San Diego Area Cruiser-Related Resource List (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Noah...
Did you get any body work recommendations? I need some rust repair on the rear drip rails of my camper van.
I guess there's always the drive around everywhere and get quotes.

San Diego Carburetor
6622 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92115
http://www.sdcarb.com/

I had a great experience with SD Carb. He is a no BS kind of guy but once you get him talking, he lightens up. Despite the name he does all general maintenance as well. Because of the name, most of his work is on older vics. and I know he's done significant work on multiple fj40s. In addition to normal cars, Camp Pendleton contracts him to rebuild the Carbs for their Mechanized Museum.....think tanks... so your project probably isn't over his head. Pretty far down South. for me now but a great go-to for Carbs and general maintenance from a solid guy if you are in the area.

Just had a windshield replaced on the 100 by Larry at Heckman Glass Masters. IMO he did a great job and went the extra mile to make sure it was done right. They followed the Toyota installation instructions, rivets and all.

Heckman Glass Masters

Last edited:
Killer resource. Im obsessed with getting into and fj40 so this will be very veeeery usedul. Thanks to all those who contributed and organized this. Pretry awesome.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but has anyone done business with Oceanside Driveline? It seems like their reviews were comparable to if not better than Driveline Vista which I saw listed up at the top.

Yes. I used to do business with Driveline Vista back in the 90's and they were great. Then a key person left and they became awful. To be fair, I haven't done business with them in many years but had a driveshaft made at Oceanside a few years ago which was of excellent quality.

One thing I'd note about Oceanside is that they use Spicer heavy duty components. I asked about using Toyota parts but they more or less insisted on the Spicer stuff so I left it at that. That said, the drive shaft they made never had issues and the Spicer ujoints are widely available.

Hopefully someone with more recent Driveline Vista experience will chime in.

Frank

Hey thank you for the quick response! I was debating for a while about shipping it out to Zuk from Gear Installs or having it done locally, I'm probably going to stop in locally and have them do the rear 3rd member ring, pinion, and bearings since it sounds like an ok shop.

FJ60 Newbie here, any recommendations on a place to get my new headliner installed? I prefer someone in that isn't too far north. California Fabworks seems to be closed down. Thanks.

Just had a windshield replaced on the 100 by Larry at Heckman Glass Masters. IMO he did a great job and went the extra mile to make sure it was done right. They followed the Toyota installation instructions, rivets and all.

Heckman Glass Masters

Thanks sdnative. I need to get a new high-quality windshield and have it installed per the FSM in my 80. Any other glass shop recommendations???

Thanks sdnative. I need to get a new high-quality windshield and have it installed per the FSM in my 80. Any other glass shop recommendations???

No other experience other than Heckman. I have heard both good and bad about safelite, from what I can tell really depends on the person.

By high quality I assume OEM? Unless someone else is paying for it I wouldn't bother on an 80. I got FYG on mine. Yes it's Chinese, but I am quite impressed with the quality so far and it was much cheaper.

No other experience other than Heckman. I have heard both good and bad about safelite, from what I can tell really depends on the person.

By high quality I assume OEM? Unless someone else is paying for it I wouldn't bother on an 80. I got FYG on mine. Yes it's Chinese, but I am quite impressed with the quality so far and it was much cheaper.

I might pay the OEM glass price-tag, but looking at next best options. I will chat with Heckman.

I had an awful experience with safelite on my Tundra; ended up with substantial rust around windshield gasket.

Thanks.

Hi folks - old thread here but looking for recommendation for a pre-purchase inspection in N. SD county (Oceanside, Vista, Escondido)

Just thought you guys might want to know...I took my Jeep to Auto Air Marine Electric in El Cajon, and I was not impressed. Had him fix some gauges and lights, and I had to bring the vehicle back twice to fix things that he neglected but were quoted in the beginning. Owner was consistently unprofessional and rude on the phone. Just my 2 cents.

I can say Frank Toyota in National City/Chula Vista sucks ass! Wanted to charge me $4100 to replace Master Cylinder in my 1999 100 because their mech almost hit a car in the parking lot. I took it too SD Trux and they could not find anything wrong with my brakes at all. Highly recommend SD Trux!

Anyone have recent experience with a good upholstery shop? I'm hoping I can get a small hole on my cloth seat patched when I replace the seat pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom