89 fj62 ignition cylinder iam just not getting it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
.problem. Just cant seem to release key cylinder. Ive taken switch off and i cant find any release button to push. I can see a little tit on the switch side that wont let cylinder come out. I put key in acc position but i cant find a release button like my haynes manual declares.

It's on the bottom. It's about an 1/8" hole, and about 1 1/2" in from the face of the ign cyl.

This pic might help. The key cylinder is partially removed to show you what you are looking for. the steering whell lock button is on top. This is what you should see while you sit in the drivers seat the release hole is facing you. Inside that hole is a small button that releases the cyllinder from the column, the button can be seen on the cylinder. Its under the plastic cover if you haven't removed that yet

Tony
ignition removal 004.JPG

Got it thanks mines not like the one in the picture its like cruiser said 1 1/2 inches from face. Much thanks its great to have friends

My mistake and I even looked at the FSM for my 62 and it is vague, the drawing is almost identical to that pic I posted from an 82 column that is identical to my 83. I wonder if the drawing in my 89 manual is from the earlier column wouldn't be the first minor error in the FSM.

But glad you found it none the less

Tony

Each one is a little different but it is the same type of button across the board. Almost all Toyota's are the same just a different location on different models and years.

FWIW - Just saw this on flea-bay:

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 1988-90 - Ignition Lock Cylinder w/2 Keys - C30132 | eBay

Part # is for FJ62 -- Anyone know if the 60/62 are the same? Or what the differences are if not?

Apparently not. The pic in my post above is from an 82 column and it doesn't match my 62 so I doubt the key cylinder from a 62 would fit an early column. At the very least it seams the pin that holds the cylinder in place is in a different location

Tony

Now, is the BJ60 diesel ignition switch the same as the FJ60? my contacts in the assesory option are making poor contact and not sending enough current to the cig lighter.

82-87 is the same for FJ/HJ/BJ60.

And the same seller as above now has this: EBAY

Part # 69057-90A05 (But these are aftermarket, not Toyota)

ANYBODY happen to have a pic of the FJ62 cylinder they could post (diff angles, please ;))

My 87 Fj62 looks like that but the release is toward the bootom instead of the top.

82-87 is the same for FJ/HJ/BJ60.

And the same seller as above now has this: EBAY

Part # 69057-90A05 (But these are aftermarket, not Toyota)

ANYBODY happen to have a pic of the FJ62 cylinder they could post (diff angles, please ;))

Spike, your wish is my command

Surprisingly the button is NOT on the bottom of my 1990 62. It is on the FRONT as you look at it from the drivers seat, on the side that faces the steering wheel, right behind the wiper control arm. If you look just above my finger you can see a small circle. That is the release button. And yes you can get to it with a small allen wrench and the cylinder will pull out without removing more than the plastic trim that covers the column. I just pulled mine to make sure.

Tony
62 ignition cylinder.jpg

Last edited:
1490478333818-147679543.jpg
I'll just throw this up here, from a 1981 manual for the FBHJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom