New OEM o2 sensors, still no voltage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all:

Long-time reader but have never really posted before. I have really appreciated the wealth of knowledge that everyone has here, and their willingness to share and help out. I have been waiting to post to introduce my rig but, honestly, there's nothing really extraordinary about my cruiser. I mean, I really love it and daily drive it, but it's not an awesome, built rig that I see so often here. So, apologies upfront for being that guy that writes in only with a problem.

Ok, here goes. My cruiser is a 1994, 196,161 miles, pretty much stock. I've owned it for just over 11 years. Long story short, the o2 sensors have never really cooperated, and the CEL has been illuminated off and on for much of those years (code 26), not due to my lack of trying to remedy it. I've read a bunch of threads on the code 26, and I understand that bad o2 sensors may or may not be a principle factor in tripping that code. Here's why I think it is, though, due to my o2 sensors: one reason is that I've had to splice in a new pigtail on the right sensor because, at some point, the wires from the pigtail to the harness fell onto the exhaust and melted a couple of the wires. So there's a splice in there that may or may not be good. The other reason is that I can't get a voltage reading within spec for either sensor.

I ordered OEM sensors and installed them this week. The code didn't clear on it's own after a few drives, so I manually cleared it. I checked the voltage in the diagnostics box at that time, and VF1 was reading a fluctuating voltage that WAS within spec (I did the troubleshooting steps, as per the FSM). VF2's voltage was not within spec and was not fluctuating.

I drove it a couple of times (short drives), and the CEL came on again. Same code. Ran the diagnostics again (120 sec at 2500 rpm, etc.), and this time neither sensor was within spec and neither was fluctuating. Cleared code again; CEL came on again after a couple of short drives. Ran diagnostics again with the same result: both sensors reading 0.08 volts steady--no fluctuations.

Honestly, I'm not really bothered by the CEL (that's only half true...I'm pretty tired of it!). I'm mostly concerned that neither sensor (both brand new and OEM) is reading proper voltage. Both sensors have resistance within spec (5.8 and 5.9 ohms). I checked the wiring harness around the ERG valve and that is all intact. I've checked all the ground wires and they look fine. I've done a bunch of basic maintenance things over the past year but doubt that any would have affected the o2 sensors. At this point, I'm thinking maybe it's the ECU/ECM?

If anyone has any experience with this or could offer any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it! Many thanks in advance!!

I had something similar. For me the connector was fairly corroded and that was my problem. I wend to the dealer and got a new housing and new pins, cut the old one off and crimped the new pins, shoved 'em in the connector and that solved my problem.

You can check your connection by doing a Ohm check with a multimeter.
Hope this helps.

I had something similar. For me the connector was fairly corroded and that was my problem. I wend to the dealer and got a new housing and new pins, cut the old one off and crimped the new pins, shoved 'em in the connector and that solved my problem.

You can check your connection by doing a Ohm check with a multimeter.
Hope this helps.

I'll check it out @flagstaff, thanks!

@souzgs, any solutions to tell us about?

I broke a fuel injector connector and needed to order a replacement. Ordered from Chandler Autosport. Actually ordered fuel injector connectors, O2 connectors, knock sensor connectors. Each one was only $3. www.chandlerautosport.com. worth a look.

@flagstaff, thanks for the additional ideas and for checking back. Apologies upfront for the long post...

Here's what's happened. After your suggestion, I took a closer look at both o2 sensor connections and found a small crack in the housing of one wire leading to sensor 2 (the left hand sensor, closest to DS). I just wanted to check continuity and since it wasn't coming in contact with anything else I simply wrapped it a few times with tape. Sensor 1 (under PS) still had a splice in it that I made using heat-shrink butt connectors, so I couldn't tell visually whether or not those connections were good. I checked for voltage without turning the ignition and wasn't getting much. Started it up and did the diagnostics again with the same result: not reading voltage from either sensor.

According to the troubleshooting diagnostics test offered in the FSM the flowchart suggests that if you're still not getting fluctuations in voltage then the next possibility is the ECU (ECM). I jumped on ebay and as chance would have it, someone was selling a used (but verified functioning) ECU for a 1994 cruiser for an incredibly reasonable price. I won the auction and installed it last night.

I fired it up and the CEL disappeared for a split second and then came back on. I pulled the code and this time I was getting a code 21 (bad o2 sensor). I finally felt like I was getting somewhere since code 26 was finally gone! I did the diagnostics and found that sensor 2 was working within spec, sensor 1 wasn't (the one with the splice). So, I undid the butt connectors and simply twisted the ends of the correct wires together...just a quick and dirty connection to see what the result would be. Fired it up and bingo! CEL disappeared! I drove it around last night and the light stayed off. I haven't been able to check it today yet because my teenage daughter wanted to take it to school :)

So, here's what I *think* happened. The bad o2 sensors were malfunctioning for so long with the CEL illuminated and the corresponding code 26, that it essentially "fried" the ECU at those connectionsreadings. I read in another forum something similar: a code had been on so long that even after the malfunctioning part was replaced, the CEL would stay on because the ECU had stopped working properly. So, I had a code 26 and even after I replaced the o2 sensors with OEM parts, the code came back because they weren't functioning properly since the ECU wasn't able to relay any information to/from them (that's my best guess as to how I think it might work). Once I replaced the ECU the code 26 went away only to come on again with a code 21, thus showing the REAL problem--the bad splicing of sensor 1. I fixed the splicing and code 21 disappeared. New o2 sensors and new (repaired) ECU. I'll wait to declare victory outright, but it looks good so far!

Couldn't have gotten this far without all the great advice I've read on 'Mud. Great community!

@flagstaff, thanks for the additional ideas and for checking back. Apologies upfront for the long post...

Here's what's happened. After your suggestion, I took a closer look at both o2 sensor connections and found a small crack in the housing of one wire leading to sensor 2 (the left hand sensor, closest to DS). I just wanted to check continuity and since it wasn't coming in contact with anything else I simply wrapped it a few times with tape. Sensor 1 (under PS) still had a splice in it that I made using heat-shrink butt connectors, so I couldn't tell visually whether or not those connections were good. I checked for voltage without turning the ignition and wasn't getting much. Started it up and did the diagnostics again with the same result: not reading voltage from either sensor.

According to the troubleshooting diagnostics test offered in the FSM the flowchart suggests that if you're still not getting fluctuations in voltage then the next possibility is the ECU (ECM). I jumped on ebay and as chance would have it, someone was selling a used (but verified functioning) ECU for a 1994 cruiser for an incredibly reasonable price. I won the auction and installed it last night.

I fired it up and the CEL disappeared for a split second and then came back on. I pulled the code and this time I was getting a code 21 (bad o2 sensor). I finally felt like I was getting somewhere since code 26 was finally gone! I did the diagnostics and found that sensor 2 was working within spec, sensor 1 wasn't (the one with the splice). So, I undid the butt connectors and simply twisted the ends of the correct wires together...just a quick and dirty connection to see what the result would be. Fired it up and bingo! CEL disappeared! I drove it around last night and the light stayed off. I haven't been able to check it today yet because my teenage daughter wanted to take it to school :)

So, here's what I *think* happened. The bad o2 sensors were malfunctioning for so long with the CEL illuminated and the corresponding code 26, that it essentially "fried" the ECU at those connectionsreadings. I read in another forum something similar: a code had been on so long that even after the malfunctioning part was replaced, the CEL would stay on because the ECU had stopped working properly. So, I had a code 26 and even after I replaced the o2 sensors with OEM parts, the code came back because they weren't functioning properly since the ECU wasn't able to relay any information to/from them (that's my best guess as to how I think it might work). Once I replaced the ECU the code 26 went away only to come on again with a code 21, thus showing the REAL problem--the bad splicing of sensor 1. I fixed the splicing and code 21 disappeared. New o2 sensors and new (repaired) ECU. I'll wait to declare victory outright, but it looks good so far!

Couldn't have gotten this far without all the great advice I've read on 'Mud. Great community!

To prove your theory you should reinstall the original ECM.

To prove your theory you should reinstall the original ECM.

@ppc, that's probably a good idea. To be honest, though, that damn CEL has been staring me in the face for so long that I'm a little hesitant to go anywhere near anything that might trip it again. But for the sake of gaining more knowledge on the subject, I suppose it might be worth it...

Oh, and sorry for the duplicate post above. It didn't appear as if what I had written had posted, so I posted it again later, only to have both show up. And I can't seem to figure out a way to delete it. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom