Ironman Front Strut Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,

I noticed a squeaking noise from the front suspension only when going over speed bumps at perfect 90 degree angle such that both front tires flex up and down the same. No noise during angled approaches or normal driving. Inspection reveals that my Ironman front strut cylinder housing is contacting the coil.

This Ironman kit was installed 4 months ago, no problems so far, and I did adjust the front struts by 0.5 inches before I started noticing the noise.

Any advice?

Hey everybody,

I noticed a squeaking noise from the front suspension only when going over speed bumps at perfect 90 degree angle such that both front tires flex up and down the same. No noise during angled approaches or normal driving. Inspection reveals that my Ironman front strut cylinder housing is contacting the coil.

This Ironman kit was installed 4 months ago, no problems so far, and I did adjust the front struts by 0.5 inches before I started noticing the noise.

Any advice?
Not really sure whatcha got going on there, can ya post some pics? paging @MScruiser

Adding a little tension to the spring probably tweaked it a bit.

@RTaylor had a similar problem. He realized that the spring was a little torqued and was rubbing on the inner strut Busching. After applying a light coat of moly grease to the contact area, the squeak went away.

He still owes me a beer for helping him. ;)

I have something similar and actually replaced the spring. Visible inspection of the old spring confirm that it was hitting the body. Its better now, but a certain type of compression will still result in a sort of "thunk". I also have an issue where this side feels noticeably stiffer than the other side which is most obvious when traveling straight over one of those larger/longer type speed bumps that you can hit at speed. Its really bothering me and I'm not sure if I should try to replace the whole shock now too.

Try BREAKFREE/WD40 on top of strut. I had the same problem with my OME. Smooth sailing since.

Thanks all. I guess the bigger question is: should this contact be considered a malfunction, or "within normal limits?"

If the coil is contacting something. You have a problem. Get it handled asap.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Other side is not doing this.

IMG_6131.png
IMG_6129.png

I have the same issue, as my soon-to-be drinking bud @MScruiser said. Moly grease eliminated the noise.

Too much lift perhaps? Or I think the coil isn't seated in the top hat properly (not centered).

My IM shocks at little less than year and half old. Squeaks like a mutha.
You sure its not your UCA squaking?
I had the first gen SPC UCA without the greasable ball joint fitting and they talked more thsn my three year old daughter. Switch the ball joint to the mewer version with the grease fitting and now if i hear any sqeaking i just hit them eith a bit of grease and they quite right down

@FDMD Was this problem ever resolved? It appears my Ironman coils are also having the same issue. I have the constant load springs. I've only had them on since March, so less than 5k miles on them. I did have them adjusted up a little more and this seems to have corrected the problem for now, but they are very close to rubbing on the shock still. Are you running the heavier springs?

I have been continued to be dogged by bad squeaking and now a new groaning from my front suspension for months. Noted that the front coils contacts the shock tube and wondered if that was causing it.

My installer keeps saying that’s just the way it is.

John at Ironman USA said:
"I would first take the coil over out of the vehicle and place it into a spring compressor. Double check everything to be in the correct location. Then re-install into the vehicle. I would place the vehicle on the ground before torquing the suspension pats down."

Took it to Camelback Toyota and Murph said:
Looked closer at the coilovers and as you already knew the spring is hitting the top of the shock body. The shocks are centered and it comes down to the fact that the shock is too large for the diameter of the coils. Tom feels that no amount of R&R will fix the rubbing. We can try if you want but more than likely just a waste of $356…I would use that money to go with another brand front coilover set up. You can leave the rear alone.

I’m out of ideas. Anybody have additional advice? Is it really going to come down to greasing it up and forgetting about it, or do I need to replace these parts, or ditch Ironman altogether for something else and eat the cost?!?

I'd ask ironman for another set, if denied then eat the cost and buy a different brand. Find another shop to install the new set up Good luck

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Other side is not doing this.

View attachment 1432821 View attachment 1432822
My thoughts, after assembling quite a lot of sets of Toyota struts this year, is that since that one side is rubbing and the other isn't, there are really only 2 options. 1. That one single coil wasn't made correctly, which I think is doubtful. 2. The upper coil seat was not centered, or has somehow come off-center (this is more likely in my opinion). The shock is definitely on the inside edge of that coil in those photos, so either the coil is crooked, or the strut just isn't centered up top.

One top bushing or washer might be out of alignment, or something possibly wore through quicker than it should have. The upper coil seat has a step in the rubber to align it with the ID of the coil, then it's up to the installer to keep it all straight and have the center of the strut shaft be centered on the coil.

Can you post some pics of the top mount to see if the coil is sticking out to one side or not?

Did the assembly come assembled from where you purchased it, or did you have to get the coils assembled on the struts?

Was there any resolution with the rubbing on these front suspensions? And, if so what was the cause? Any additional insight on support from Ironman 4x4?

Ironman told me it happens when the coilover is not properly seated or adjusted. They recommended I disassemble and carefully mount it again. Instead, I used the grease method and the initial application is still preventing the noises. I hadn’t thought about it until I saw this thread. I’ll check on it and report back if there are any issues. Ive got 35k on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom