5.3 with champion radiator, hose suggestions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on my 5.3 vortec swap and went with a 3 core champion radiator. I'm sure there are people on here that have this same set up and I'm hoping you can share with me your upper and lower radiator hose part numbers? That will save me going into Oreilly with a metal coat hanger lol.

I'm in the same boat, but plan to use a combination of silicone radiator hoses from Summit and custom aluminum tube for the top end. I did cut the bottom radiator tube to point more favorably towards the water pump.

No luck on a part number on these hoses and the bottom one doesn't help much. RonDavis Radiator with the bottom for a 5.3.

IMG_20170324_182419.jpg

Not sure if the upper helps unless you had them put the upper on the passenger side.

IMG_20170324_182432.jpg

Not sure if the upper helps unless you had them put the upper on the passenger side.

View attachment 1427635
For $199 I had to take it as is which has inlet and outlet on the driver side. Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure someone on here has this combo and off the shelf hoses.

For $199 I had to take it as is which has inlet and outlet on the driver side. Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure someone on here has this combo and off the shelf hoses.
I have the same combo, but I really don't think there's an "off the shelf" solution. Coat hanger and a sharp knife are going to be the tools to make something work.

I have a 6.0 with the stock fj40 radiator and I had to do the parts house search. If your radiator does not have a port for the steam vent you can use a part from Jags That Run to incorporate in the upper hose to plumb the steam vent into. Also, if you find a hose that has the correct shape, but wrong size at the ends, Napa makes adapters, #900 & #901 IIRC to go from 1.75" to 1.5" & to go from 1.5" to 1.25" they make one to go 1.75" to 1.25" but I do not know the part #. I found mine hoses in the marine section of hoses which had different bends that fit better than the auto hoses they had. They let me pilige their hose wall until I found the right shape. remember to fill slow and then run it and recheck, the ls motors can be cranky about getting all the air pockets out when filling initially.

What fan or fans are you guys running with the champion radiator?

I have a 6.0 with the stock fj40 radiator and I had to do the parts house search. If your radiator does not have a port for the steam vent you can use a part from Jags That Run to incorporate in the upper hose to plumb the steam vent into. Also, if you find a hose that has the correct shape, but wrong size at the ends, Napa makes adapters, #900 & #901 IIRC to go from 1.75" to 1.5" & to go from 1.5" to 1.25" they make one to go 1.75" to 1.25" but I do not know the part #. I found mine hoses in the marine section of hoses which had different bends that fit better than the auto hoses they had. They let me pilige their hose wall until I found the right shape. remember to fill slow and then run it and recheck, the ls motors can be cranky about getting all the air pockets out when filling initially.

Yeah I ended up eliminating the steam port entirely on my motor and radiator. That's good to know on the adapterst hough, thank you for the part numbers! I'll be sure to post up my hose part numbers once identified. I am using the stock 5.3L mechanical fan fwiw.
Thanks guys!

You need the steam port to work or you will get air pockets.

My upper is a stock Tahoe with 5.3 and a Ford Contour dual electric fan... but i;m also in a FJ60

im running an fj60 with a 5.3 and a champion rad...
On lower hose im running a gates Gates 25480, which is 20" long and 1.5" ID, but since you are in fj40 Imthinking you will need a shorter hose.... perhaps the Gates 25473 that's about 10" long and 1.5 ID on both ends.

On the top Im running a stock GM hose from the engine to the transitional hose splicer Tee from Jags that run at 1 5/16" to 1.5" and the Tee to 1/4" for the steam port. on the other side of the hose splicer I run a Dayco 70115 Curved Radiator Hose to the top of the rad and both are 1.5 ID.

Hope this helps....

Thank you guys so much! I'll go pick up a stock 5.3 hose and give it a go. Manuchao, that gates lower looks like a good flexible option.
Thanks again!

I use old hoses, pvc pipe and hose clamps to make a good pattern of the hose shape needed. Then I go to NAPA, and ask to go and look through their hoses. Most times I have found a really good fit.

Found the perfect piece of radiator hose for the lower end of my 5.3 and aluminum cross flow radiator. Gates number/label is included.
20170410_170158.jpg

20170410_170144.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom