What's that sound and why won't my FJ move? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New-ish FJ80 owner here. Found a 94 and it's been running like a charm for quite a while.

Today while driving I noticed a grinding sound as I stopped at a light. In drive, the truck won't idle forward. I can accelerate and it takes a moment to respond, then jumps forward harshly and cruises for a second, but when I begin slowing it begins this unholy, awful, grinding, shaking, and clanging.
Reverse works fine.

I had it towed home. Looking to work on it soon.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Front wheel drive flanges. When you rev it up, it finally engages the Viscous Coupler and then leaps forward.

This is the "star" shaped plate on each front hub that has 6 studs and nuts on it. Probably needs new ones.

For Sale Section, Toyota, Cruiserparts, others.

TO "bypass" for a while, put the truck in LOW RANGE. Shut it off. Remove the fuse for the CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK. Drive as normal. Should see the problem "go away". It still needs to be fixed.

Wouldn't explain why it drives in reverse fine. But is a good thing to look at.

Front wheel drive flanges. When you rev it up, it finally engages the Viscous Coupler and then leaps forward.

This is the "star" shaped plate on each front hub that has 6 studs and nuts on it. Probably needs new ones.

For Sale Section, Toyota, Cruiserparts, others.

TO "bypass" for a while, put the truck in LOW RANGE. Shut it off. Remove the fuse for the CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK. Drive as normal. Should see the problem "go away". It still needs to be fixed.

Wouldn't explain why it drives in reverse fine. But is a good thing to look at.

Thanks! Sorry I missed that line.....

I think you nailed it then..........

Brake caliper bolts - correct. Looks like whoever worked on it last rigged it with incorrect bolts and used off-size nuts for "spacers". Now on the hunt for some parts to replace the knuckle and caliper.
Thanks for the help!

Brake caliper bolts - correct. Looks like whoever worked on it last rigged it with incorrect bolts and used off-size nuts for "spacers". Now on the hunt for some parts to replace the knuckle and caliper.
Thanks for the help!

Please do the public, yourself, and your lawyer a favor and go OEM Toyota. Not expensive.

First and easy fix is the caliper bolts. Then front axle gears would be #2 concern.

If they used the wrong stuff odds are they might have used the wrong thread pitch. Please buy OEM bolts and then check the condition of the threads on what they thread into.

Once the caliper bolts are fixed, make a mental note to refer to your truck as an 80. You wouldn't want anyone to confuse it with its inferior inbred distant cousin...;)

Do you guys mean the two big bolts (17mm heads I think) that attach the caliper to sit over the rotor? I just re-did a knuckle/axle last weekend and remember putting the caliper back on. How would someone screw that up?

Do you guys mean the two big bolts (17mm heads I think) that attach the caliper to sit over the rotor? I just re-did a knuckle/axle last weekend and remember putting the caliper back on. How would someone screw that up?

Answer: The OP (and I) both live in the Great State of Texas. We have rednecks, anything is possible. ;)

Seriously, it might have been an emergency 'trail fix' that the previous owner never went back and corrected.

It might also have been due to laziness.....or the worst possibility of all (cheapness). Who knows.

I can tell you for certain....if my Brother in Law (exhibit A) had done the 'repair' it would have been as the OP described or worse.

People like that exist. So... anytime you buy a used vehicle....be sure to go over it (front to back) and check everything out.

Glad that was it. Easy fix!

Thanks for the help!

FYI, the bolts that hold on the tow points on the front and rear are possible replacements for the brake caliper bolts if I recall correctly.

Can use that for a temp fix until you can fix the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom