Steel Roofs 'Pops' Whilst Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.freewayoneentertainment.com
My 45 has an original steel roof and it pops in and out whilst driving. I'm loathe to get a fibreglass one as it's a 1974 and under model and hard to find.

Anyone got any idea how to stop it popping before I Dynamat it?

I've heard of people taking a thin wooden slat, or two, that are long enough to be "sprung" up against the roof and held by the front and rear roof flanges to keep the roof quiet. I think Island45 did that to his 45 roof years ago.

Edit: Found a thread on it. Oilcan Top

Last edited:
Cult we put a 2" wide piece of steel into my roof to stop the roof from drooping (it is fiberglass btw) . I would think something along these lines would help you situation as well. Let me know if you need pictures. My headliner is not installed yet so it can be seen pretty clearly.

My '64 has a few ribs across the roof, front to back. I welded a steel rod into one of them about 15 years ago. I've only heard it pop once or twice since then.

The dyna mat will probably stop the popping
Or are you trying to stop it without the dyna mat ?
Some time it its life someone has probably
Stood on the roof dropped something on it stretching the sheet metal without seeing it or feeling it
Hard to say best way to fix it

Can see the wood slat on the roof, PO added it, works great and I can hang stuff from it(like my killer tunes).....been like this since I got it in 2001-2 and before.

Ha. You haven't heard anything until you experience the metal roof on an FJ55. BAM! Scares the crap out of you.

I forgot about the 55, had a beat 78 and yup, it was loud and heck when it popped

Ha. You haven't heard anything until you experience the metal roof on an FJ55. BAM! Scares the crap out of you.

A fella goes almost internetless for a couple days and comes back to all sorts of wisdom! I'm either gonna go the steel rod or the plywood, but as I'm 6'4" I don't want to take up any head room on the drivers side. Actually the missus is 5'11" so the pax side either.

Wondering if a fore-aft brace or two would work best?

Mine is bad for this too
I like the steel rod Idea!
I want to put a Gozzard roof on it but... well...you know...

This was my effort.

IMG_8898.JPG
IMG_8899.JPG
IMG_8900.JPG
IMG_8901.JPG

Would be cool if you bought or made an overhead console to hide the support (or provide support).

Landcruiser Roof Console

Outback-4wd-Interiors-Landcruiser-79-Series-Cab-Chassis-Roof-Console-Side-View.jpg

What about adding some strength to the metal itself? Perhaps monstaliner inside or you could brush on some fiberglass resin with a cloth.... (you'll have to take it out though..)

Future plans are for top removal, careful headlining removal [for reuse], a leak check, Dynamat, yoga mat, reinstall headlining and address the aesthetics of the support. I'm 6'4" so there'l be no console lol. Might look into the heat method though, it's going in for rust in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom