94 FJ80 door speakers puzzle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an old FJ80 and could not find door speakers that would fit but finally cracked the code.

First thing is you will not find anything to fit in the factory screw and bolt holes. The big problem is the window track which will hit any speaker installed into the original door holes. The money answer is to find a speaker that is sold with a spacer. I found these Alpine 6 1/2 inch which work perfectly. Back doors are a smaller speaker so just get two of these 6 1/2s.

The brand new box includes hardware for mounting the spacer and speaker. The next problem is the metal screws are too long and the machine screws are too short. These Alpine's weren't meant to be installled like this so just run to a Hardware store and buy a bag of pan head sheet metal #8x3/4" and one bag of round head machine screws #8x5/8". Lowe's doesn't carry the size machine screws we need FYI. Found both at a Home Depot. They come in bags of 6 and since you'll need 8 of each for both doors, buy two bags of each size.

The sheet metal screws will work with the alpine included clips, you can see them being used on the first picture.

The speakers don't come with covers so if you don't use covers you can probably get away with the machine screws included in the alpine kit. I got some JL 6 1/2 covers which fit fine with the slightly longer screws.

Pictures below hope this helps someone save some time!

Doors close just fine with a few cm to spare!

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Front doors finished to a near factory look!

IMG_1260.JPG

Last edited:
I just installed the Pioneers that everyone gets yesterday. You can use the factory holes for the fronts and the rears just need the middle part of the OEM cradle modified a little.

They sound fine with the stock head unit.

I used this thread as my guide.

Fitment of Pioneer TS-G series speakers behind OEM grills

Mine had a custom system in it when I bought it. Or the remnants of one. The speakers were some weird size. Forced me to figure out something for those pioneers. I have the template made I just need to cut them out of some sheet steel I had. This is all part of rebuilding the doors.

I did the 6.5 pioneers, it was a little funky to get the fit but nothing custom. Definitely needed to pull the interior panel.

The new head and sub I've dropped in have made a huge difference. The stock "sub" is a joke, 20 year speakers are shot, and a 20 year old head with cassette player....

I did the back doors yesterday and these Alpine SPS-410s were mostly a factory fit. I did need to use a dremel to take off some plastic off the original Toyota speaker cradle, and then a glue gun helped seal the new speaker to the original Toyota speaker cradle. It bolted back into the original holes. Way easier than the fronts.

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

You will just need to cut off the little propellor shaped center of the speaker cover then voila!
IMG_1270.JPG

Factory original fit!
IMG_1271.JPG

Last edited:
So while cleaning up my mess from doing my door speakers yesterday I noticed what appeared to be a sub woofer in the back cargo area of my truck. I can't hear any bass at all coming from it so I pulled off the plastic upholstery and found this POS 6" sub and a garbage can worthy little 20 watt amp.

This is apparently the original "JBL" option Toyota had back in 1994. I can't imagine it ever sounded that good, even when brand new!

IMG_1259.JPG

Then I found this replacement mono amp for sale 90 watts vs the original 20 watts
IMG_1258.JPG

I used the original speaker housing and fit the replacement Alpine amp and a new JL 6" sub perfectly.
IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Last edited:
So while cleaning up my mess from doing my door speakers yesterday I noticed what appeared to be a sub woofer in the back cargo area of my truck. I can't hear any bass at all coming from it so I pulled off the plastic upholstery and found this POS 6" sub and a garbage can worthy little 20 watt amp.

This is apparently the original "JBL" option Toyota had back in 1994. I can't imagine it ever sounded that good, even when brand new!

View attachment 1429973

Then I found this replacement mono amp for sale 90 watts vs the original 20 watts
View attachment 1429978

I used the original speaker housing and fit the replacement Alpine amp and a new JL 6" sub perfectly.
View attachment 1429974

View attachment 1429976

View attachment 1429975
So how does it sound?

I been doing my own installs on the other speakers but was "upsold" by the salesman at Car Concepts here in Salt Lake City to dynomat the interior so just let them do the entire sub and amp install this time while I post pics.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Last edited:
So how does it sound?

The doors were all working fine this morning. They sounded WAY better than the torn stock paper speakers. Just finishing up the install on the sub. Few more pics coming and then I'll have her back together.

Brah I’m over in Kaneohe! Goin to swing by the local shop to check the Speaker deals this afternoon, you motivated me!

Good info on here, thanks for posting. How does the sub sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom