f2 to 1f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys, as you know my 2f engine with 80,000 miles died due to oil leak. I was holding out for another 2f as you guys said however, I have a dilemma. I was just given a 1968 fj40 (entire truck) and paid $400 for entire thing. Engine is great, frame is shot and tub is shot. I know you all said to not go backwards but this was pretty much free. It comes with 3 speed and gear box. I want to transplant this 1f into my rig with 4 speed that I curently have and slowly tear down and redo the 2f as time and money permits. What isues will I run into? I know the 2f and 1f are same dimension on the outside, but will it marry to my 4 speed and also will it fit with current fly wheel etc.,

Once I am done I will part out this rig and get my money back (I hope).

I know this is frowned upon (going backwards to a 1f) but this was a deal I could not pass up. Engine has 137 - 140 for compression Pretty good for old engne with 52,000 miles on it.

Super easy swap. Use all of your existing stuff and just the F longblock.

AWESOME. When I get done I will sell parts I do not need. I will not try to gauge as this site has helped me alot. I just want to get my money back.

Thanks

Great find and it didn't take too long.

The original F motor in mine moves the truck around just fine and has been durable enough to keep working for 45 years.
105-125HP instead of 135HP of the 2F, not that big of a step backwards.

I believe the F motor fitted with your 2F flywheel & clutch should bolt to your 2F bell housing.
If you use the 3 speed trans you will have to swap everything, bell housing, transfer case and drive shafts.

That is a great find and a good way to get back on the road. Here is a thread that may help answer your install questions. 3sp flywheel with 4sp trans It is in the FAQ section.

1968 intake manifold runners ( to cylinders 1,2, 5, &6) are appreciably bigger in cross sectional area. Low end poop will suffer.
Obtain 1970-74 intake manifold.

2 f intake will work just fine

Super easy swap. Use all of your existing stuff and just the F longblock.
Mace, Do i have to remove tranny etc., or can I just unbolt from back and the motor mounts and pull out (I know I have to unhook all stuff prior). I saw where they had to remove drive shafts, seats, etc., to move everything back so they can remove motor. This seems excessive.

the trans mission assembly is hanging off the rear of the bellhousing, the rear mounts are attached to the bellhousing, you need to remove the bellhousing with the engine.
that being said, I have left the transmission in place with driveshafts and park brake cable and speedo cable when doing an engine swap.
you need to block it up and some ratchet straps held it in place without moving.

Yes you can just pull the motor off the tranny. However, you will need to leave the skidplate on to support the transmission.

Last edited:
Yes you cam just pull the motor off the tranny. However, you will need to leave the skidplate on to support the transmission.

I never thought of this when doing mine. I used a hydraulic floor jack and some jack stands to support. The more you know...

alright I got the fj home and I found some surprises. I got a full roof rack (OEM), I see the cylinders in all four brakes are brand spanking new and a brand new OEM radiator. I am ready to plan out the engine swap but I see that the bellhousing on this 1f came with a 3sp. It looks almost identical. So, again I pose the question Do I really have to swap out bell housing fo the bell housing on my seized 4spd engine or can I just leave it on and slide it onto the tranny and be done.

The frame looks very good, body is shot (some salvagable parts). When I get done I with either sell as an entire unit or piece out. I prefer to just sell outright.

almost identical but they are not. you can not install a 4 speed H42 transmission to a 3 speed bellhousing or vise versa.

I don't think there was ever an OEM roof rack. got pics?

Here is pic of roof rack and fj40. Roof rack has brackets in middle to clamp down onto roof and on ends of legs there are strips that sit perfectly into rolled edges of roof. He said he had this fj40 about 15 years ago and he bought it from original buyer. 2nd owner said rack came with it when he got it 15 years ago. If rack is not OEM it is pretty old. it is sturdy and well made. It appears to be made from the same material as guard rails on highway but very light weight. I also added some pics of truck.

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom