe was working on one recently.

You can see the antiwrap leaf in the top of my pack here.

IMG_20170325_171659.jpg

you are soa so the leaf wraps probably have broken due to more flex in the suspension. When I had a soa fj40 I moved those wraps vertical and ran a bolt through them. Allowing them to flex a bit is ok and will help with flex on the trail. As long as you have a traction bar and open up those wraps you should be ok. Your biggest concern should be true axle wrap and damage to the pinion. Sounds like right now those wraps you should just bend them straight .

I just ordered the RuffStuff Traction Bar so I will post on here when I have it all done. Along with new driveshafts soon.

Thanks. What vendor did you use for the extra leaf.

You can make them if you have extra leaf packs around. These come standard on Alcan springs, Dealers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom