GROUP BUY - MMP Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for organizing this and managing all the particulars!
Thanks for the recognition!

It is a reasonable amount of work, but we are on track to making a nice saving on what I believe should be a great product for our cruisers.

As MMP make the bearings, assemble, QA and balance in house, the turbo is completely rebuild-able, unlike some ball bearing turbos. As ball bearing turbos require less oil lubrication than journal bearing turbos, an oil restrictor is already installed in the CHRA.

Can you check how much extra it would be to purchase an extra bearing assembly? As per our PMs, since these are custom units, the turbos will only be rebuildable if the bearing assembly is available and if MMP isn't around at a later date, we might not be able to rebuild.

Cut Off & Payment Dates
The cut off date to participate in this group buy will be Monday 27th of March. All interested parties will be required to confirm their commitment by this date to qualify for the group purchase.
Once your participation is confirmed, I will send you some questions to answer (e.g. waste gate preference and spring tension) and payment details. This payment will be required in full on or before the 31st of April.

Based on the estimated shipping date at the end of April I suspect you meant to put March 31 as the required payment date?

Can you check how much extra it would be to purchase an extra bearing assembly? As per our PMs, since these are custom units, the turbos will only be rebuildable if the bearing assembly is available and if MMP isn't around at a later date, we might not be able to rebuild.

Based on the estimated shipping date at the end of April I suspect you meant to put March 31 as the required payment date?
Yes I can ask for the price for an extra bearing cartridge.

And yes you are correct. I did mean the 31st of March. I will fix that up now.
Thanks for pointing that out!

For those following I have just updated the opening post to correct my error for the final payment date. I did have the final payment as the 31st of April, the correct date is the 31st of March.
I apologize for the error and thanks @MonsterCruiser for pointing it out!

Hi all, time for a numbers update.
As it sits right now we have the following numbers ready to purchase:
8 at the 10 - 15 price. - Only 2 required for the group buy to proceed!
1 at the 20+ price.
and 15 who have told me they are interested but I have not got a commitment from yet.
I will be contacting these people over the next couple of days.

I have asked Luke for about the spare bearing cartridge/core.
He said if you like he can include a major overhaul rebuild kit including all wear componants if you would like.

RRP for the major overhaul kit is AU$550, if you add this as an extra with the group buy the price will be AU$475.
As another option he can add a full CHRA (with wheels and full balance). RRP is $1180, as part of the group buy AU$950.

That's very expensive bearing!
Yes its not cheap for a bearing! There are a couple of ways to look at this.

1. The thinking was if the bearing was needed for a rebuild, then the other wear parts would also be necessary. Hence the overhaul kit.
2. The other factor is that this is a locally manufactured (in house) bearing using ceramic balls imported from Germany. This is as you mention not a cheap (read mass produced to a price) bearing.

P.S. This is not a cheap turbo either

Yeah, you make good points
at face value it sounds ridiculously expensive when rebuild kits for other turbos can be had for around $100
I think selling/buying a rebuild kit, not just a bearing makes good sense.

I'm not sure a small production run bearing is necessarily a good thing vs mass produced, but no idea really.

I'm not sure a small production run bearing is necessarily a good thing vs mass produced, but no idea really.
I agree there is room for potential issues here.
I'm guess I'm banking on the fact that MMP have been building turbos for the motorsport industries for 10 years already, and are still in business. I hope this means they have a good idea about what it is they are doing.

The bearing core this turbo uses is not a new development for them, only sizing of the wheels and housings to suit our cruisers is.

Just for a little more info Luke told me the other day that he is testing this turbo for a patrol and it was on the dyno on the weekend. It is running 26psi spring pressure on the gate (35psi boost target via boost controller) and made 35psi boost by 2000rpm! Due to the high gate pressure the boost would spike to 40 before settling down to 35.

I have asked Luke for about the spare bearing cartridge/core.
He said if you like he can include a major overhaul rebuild kit including all wear componants if you would like.

RRP for the major overhaul kit is AU$550, if you add this as an extra with the group buy the price will be AU$475.
As another option he can add a full CHRA (with wheels and full balance). RRP is $1180, as part of the group buy AU$950.

Thanks for looking into this! :)

As far as buying a rebuild kit I can see the thought process behind buying an extra since this is a more custom turbo vs a journal bearing CT26. However, I feel like something terrible would have to happen or it will be a super long time for that ball bearing section to wear out
That is my belief also.
FWIW Luke tells me that at shaft speeds over 165k rpm, the wear on the bearing races begins to increase dramatically. This is the only reason he has told people not to run with the gate wired shut.
Thanks for looking into this! :)
No problem mate.

Do you know what kind of boost that would be?
No I don't actually. I can ask if you would like. I do have a modded compressor map if it will help.
From my conversations with Luke the compressor would be falling very low in the efficiency board and it would be better than a 3.5 pressure ratio or 50psi in an ideal world, thats if it even gets there without choke or popping hoses and things due to the heat of the charge.

No I don't actually. I can ask if you would like. I do have a modded compressor map if it will help.
From my conversations with Luke the compressor would be falling very low in the efficiency board and it would be better than a 3.5 pressure ratio or 50psi in an ideal world, thats if it even gets there without choke or popping hoses and things due to the heat of the charge.

Im not that concerned, just wondering. I'm sure it's way beyond what I would be pushing

Id like to see the map that does 3.5 PR and doesn't surge at 1500rpm and can go past 3000rpm. That would be a wondrous thing.
This is what I have been given @gerg
It seems to fit the bill from my (admittedly limited) understanding.

Hmm, for the money your paying I'd be going for a more modern compressor with a wider Map. That is a gtx 71 trim compressor. 3.5 pr by the way is perhaps 50lbs absolute, but not 50lbs of boost. It's sort of misleading for a turbo guy to include atmospheric in an explanation if he did. 3.5 pr is 36lbs of boost and you would be running with very little margin. Better to run 3pr.

Righto. Thanks.
The 50psi was me reading that map and not remembering that all this is absolute. My mistake, not misdirection from anyone. My mistake. He did tell me the compressor was based on the GTX 3071 gen2 but with his own mods. You will also see that map stops at 150k rpm, and I have extrapolated to predict where 165k might be. I am also assuming that it is not at choked flow by that speed.
Luke has also mentioned that he could be shipping these with a 7+7 blade compressor that would fatten the map as you are saying while also flowing better up top.
I have not done any research on compressor design so I have to take his word in that.
Comments please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom