Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love them. Definitely going to consider moving up to 9.00r16 but I'll need to change up suspension a bit. Thinking shackle reversal for the front if I don't convert to a coil front. But that's way down the road.

The tires themseves perform flawlessly off road. On road they wander a bit at highway speed on account of their narrowness.

@divemedic ...... "The tires themseves perform flawlessly off road. On road they wander a bit at highway speed on account of their narrowness."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine also wanders a bit at highway speed but in my case it's a result of my advanced age and lack of attention.

Last edited:
@divemedic ...... "The tires themseves perform flawlessly off road. On road they wander a bit at highway speed on account of their narrowness."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine also wanders a bit at highway speed but in my case it's a result of my advanced age and lack of attention.
Seeing as my highway speed is 60km/h (37mph) I have no issues.

@1978HJ45 fortunately age is on my side for the time being!

@NanaMaru I find myself cruising at 60/65 so it interesting to say the least compared to oki. Also I haven't got your package out yet this trip has been considerably more involved then I imagined. My apologies.

Axel rebuilds will be coming soon the rear started weeping on the trip back home :doh:

IMG_0631.JPG

I'm going to after the break in period. Which is now-ish. I'm replacing the lower spring pans and pulling a leaf out of the back. I just didn't want to cut twice :hillbilly:

Beno had a picture of a sweet ubolt flip, alas poor yoric, my ubolts are not trimmed either

Deal I couldn't pass up curtesy of @WanderinWhitlows . Comeup 24v winch and factory snorkel. Both have a place on the shelf for a bit as I need a bumper and paint. But these future purchases shifted left. Now is time to start prepping for Cruise Moab 2018 (@Cavalier2000 get your leave in the books!)

IMG_1480.JPG

My apologies to Odd Iron Off-Road and @cruiseroutfit, I keep promising to drop coin there but life intervenes and priorities shift right :mad:

Deal I couldn't pass up curtesy of @WanderinWhitlows . Comeup 24v winch and factory snorkel. Both have a place on the shelf for a bit as I need a bumper and paint. But these future purchases shifted left. Now is time to start prepping for Cruise Moab 2018 (@Cavalier2000 get your leave in the books!)

View attachment 1465307

My apologies to Odd Iron Off-Road and @cruiseroutfit, I keep promising to drop coin there but life intervenes and priorities shift right :mad:

I found the Come-Up manual and hook after I got back to the shop. Glad I gave you the Warn hook as it's definitely bigger and the spring gate is allot easier to manipulate with gloves on. PM me your mailing address and I'll post the manual too you so you can keep it in the 77.

@cruiseroutfit (ers)

Thank you so much! I can't say enough about this company. I needed suspension before an upcoming mon-long trip. They were able to get everything I needed in enough time to complete the install.

Stay tuned, OME kit, steering bars, engine mounts, fuel filter and a few other things will be happing soon.

View attachment 1383586
divemedic,

Did you get the light/medium or heavy duty lift kit?

I did medium. Iirc, both my front springs were "plus" and the rear, one was "plus" one was "neutral". I put the "plus" spring on the driver's side out back. The "plus/minus" mean the spring is </>10% for the desired rate but still in tolerance. After several 1000 miles with off road and heavy weight I feel they have settled well and I plan to take a leaf out back. I may end up adding a leaf up front after my bumper/winch install too.

I love them. Definitely going to consider moving up to 9.00r16 but I'll need to change up suspension a bit. Thinking shackle reversal for the front if I don't convert to a coil front. But that's way down the road.

The tires themseves perform flawlessly off road. On road they wander a bit at highway speed on account of their narrowness.

I have had extremely aggressive tires on some of my trucks. FJ60 lifted on 35" Maxxis Creepies and wander is due to caster most of the time. What is your caster at? On my 60 I mention I did a cut and turn setting caster to 4.5* and the truck drove incredibly awesome. 70mph in 4wd on pavement and it was two fingers on the wheel no probs.

Not that hard to convert it to an 80-series coil sprung front end. Of course you will need all the 80 coil stuff but I have cut this off an 80 chassis before and welded it back on a different frame. I have seen 80 rolling chassis for sale before without locking diffs for as cheap as a few hundred bucks. Heck I once traded three 35" MTR tires for an 80 chassis! It is something that if you did all your research before hand and have the right tools you could do it in a long weekend.

Great looking truck by the way!

Cheers

I have had extremely aggressive tires on some of my trucks. FJ60 lifted on 35" Maxxis Creepies and wander is due to caster most of the time. What is your caster at? On my 60 I mention I did a cut and turn setting caster to 4.5* and the truck drove incredibly awesome. 70mph in 4wd on pavement and it was two finders on the wheel no probs.

Not that hard to convert it to an 80-series coil sprung front end. Of course you will need all the 80 coil stuff but I have cut this off an 80 chassis before and welded it back on a different frame. I have seen &0 rolling chassis for sale before without locking riffs for as cheap as a few hundred bucks. Heck I once trade three 35" MTR tires for an 80 chassis! It is something that if you did all your research erode hand and have the right tools you could do in a long weekend.

Great looking truck by the way!

Cheers

I've got my alignment specs posted somewhere in the build. Honestly I feel the wander is mostly attributed to 8 inch wide contact on a truck original designed to drive on the other side of the road. And road seams. Road seams suck...

I'm looking at cable locked 60 axels or hi pinion 80 axels in the future with a 3-linked coil conversion. But that is so far in the future because I want it to be a project my kids and I do together. In all reality given the time, it will likely be custom from the axels to the housing and everything associated. For now I want to get the body perfect and 100% mechanically sound.

Again, check your caster. A $20 digital level or angle cube and you will know exactly what it is. When you lift a truck it rolls the axle and takes caster out of spec. On top of this increasing tire size and caster should increase as well, above stock specs. One or two degrees makes a big difference.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom