Stereo FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question:

In the stock radio, what is the other interface used for? The wire harness plugs into the port on the right of the picture.. What does the port to the left side do?

When I plugged my factory radio in, I just had the main harness, Antenna and power available to use. Is that for some sort of AUX functionality?

toyota_landcruis_2000_radio_audio_208657_04.jpg

I might swap out my OEM head unit in my 2000 LC....in dash 6cd player with this:
Amazon.com: Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation

I know these will be a little larger than abnormal double din...so I was looking at this:
Amazon.com: DKMUS Double Din Radio DVD Stereo Frame for Lexus Lx-470 2002-2008 Toyota Lc-100 1998-2003 Dash Trim Kit Fascia Inner Size 173*98mm Black: Car Electronics

I am having a hard time finding the other exact wire harnesses I will need. I will need the harness to plug into the head unit and also one to continue using the factory amp. Or I could bypass the amp if it isn't too time consuming. I am feeling a bit lazy lately.

I might swap out my OEM head unit in my 2000 LC....in dash 6cd player with this:
Amazon.com: Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation

I know these will be a little larger than abnormal double din...so I was looking at this:
Amazon.com: DKMUS Double Din Radio DVD Stereo Frame for Lexus Lx-470 2002-2008 Toyota Lc-100 1998-2003 Dash Trim Kit Fascia Inner Size 173*98mm Black: Car Electronics

I am having a hard time finding the other exact wire harnesses I will need. I will need the harness to plug into the head unit and also one to continue using the factory amp. Or I could bypass the amp if it isn't too time consuming. I am feeling a bit lazy lately.

I am not 100% sure on the 100 but the LX there is no plug and play harness everything has to be spliced in heres the info TLC FAQ

Question:

In the stock radio, what is the other interface used for? The wire harness plugs into the port on the right of the picture.. What does the port to the left side do?

When I plugged my factory radio in, I just had the main harness, Antenna and power available to use. Is that for some sort of AUX functionality?

View attachment 1403250

I don't have that same radio, but pretty sure it is a connection point for the Toyota unique AVC-LAN. Used for things like an external DVD changer mechanism, etc. Mt memory is getting fuzzy now but IIRC, the Grom product I had on my 2011 Tacoma used it to connect for things like an iPod.

If interested, you can read some info here.

Thanks man!

After I baseline my 01 LX, i'm going to upgrade the head unit. I made a note that a Metra TYTO-01 works with the ML radio. Not sure if I read that in this forum or an a review for that product. So if anyone tried to use this Metra adapter with a Non Nav ML radio, i'd like to know. If no one responds, i'll respond back when I get to this upgrade.

Also, the DKMUS Double Din Radio DVD Stereo Frame mentioned above, does it get in the way when a aftermarket radio tilt when you place a disc in the radio? Does the factory radio bracket fit on an aftermarket radio or do we need to source that somewhere else?

anyone know how to remove the fake wood trim that goes around the shifter area? I just recently got a bluetooth adapter and want to try and tuck the wires in behind there if possible. This is what I'm referring to:

33500388611_6c912418a6_b.jpg

Ok, so it looks like I will cut the wires off the harness on the factory side, hard wire them to the harness supplied with the head unit....and use the amp bypass harness. Also might need the dash trim. Correct?

Ok, so it looks like I will cut the wires off the harness on the factory side, hard wire them to the harness supplied with the head unit....and use the amp bypass harness. Also might need the dash trim. Correct?
Yes sir I found the dash trim on ebay for alot less cost than amazon once I get home I'll send you the link

Yes sir I found the dash trim on ebay for alot less cost than amazon once I get home I'll send you the link

Great, thanks. I am going to order everything this weekend in preparation for a 20 hour round trip we have coming up next month. Wiring party in Weaverville or wherever? ;)

@jdayment @Greenbean

anyone know how to remove the fake wood trim that goes around the shifter area? I just recently got a bluetooth adapter and want to try and tuck the wires in behind there if possible. This is what I'm referring to:

33500388611_6c912418a6_b.jpg

You can use a plastic trim piece kit to pull/peel it away. But there no space to tuck that under.

I have been getting static sounds only thru the front speakers intermittently. Sometimes from right or left. I ran ground to the stereo and went for a test drive. Came back after a few miles. I wrapped the Metra RCA's with wire and connected them to ground, still no good. I think the Metra adapter i have doesn't work with my stereo.

When i use fade to adjust to the FRONT speakers i can hear the FL/RR speaker. When i adjust to the REAR i hear the FR and RL. Not sure if i got a bad Metra harness. But i plan on getting a 5 channel amp and using the RCA speaker outs instead. I think this will solve my problem.

Heres the harness im using: Amazon.com: Metra 70-8113 Amplifier Integration Harness for Select 2000-2004 Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

I plan on getting this amp. Any know if it will fit under PS seat?
Amazon.com: Pioneer GM-D9605 Gm Digital Series Class D Amp (5-Channel Bridgeable, 2,000W Max): PIONEER CAR: Electronics

The pioneer website reports size as: 12.4 x 2 x 7.87

I'm using a Clarion Marine amp (also five channels), a bit less power definitely fits, more water resistant (marine grade).

The pioneer website reports size as: 12.4 x 2 x 7.87

I'm using a Clarion Marine amp (also five channels), a bit less power definitely fits, more water resistant (marine grade).

OOOOOO....

I like how you think! I have a 12" sub powered by a 150w amp and the rest by the HU and it sounds fine. This will work as well but water resistant. Thanks man. :beer:

I wanted to add that the adaptor/trim ordered of Amazon was a bust. The seller sent me the incorrect item (sent an adaptor for a GX470) and said all the right things to keep amazon off his back, but ultimately failed to send the the correct piece. I too turned to eBay for the correct item at a lower cost.

I didn't touch the speakers or the sub. No need to yet.

The Geek Squad guy stated he sat with a voltmeter on the RCA outputs and noticed a change in output voltage as the engine RPMs increased. No real reasoning given. Just the only thing he noticed out of wack. He stated he called their "guru squad" and after a ten minutes they came to the same conclusion and Best Buy stopped doing LX installs shortly thereafter. He also stated that it was the only one probably twenty of his installs to blow the factory amp in the 13 years of his installing. He has only seen four come back with blown amps as well and all four were with very low end HU's and seemed to be very regional. He actually stated a specific store in Greenville SC, that had numerous poor results?

Also remember that RCA outputs are designed for RCA inputs.. NOT speaker inputs as the Nakamichi has. Maybe after market amps have resistors installed in the inputs?

Food for thought.. If one could gauge what the correct input voltage to the Nakamichi is, it is theoretically possible to put resistors inline between the RCA and the speaker line outs, before the split to speaker wire. This would give a consistent voltage flow?!?

I wonder if this has something to do with factory head unit control that you can turn on and off that makes the music louder while driving and quieter at redlights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom