Backing into S*** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just curious, have yall backed into a lot of s***? I've crushed 2 trees via the blind spot caused by the 3rd row seats, but I've got like a million trees... My yard is a forest. But still. Just wondering. Thx

I don't have 3rd row seats and my spare is under the truck. I think the 80 has excellent rearward visibility... especially compared to any "modern" car. I almost back over pedestrians probably once a month in my Chevy Volt. By comparison, the 80 is like driving a mobile greenhouse.

Have you considered a rear camera with a double din radio? I don't use mine all the time but If I'm backing into a space with a small car behind me it's nice.

I backed into a car in a parking lot just last week. Although I admit I didn't even look. :mad:

I have another truck that I drive most of the time and it has a rear camera. So it seems I've auto-programmed myself to look forward while going backward. So there I was in my 80, staring at my stereo screen (with no camera), rolling backwards when suddenly... Uh oh.

My 80 has there newfangled things hanging off the doors called meeeroars.

I look at them occasionally when going in the backwards direction. They show images of stuff behind me, no matter what direction I'm actually moving.......

Sometimes the objects in them are closer than they appear........

I bought a Ford Tempo a few years back. The stupid thing magically appeared stuck to my rear bumper in a parking lot. Parking gremlins are a bear. Most of the time, I am very cautious. That day I just wanted to go home, grab a beer, and curl up under the table and act like the day never happened. The Tempo was icing on an otherwise crappy day. Oh, didn't even scuff the hitch or bumper of the cruiser.

Nope, not yet. But I do look over my shoulders and out the side windows and mirrors. And when all else fails, Get Out And Look. I don't live in a forest though. I am considering doing a backup cam in the rear view mirror later.

OK, I'll own it then since everyone else has a camera or knows what those sparkley things are mounted to the door (clearly I don't)

-I've taken a 'parking limit' log on pedestals, off the pedestals at a local state park.

-I punched a awesomely perfect silhouette of my tow eye in the hood of my Prelude in the yard.

-I was 'at fault party' when a Navigator backed into my rear swingout on the gascan side (later had the citation & blame reversed in court, thankfully there was a camera that caught my 80 parked there mid-day, had the Navigator owner on DVD of her backing into my unattended Landcruiser).

So yeah, it happens - my Prelude I have to admit I was more asleep than awake, early morning leaving yard.

The WA park with the log was naturally camouflaged but my 80 rolled it off the concrete pedestals. Oh well, that's why I pay $20 a yr for a park pass.

If the Tundra didn't have a backup camera I'd have a longer list there than the 80 - the 80 really has excellent rearward visibility, if you're awake. I wasn't.

I go into snow banks a lot but those are generally forgiving if you have after market bumpers and hit them slow (like < 5mph crawling). I usually back into parking lots if I can, or I park far enough away that I minimize traffic.

Even with the spare tire on my rack in the back I can see pretty well. Rear view + side mirrors + turning your head and looking = success.

mrs surfpig seems to like backing the Civic into the 80...

:bang:

I will also own it

- bought my wife a 94 several years back, first week I had it backed the damn thing right into the light pole in our front yard. Dented in the PS bumperette. A couple of weeks ago my wife finished it off. She hit the pole so hard it crumpled the bumperette
-Bought my 97 a few years ago. First day I backed it up I forgot our civic was parked behind it. Put a perfect impression of the pintle hitch in the hood. Never saw it in the mirrors due to the size difference.
-A few months ago I had an ear infection, backed my GS 400 right into my 97. Two nice dents in the trunk of the GS from the LC recovery points.

When i was a kid i had a job as a valet out of Seattle. They taught us to ALWAYS actually turn around and look when engaging reverse and that the side view mirrors were auxiliary if needed. I figured they had mass experience with fender benders being such an old company and i took it to heart . Very few driving tips have served me better since.

I LOVE the visibility of the cruiser but i also sold the third row. I have also noticed that if i do have an issue it is with short objects such as kids and grannies or wut not--Havnt ran into anything yet tho:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom