1999 ran out of gas now no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That's about it. Put 5 gallons in her.

Rolls over solid, won't start.

Kind of chugged for about 5 seconds right after adding initial gas but now just rolls over.

Disconnected input to fuel filter with key on and rolling over, no gas.

Is there an emergency fuel shut off?

Would this stop the fuel simply because I ran out of gas?

Please help, my baby's at Costco and I don't like to be away from her overnight

Thank you!

Do you hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key on?

Hard to say I was right next to the gas station. I did listen for it but I didn't hear it.

A quick check of my '04 fuse panel list shows fuses 4, 21, 23, 32, 40, 65 are all labeled as having something to do with the fuel injection system. If you ran out of gas, is it possible the pump circuit overheated and blew a fuse?

And of course the obvious; have you waited longer enough while cranking for the gas to get to the engine. (I know, dumb question.)

I've never heard of a fuse going from running out of gas but as usual I am up for anything.

I will check that

No,that is a good quetion, I have tried cranking a little like longer as well as cycling the ignition from off to just before where it rolls over , should hear the fuel pump in this position. No luck from this method either.

And also by the way, there are things in the engine compartment that can ignite gas vapor, so be REAL careful disconnecting gas lines and cranking the engine.

I can't think of any reason the pump should not run when there is gas in the tank, other than a bad fuse or burned out pump. There is history in the 100s of the 20A EFI fuse going bad and causing a crank but no start condition. That would be something to check.

I've had problems with the 20 amp fuse before, but I can here it turning something on and off when I remove and reinstall so Im pretty sure its functioning.

Thanks for looking into that for me sandroad. I'm going to try putting a new fuel filter in it, I don't have a lot of hope in this remedy though.

I will check all the fuses you mentioned earlier too.

I'll let you know what I find.

My 2004LX and 2007LC manual says the same thing. If you have access to an ohmmeter, you should be able to check this out in a couple of mins.

upload_2017-3-25_8-35-56.png

That seems a lot easier than I imagined, probably a good thing to know how to do no matter what the outcome.

Thanks Plano

I went back to Costco to start trouble shooting this morning and she started

I decided to let her run in the parking lot for a minute before attempting to drive home.

She started hard but she started. And then she stopped. She'll run for a minute every now and then but doesn't sound right and then stops.

Doesn't sound like a fuse problem anymore

Now I'm wondering if I got something nasty in the fuel system from running to the bottom of the tank.

Why would you think fuel "filter" if no flow from input side (before filter) or did you mean output side? A clogged filter could stop flow, but I've never heard of this happening in a 100 series and doubt it's your issue.

There is a fuel shut off, but running out of gas shouldn't set it off (shut off fuel).

Some consideration:
You may have air in system (vapor lock). Add more gas and keep staring!
Any chance 5 gal gas can wasn't clean!
While filling did gas flow back out or fill cap area. This can mess with charcoal filter in post 02 models!
Is fuel tank cap OEM and holding pressure. Have tested at parts store!
Are all the wires and vapor/vacuum line connect (found under & coming out from under engine cover)!
Driving with low fuel "light on" exposes fuel pump to air, fuel pump is liquid cooled. Doing this often will weaken fuel pump!

Test fuel pressure. A quick test is to pinch off return line. It's found clipped to back of engine cover on driver side on the 98-02 and I think post 02 as well.

Last edited:
Just spit balling here but you didn't put diesel in it..... or that E85 flex fuel crap did you? If not, it's either bad fuel (water, crud, gunk, wrong gas,etc...) or your pump. It would have to be one heck of a coincidence for it to NOT be related to whatever you pumped in your tank.

Sounds like fuel pump
Hit the tank with a hammer a few times and see if it starts and runs for a bit, if it shuts down hit it again.
It happened to me with my 80 series with a almost full tank of gas. Hard to start, no start, died after 15 or so minutes. I managed to crawl about 50 km to the next town by hitting the tank.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Here's what I've tried and checked

Fuses are all good
Five gallons of premium unleaded added
New fuel filter installed
Battery is @ 13.7 (charging off another car)
Ran a couple times for a minute or two and slowly sputters out.

When I changed filter it wasn't clear gas that came out

Everything I read says the fuel pumps don't go bad in these but maybe that's it.

Would a fuel pump work intermittently?

If I just got some crud somewhere bad might it get flushed out eventually?

Yes, sometimes bad pumps run intermittently.
The one in my 80 and my friends Denali did it

I've never had to tow my cruiser so I have another silly q, in case I don't drive it home.

Does this thing require a flatbed to tow if I'm only going 5 miles down the road

First, yes, a flatbed to tow. All 4 wheels off the ground.

Second, the parts diagram shows another filter just in front of the pump. I wonder if that's got crud in/on it blocking fuel flow?

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Third, are you sure you ran out of gas? Is it possible the engine shut off for other reasons and mimicked running out of gas? For example, you mentioned problems with the 20A EFI fuse/relay before. Just to humor yourself, you might trying replacing those anyway.

Forth, here's a thread that has a pic of an info plate mentioning a fuel pump reset switch?

No start after misfire and alternator replacement

First red flag is that "it wasn't clear gas that came out". You may have crap in injectors, still may have a bad pump. But having non clear fuel is a problem. 5 miles is far enough to ruin things if towed at any kind of speed. I would use flatbed or dollies. Cheap insurance against transmission or transfer case problems. I saw a Range Rover destroy a transfer case by towing without getting all wheels off ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom