FJ40 OEM wheel powder coating RAL codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0938.JPG
Got my wheels back from powder coating today and they look kickass with my new BFG M/T's wrapped around them. I used an asa90 machine grey color and they came out great.

Sweet! Never seen steelies with off road tires and no wheel weights! Most of mine have three weights and some of those are like 4 inches long!

Sweet! Never seen steelies with off road tires and no wheel weights! Most of mine have three weights and some of those are like 4 inches long!
They put them on the backside of the rim. The wheels were fresh out of the oven when Richard at Powder Tech Plus hand delivered them to the tire store for me. The guys at the Discount Tire store in Fleming Island wanted to make sure they didn't leave chips on the outer surface. I was Cruising through your neighborhood yesterday Kayaker when I took my 40 out for a test drive after fixing a leaky radiator hose.

Fortunate. All five of my wheels are adorned front and back with one of the finest collections of wheel weights imaginable! I'm impressed that the tire guys were taking enough pride in their work to look out for the appearance of the wheels when they were done (and to actually think about before having damaged them). Sorry I didn't see you motoring about; I'd have loved to check out the wheels. Let me know if you want a once-over from an experienced eye before the show. I might be able to give you some hints about what folks notice and what they don't and hence what you may want to spend time on and what you might ignore.

Fortunate. All five of my wheels are adorned front and back with one of the finest collections of wheel weights imaginable! I'm impressed that the tire guys were taking enough pride in their work to look out for the appearance of the wheels when they were done (and to actually think about before having damaged them). Sorry I didn't see you motoring about; I'd have loved to check out the wheels. Let me know if you want a once-over from an experienced eye before the show. I might be able to give you some hints about what folks notice and what they don't and hence what you may want to spend time on and what you might ignore.

I had followed the reccomendations on RAL 7036

IMG_2855.JPG

Add the classical tubes (7.00-R16)
IMG_3794.JPG

Now it fits to my project BJ43
IMG_3795.JPG

Last edited:
Those tires look like what was issued back in the day...Sweet!

RAL 7043
33892425411_9830ddf612_b.jpg

I'm not familiar with Powder Coating at all ... What's the difference between RAL and ASA codes, and which one do I want? :D

Just bought a set of new Steelies and am going to Powder Coat and trying to decide if Gloss, Satin, etc.

What's more durable.

Will be going on a Freeborn Red '74

:)

@Spike Strip first off, I'm also a fellow '74 Freeborn red owner. When I inquired about the powder coating multiple sources advised me they would have to take off the factory coating and redo. Ranging from $65-85/wheel. Since I paid $85/wheel new I went with epoxy primer and rattle can machinery grey. @1MAC already the epoxy so $21 worth of rattle can latter I was very happy and it's very durable. Just throwing that out there as an option. Cheers.

IMG_5797.JPG

I'm not familiar with Powder Coating at all ... What's the difference between RAL and ASA codes, and which one do I want? :D

Just bought a set of new Steelies and am going to Powder Coat and trying to decide if Gloss, Satin, etc.

What's more durable.

What's more durable.

I'm not a powder coating expert either, but my understanding is that powder coating is more durable and protects better against rust than paint, but requires media blasting off the black factory primer. I paid about $50/wheel for the blasting and coating. I wasn't aware/offered any finish choices such as gloss, satin, etc. so I'm not sure that's even possible with powder coating. RAL is just a color chart, one among many (ANSI, etc)

Last edited:
I am not a professional either but different finishes can be had with powder such as gloss, matte, wrinkle.

For powder to look the best, the item needs to be stripped. Most places sandblast as its the easiest and cheapest method to strip to the bare surface for coating.

I've had wheels powdered and painted. I prefer powder for for most everything but with a good painter and prep, painting can hold up very nicely and clean off just as easily. Powder is nice because it is baked on which makes it more durable, but you can bake paint if you really want to get into that for a more durable finish during the drying process. It also helps with making a spray can job look even.

@Spike Strip You'll want to do gloss if your end goal is restoration/OEM.

My local powder coater quoted $100/wheel for blasting and coating

I will be doing paint on my steelies as well.

Try another shop that is pretty bad. I paid $70 a piece which I though was high and that was to blast 60s chrome wheels. The guy said if they weren't chromed it would be $35 each.

I was quoted $100 per wheel too. Considering the wheels are brand new with only one coat of factory paint on them I figured it would be less. When I was in college, I worked on a DC-9 and the mechanic had me paint the wheels with this super nasty stuff. It was that perfect grey color. With all the heat cycles and nasty fluids it has to stand up to I'm sure it's more then up to the task. Boeing probably specs what paint can be used. Maybe one of the mechanics over in the Ultimate Airplane Thread would know what type of paint is used.

I haven't logged on since I sold my Cruiser over a year ago but had to bump this thread for the great info.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what color Toyota used for the white OEM split rims?
It was used for several markets in 1979-1983 (In Japan mainly).
94A3C1C4-5626-49A8-B7BD-ADA297388DE8.jpeg

EB0BC32D-546D-4186-99BA-C3F5F40BCC55.jpeg

BC047CCA-0296-45EA-8C5E-77FA084AB369.jpeg

Some people use similar color for the new non split rims
C6A179F8-081B-4FE5-9A1C-D5B7E210337E.jpeg

I wonder what is the RAL code for such rims? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom