FJ Cruiser Transfer Case - will it fit the GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a world of leaky actuator seals, I was curious if there might be a different solution to the problem. In the latest Toyota 4wheel Drive magazine, there was an article on replacing the Tacoma t-case with one from an FJ cruiser. I wondered, if this might be a possibility for the GX470. Both the GX and the FJ use the same model 5 speed automatic (A750F). I did not look to see if the front axle is on the same side or not.

Question is: will the FJ Cruiser transfer case work on the GX470, with correct linkage, and no electronic shenanigans?

Interested in the collective wisdom of this Board. Thanks!

I don't think so... the choices on the GX are basically H4 and L4 straight up and down. The FJ has L4, N, H4 and H2 in a "fishhook" pattern.

That said, I wonder if you could use the FJ transfer case in a GX to turn it into a 2WD :)

Max beat me to it :)

No it won't fit. The housing is different.
Hosing might be slightly different, but i bet the mounting points to the transmission is the same.

The FJ tcase will bolt to a V6 4R, I wager not to the V8 as they do have different transmissions.

Is the auto FJ a 4 or 5 speed? Early GX (mine included) have the A750, but the later 5 speeds are A750Fs I believe.

Is the auto FJ a 4 or 5 speed? Early GX (mine included) have the A750, but the later 5 speeds are A750Fs I believe.

FJ Cruiser auto is a 5 -speed. According to toyota120.com, the GX470 auto trans is a A750F.

The 5 speed is. Early models had the 4

My 2003 GX is the 5 speed auto trans.

I bet it bolts in... Look up some images of each. An FJ tcase can be had for fairly cheap if you really wanted to go that route and try.

All of the A75 series transmissions are 5 speed and according to Google, only the A750F was available on '03-'09 GX models. 4x4 FJ Cruisers had the same transmission.

Should bolt in.

Last edited:
Fast forward a few years...yes, you can, but you have to clock it, get a leftie, and modify the gas tank lol

I think this link sheds light on the subject:
Rock Solid Toys
ill disagree with some of that stuff. i know a few people that are running a FJ Case in a tacoma and put in a Diff tube that is in the GX to eliminate the ADD actuator and havent had any issues for years.

Something that I noticed is the positions of the transfer case lever and trans shifter are reversed compared to the GX

Another thing I am unsure of is that he mentions the t-case being electronic, I thought ours was mechanically actuated not electric. CDL is of course electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom