Replacing axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a buddy looking to scratch the itch and buy a 100. He's found one at an independent dealer, 2000 LX, 200k miles, around $10k, it appears pretty clean. He shared the carfax w/me, the one odd item was that in 2012 they had the axles replaced. They were "checked" again in 2014. Carfax, not a lot of detail...
I've been reading a ton a threads, but haven't seen much on this.

front or rear?

Got a buddy looking to scratch the itch and buy a 100. He's found one at an independent dealer, 2000 LX, 200k miles, around $10k, it appears pretty clean. He shared the carfax w/me, the one odd item was that in 2012 they had the axles replaced. They were "checked" again in 2014. Carfax, not a lot of detail...
I've been reading a ton a threads, but haven't seen much on this.
A little more detail on the carfax: "front axles replaced/repaired"....by Lexus dealer. 150k miles.

sorry, that's all the detail he gets from carfax!

I replaced the front axles at 180k because I didn't feel like rebuilding them :)

Axle replacement or reboot is a plus provided done right. He can call Dealer to find out what they used (New or used OEM or Aftermarket).

thanks, guys.
I was kinda curious, figured under normal conditions as a DD, they would last longer than 150k.
I'll have him check w/the Lexus dealer.

Most common reasons front drive shaft's replaced:
Improper wheel bearing service damaging axle & axle hub flange teeth (D to N clunk). In this case they replace axle hub flange at same time.
Boot leak so they just replace rather than rebooting.
Boot leak running CV bearings dry of grease (clicking sound).

I am planning on rebooting or ordering new Toyota axles this summer. With 222150 miles the original axle assemblies it is time to make a move. Original boots are OK from what can be seen.
20170325_075648.jpg

Actually, I see issues with your inboard small boot clamp, surprise it's not leaking. I also see what appears to be minor seepage on same boot, from seal around large end.

If the CV joint, snap ring groove and spline teeth pass inspection re-band (clamp) is 5 minute fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom