Different options of cylinder head for BJ40 (B diesel) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally i overhauled the b diesel. It looks like B, but it is 2B inside (3,2)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Magnificent!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

Nice :clap:

You might have trouble replacing your fuel filter cartridge once your lower radiator hose and clamp are in place.

For a while I used to search and buy the OEM-size (original fitment) low-height cartridges to solve this interference problem - but then I found these to be very scarce and at silly-high prices.

So my next step was to shim my mount on the intake manifold to raise the whole thing away from my radiator hose ... but then that looked ugly.

So finally I moved the whole thing onto a new mount on the side of my battery tray....

Of course you can stick with what you've got and simply unbolt the holder from the manifold each time you replace a cartridge. (But of course it's difficult to unscrew and screw-up the cartridge when the holder is no longer fixed to the manifold.)

- Just recalling my dilemma ... Perhaps for some reason you don't have the same problem.

:)

You'll have to post a video of this beautiful engine when it's running. (I'd love to see it purring away.)

Dear Lostmarbles,

Thanks for your hints.
I had a look at the filters and it looks like the original 23303-56031 is 8 mm shorter
Diesel filters.jpg

I hope the OEM will fit and work well (SST for this filter is already in my collection)
SST.jpg

If not I will follow the "logical" location (from restoration prospective I prefer the original location, but from the maintenance prospective the "logical" is much better)
fuel filter location.JPG

PS When I finish my BJ43 project I will publish the history, pictures and video for sure!

Dear Lostmarbles,

Thanks for your hints.
I had a look at the filters and it looks like the original 23303-56031 is 8 mm shorter

I hope the OEM will fit and work well (SST for this filter is already in my collection)

If not I will follow the "logical" location (from restoration prospective I prefer the original location, but from the maintenance prospective the "logical" is much better)
View attachment 1311421

PS When I finish my BJ43 project I will publish the history, pictures and video for sure!

23303-56031 is certainly listed on the EPC as being my original-fitment 56031 fuel filter. But that image does NOT represent the original depth of that filter.

So I just went back into my records now and have found that sometimes I used the Ryco equivalent. For instance in November 1981 I fitted Ryco Z127 (which at that time had exactly the same dimensions as the original Toyota 23303-56031).

This image below correctly shows the smaller size (which fits the original location on an early B-engine the best and which I later found became too scarce and expensive to keep on fitting).
Z127.jpg

I see in October 1982 I was still fitting 23303-56031 (and did so again in April 1983 and again in January 1985). At all these times I experienced no fitment issues so I'm certain Toyota later-on increased the depth without changing their part number.

It wasn't until May 1988 - when I bought two WIX 33388 fuel filters - that I first experienced a problem with extra-depth.

Thereafter, sourcing the best-fit (shorter-depth) cartridges just got more and more difficult/expensive regardless of where I attempted to get my filters from (although the Internet wasn't an option back in those days).

- interesting

:beer:

Last edited:
Nice work. Glad I found this thread to bookmark.

I notice your not running a oil cooler. Is that by choice or did your B not come with one?

External oil cooler in Europe was for B diesel until 09/1977.
In Australia and general markets it was until 07/1980 (in 08/1980 it was upgraded to 3B type integrated oil cooler).
My European BJ43 was produced in 11/1979 - so there were no oil cooler from the factory
IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_3006.JPG

For those who like original look of B/2B/3B venturi pipes

IMG_3218.JPG

Oem Parts are not available, but could be copied
Two clear oil resistant pipes (30cm long, 8mm ID), zinc wire 0,8mm, long bolt M6
IMG_3211.JPG

Put wire on the bolt
IMG_3212.JPG

Unscrew the spring
IMG_3215.JPG

Carefully expand the spring
IMG_3213.JPG

What purpose did the spring serve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom