Aftermarket headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had good experience w the aftermarket headlights for 08-11 lc ones that mimic the 2013?

No experience with an aftermarket headlamp assembly, but I did install Silvania SilverStar zXe bulbs which made a huge difference. I think I read a thread where someone installed OEM '13+ headlamps with minimal wiring modifications.

My wife likes the led strip so looking for easiest solution as I'm in the market and have passed up some decent deals on 11s soley due to headlights.

Last edited:
Yes I was looking at the first ones. What do you mean by mod the wiring? Anyone know the quality of them?

Yes I was looking at the first ones. What do you mean by mod the wiring? Anyone know the quality of them?

Well, if my memory serves me correct, the '13+ headlamps are not a simple plug and play install. They fit perfectly in the opening of course, but the wires need some slight modification. I am not an electronics guru, but I can't imagine it would be that difficult. I have considered this option as well.

This thread may help:
2009 to 2013 convertion

**This is NOT a comment re the units above... But in general, be very careful buying after-market headlight housing units... There is a lot of stuff that looks good, but that turns out to be leaky, ill-fitting poop.

I ended up with one such specimen when I had my 100. Total garbage. Unfortunately, I do not have great advice on what you SHOULD buy... Just be careful, and assume most are iffy unless you can obtain some sort of legit review & return policy.

If I were to purchase I was going to use my cuti card just in case I wasn't satisfied and they wouldn't refund. Citi has a satisfaction clause that I have used before when buying shutters for my home.

I agree with @Markuson in that I would steer clear of aftermarket head lamps. Personally, I was considering OEM '13+ head lamps but decided to stick with my '11's and install bulbs. If I was still in the market, OEM is the only way I would go as well. I have heard horror stories about leaks on after market.

Ya, I was all set to buy a set of 13's from a fellow mudder a few months back, but an unfortunate accident destroyed them before he could remove em. I do think they look great, and seem to perform well. I think I'll install bulbs similar to yours, @PaulLx470 , and leave it at that. Soon enough, I'll have driving lights on a TJM, so regular headlights will be an afterthought off-road anyway... But in town, I'd like far more regular/high beam.

**This is NOT a comment re the units above... But in general, be very careful buying after-market headlight housing units... There is a lot of stuff that looks good, but that turns out to be leaky, ill-fitting poop.

I ended up with one such specimen when I had my 100. Total garbage. Unfortunately, I do not have great advice on what you SHOULD buy... Just be careful, and assume most are iffy unless you can obtain some sort of legit review & return policy.

I'll add that aftermarket units with projectors are generally inferior to the factory Koito projectors. They often use cheap plastic lenses instead of the glass 3" lens the OEM Koito units, plus an inferior reflector bowl, producing a fuzzy and uneven beam quality.

You can boost the performance of any stock housing simply by adding a good quality LED kit, which puts out comparable output to a good Xenon system (3500 lumens per bulb). The projectors are nice and look good but a large reflector (like the one in the Land Cruiser) can do very well with a good source.

OEM Toyota is the way to go if you are looking for factory fit and finish, non of the aftermarket lamp matches the quality of Toyota Genuine lamp. Look for one made by Depo from Taiwan if aftermarket lamp. I carry Depo brand headlamp for 80 and 100 series and quality is pretty good. Be careful though there are counterfeit Depo lamp as well! :eek:

If anyone is interested in a bit of a project and has the skills I'm swapping out my current setup for a new version - the driver side lowbeam has jsut a bit of a vibration to it but other then that they are decently made and the low beam is solid with great cutoff - the highbeam is decent but with my other lights that's moot....

Iphone 3.26.17 047.JPG
Iphone 3.26.17 050.JPG
Iphone 3.26.17 051.JPG

PM me if interested - will have them boxed up next week.....

Iphone 3.26.17 046.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom