What's bare minimums for a fj40 for rubicon trail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to correct some advice above, if you can only have 1 locker, it needs to be in the rear.

I think 33 inch tires are on the small side, but with careful use should be OK. Tires do not matter that much-plenty of AT type tires go through just fine. But any sort of AT or MT in good shape with a matching spare will be fine. Traction is generally good.

Gearing is critical. If you have anyway to get radically lower gearing-like an SM420 transmission, that will make more difference than anything else. If you don't you will bounce over may boulders that others smoothly roll over. Unfortunately, real gearing is $$$, so that may not be in the cards.

Do you have power steering? Hopefully you do, because armstrong steering in rocks and boulders is a work out.

The intact tightness of your knuckle studs, checked at every stop, will prevent a lot of pain on the trail.

But I think you should go, assuming you meet the minimum TLCA requirements, because after that, you will for sure know how to prioritize the build of your truck. Something like this:

Power steering
Gearing
Lockers
Lift
Tires
Winch

We ran it multiple times in the 70s and 80s stone stock with 31s/33s. My pictures from those days show everyone smiling, but the post-mortem always involved beating out sheet metal or adding 'protection ' for the next trip.:)

so true - I lived in Reno in the early 90s and, on the weekends, lived up on the Rubicon. I had a FJ40 with open diffs and 32s. Now? I wonder if that same rig would make it through...

so true - I lived in Reno in the early 90s and, on the weekends, lived up on the Rubicon. I had a FJ40 with open diffs and 32s. Now? I wonder if that same rig would make it through...

If you go after the Jeepers Jamboree, it's always easier. Every year the rock stackers work like ants. Every winter Nature pushes the reset button.

Reset button is gonna be strong this year too..

How much fuel do you guys carry on the Rubicon? I have a stock 1F. I plan on adding a sniper efi some day but have a carb for now. I know my factory tank won’t hold enough to get me through. Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

How much fuel do you guys carry on the Rubicon? I have a stock 1F. I plan on adding a sniper efi some day but have a carb for now. I know my factory tank won’t hold enough to get me through. Sorry for dragging up an old thread.
a full jerry can and you should be fine......

are you going in a huge slow moving group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom