Headliner Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick, it can be done, but removing the cap is a better way to go. After removing all the cap to side bolts, lift the cap onto two by fours and screw the bolts back into their holes, which will keep the weatherstriping in place while you slide the cap off (I did it by myself0. You can leave the sides in place after removing your hatch lid, and if the cap weatherstrip is cracked or torn, replace it. There are some good threads on installing the headliner OFF the rig. Believe me, it's WAY EASIER to install with the cap off the rig.

I used an $8 'fleece' blanket I picked up on sale at Zellers. Combined with some 'Super 77' adhesive, it looks like a more modern car roof. It had enough stretch that there are no seams, cuts, or folds. To do it over, I'd splurge for the $20 fleece... Next time I have the roof off I may add a 2nd layer for extra insulation.

Ok Lascrucer
Thanks. I'll take the roof off. I'm sure I'll need a seal when it's off, so I'll do it then also. I'm sure the headliner will help with the inside noise.
Thanks
Rick

I'll take some pics today. I haven't put the roof on yet... still working on the gel coat. I wish I had used Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation first... still contemplating that idea... :hmm:

I thought I would chime in since our headliner has been mentioned a couple times.I personally am a bit of a purist in this area and love the look of our headliner.

That being said.... they are not the funnest thing to install.Trying to install a vinyl headliner with a foam backing can be a bit of a nightmare!We have the advantage of using a steamer as we go that makes the job easier although a heat gun as you go or a hair dryer on hot can do the job.There are also plenty more tricks such as starting with the middle with you seam marked that will also help.The end result if you take your time and stay patient can look great!

We also on the other hand have done plenty of liners for customers using other methods.The Tintable Raptor liner as mentioned earlier looks amazing ( Just go white guys it looks way better PLEASE!! Ha!) Real user friendly product as well.Heck we even had a guy have us use old coffee bean sacks one time that looked pretty cool (NO they weren't white but cool)

Bottom line it's your baby and go w what you like best.Keep in mind if your using a glued on material to use an adhesive that is heat resistant (and read the can!) it is applied on both sides not one.3M as mentioned earlier is usually the best and easiest to find.Sanding it smooth is huge when applying a thinner material and sanding it for adhesion is important w any Bedliner material (but you can hide out your imperfections better w liner) Also please keep in mind that the heavier the material it is
(Example Carpet) the less time it will survive due to weight and FOR ALL MEANS PULL THAT TOP OFF TO DO IT!!!!! This is regardless of what you do.Its is 10 times easier in the long run and it will save you from going NUTS!!

Sorry for being a little long winded here but I thought all this would help.Feel free to call us if your trying to do a headliner and have them put you in contact with me and I will help walk you through it the best I can (regardless where you got it,I don't care.Ours is just better haha!) Good Luck!!!
Mike

As promised, here's a pic of the white Raptor liner. After looking at it more closely, I'm going to use an additional bottle of Raptor liner to touch up a few spots. So I would recommend 3 bottles for this endeavor.

IMG_0195.JPG

X2 on the white bed liner! I went this route... quick, easy, and looks great! I used tintable Raptor liner. You'll need two bottles.
Good call on the raptor liner. I had just had mine done, I have yet to see in person but the picture looks great!! It might be noisy but at least it is durable.

14272.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a rubber roof coating from my local RV center to do the inside of my cap. I thinned it a little to make it easier to roll on. I think it came out fine. The texture looks like a plastered ceiling.
003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom