Can't seperate birfield from axle shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree. Just wondering because I have trouble seeing it not work with a metal pipe. Even if it ends up shearing the clip

Yes, steel pipe. I can't possibly hit it harder than what I'm doing. I'm not a weak guy either. I am surprised as well that the clip hasn't simply sheared.

I was in the same boat on a short side axle shaft on a 96' 80 series. After several hours, I finally got up on a ladder (more leverage) and the bastard finally popped off. I was dripping sweat and cursing the whole time. Just one little c-clip but man was that dumb thing reluctant to come loose. When it did, it completely sheared. Keep at it. Eventually it will give up.

sometimes you gotta really slam the s*** out of it, it will come, I normally hold the pipe stable and lift the birfas far as it will go and slam it as hard as I can downward. I have had stubborn ones take 30 plus hard hits to break the snap ring.

Yes, you are underestimating how hard it must be slammed. I was using a PVC pipe which made it even harder, and I ended up feeling sore in every muscle between my knees and wrists.

I used an old satellite dish metal post just yesterday to pop my old short side birfield I put new chromoly in couple weeks ago and I wanted the snap ring and my son wanted the ball bearings to play with. Smacked it once really hard on my porch (wood) and it came loose. But smacked is too kind a word lol. Granted it was worn out tho

The two person method with the axle clamped in a vise method works so easily that it will blow your mind. It will make you sorry you wasted so much time and effort slamming that pipe on the ground. When you start with the axle horizontal, the part of the C clip at the top is in the axle groove by gravity. When you press on one side 90 degrees from the top, more of the C clip is compressed into the groove. Then when you tap on the other side, the rest of the C clip gets compressed and the Birf just pops off.

Honest.

Yes, steel pipe. I can't possibly hit it harder than what I'm doing. I'm not a weak guy either. I am surprised as well that the clip hasn't simply sheared.

Eventually it will come. I use 2" 1/4 wall square pipe that I use for troublesome ones and have a good lip caused on the square tube by a few of these fights.

I hate to muck up my beautiful driveway but if the plywood trick doesn't work, may have to go that route.

Plywood piece on concrete worked fine for me. Also had rags stuffed in bottom of 1.5" section of Schedule 40 pipe ~ 3' long. Didn't take more than a few slams.

You know how when they say if you're going to punch someone, don't aim for their face, but aim 2 feet behind their head?

Same deal with the pipe, don't think of it as slamming it on the ground, pretend it's a wooden stake and there are vampires buried under your driveway.

It also helps to get drunk enough to not feel pain.

And yes, I know the pipe trick. I've been railing on this thing like crazy and I've mushroomed the end of my steel pipe significantly, but the darn axle shaft won't come of. It is not seized, there is about half a millimeter of free play, but it won't make it over the snap ring. Is there another trick to doing this?

I am curious, on how you are going about this, are you slamming the whole pipe and axle on the ground, or just the axle into the pipe ????, have you tried both methods ??

I am curious, on how you are going about this, are you slamming the whole pipe and axle on the ground, or just the axle into the pipe ????, have you tried both methods ??

I am slamming the entire assembly into the ground.

The two person method with the axle clamped in a vise method works so easily that it will blow your mind. It will make you sorry you wasted so much time and effort slamming that pipe on the ground. When you start with the axle horizontal, the part of the C clip at the top is in the axle groove by gravity. When you press on one side 90 degrees from the top, more of the C clip is compressed into the groove. Then when you tap on the other side, the rest of the C clip gets compressed and the Birf just pops off.

Honest.

Are you referring to pressing on the star from one side, and then hitting the opposite side of the star?

I am slamming the entire assembly into the ground.

Are you referring to pressing on the star from one side, and then hitting the opposite side of the star?

try holding the pipe upright stable, insert axle into pipe and slam the assembly downward violently onto the birf. You want the energy transferred into that snap ring and allow gravity to do it's work

Stated another way, the 1.5" diameter of the schedule 40 steel pipe allows the axle to hang while stopping the bell end of the birf from following. The pipe is the right diameter, where it supports the outside meat of the birf without damaging any of the inner workings as you slam. Axle falls, birf stays in one of your hands. Easy peasy.

Honest.

I'd guess OP is past the point of this working.. that snapring is probably half sheared

Last edited:
Guys you need to watch Alan from Terrain Tamer :)

If you don't want to watch video - Alan just bought new shaft as he was not able to separate it.

If you don't want to watch video - Alan just bought new shaft as he was not able to separate it.

I have never had one that did not seperate. I suppose it is possible but more likely due to twisting of splines or something inside of the birf causing it to bind. I can't imagine the snap ring alone causing it to stay on there. They are brittle and break for a reason. But of course I could be completely wrong. Seems like I learn something new each day about cruisers.

Smart fella, that Allan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom