Builds FJ40/80 Four Door-H55- LT4- Driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the body and frame are finally ready to come together.
And the assembly and wiring begin.
I went with the American Auto Wire Highway 22 harness setup. They make a nice product. I used an FJ40 steering column, hazard switch, light switch, and wiper switch. so I interfaced those into the Amercian Autowire system. Of course I had some help from Coolerman with a harness for the wiper system and technical help.

004 (9).JPG

004 (13).JPG

003 (16).JPG

008 (8).JPG

009 (10).JPG

The roll cage was powder coated earlier and made it voyage to the tub finally.
I had an older style apron emblem that was pot metal. I took it to the powder coater and had it done in a chrome like finish. I liked it becuase is made it look like old chrome.

073.JPG

Last edited:
Many hours went into the wiring.

Lots of measuring for a custom radiator and fan. I had read Cam's thread on his "60 getting a heart transplant", and he used Four Seasons Radiator in Memphis. I contacted them and with lots of pics, measurements, and discussion they were able to fabricate a combo that worked out great.

50.JPG

023.JPG

006 (9).JPG

021.JPG

072.JPG

Last edited:
It was time for the windshield frame, My glass guy, Jeff, in Petal fixed me up with a tinted windshield.

I also opted for the Dakota digital 40 style dash. Man what a nice piece.
I used the RestoMod Air AC system.
I installed a single din, with mechanical screen Pioneer.

028.JPG

007 (10).JPG

008 (11).JPG

003 (14).JPG

004 (12).JPG

More wiring, and more wiring.
so the body was on the frame with the old springs and stock Toyota shocks.
I decided to go with the Icon Vehicle Dynamics 3" lift springs and TJM shocks.

Custom drive shaft lengths for front and rear. the front is a early 80's 60 style double cardon. Cruiser Outfitters fixed me up with transfer case flanges. I had to change the front differential pinion flange to a FJ60 style to mate with the custom driveshaft with the double cardon joint. It worked out nicely. The rear drive shaft ends also were from an early FJ60 with new ujoints and custom length. Wansley Driveline in Laurel provided that service.

it did give it the clearance needed for the 35" tires. Ride? I'll have to report on that later

031.JPG

032.JPG

030.JPG

Last edited:
so I have been focused for the last couple of months trying to get this baby ready.
Interior work- fold and tumble rear seat, Corbeau Baha reclining front seats, exhaust system, etc

048.JPG

046.JPG

043.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

I picked up the e-locker switches from Lowrange Offroad, built a harness to connect to the e-locker differential harness (thankfully I had).
after some head scratching and research, BAM! I have e-lockers functioning as they should and independantly from each other.

a separate switch panel for lights, rear camera, and ejection switch (ha) was put in.

Oh, and one must have some BOOM! BOOM! so my son says with his contribution of a nice bass system with amp.

063.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

066.JPG

055.JPG

I have used the BedRug system in the bed of my last two trucks. it is nice stuff. They offer a piece 66"x98" so I got it to cut to fit the interior floor.

The pioneer radio is very clear, and operates nicely.

I went with a Tuffy 12.5" wide center console. The interior space in this model is awesome.
Lots of rear leg room and not crowded at all in the front seats.

077.JPG

075 (2).JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

so now I'm upto date with this build.
The technical aspects have been challenging. it is totally different from a restoration type rebuild. There is a lot of Fabrication.

I'm currently converting the LT4 Optispark to an LS1 type coil per cylinder using the LTCC conversion kit. I did get the engine running and I wanted to make sure it would run before I did the conversion.
I'll post some pics of that later.

Hope you have enjoyed this process so far.
Gary

I forgot to post a pic of the 4Plus Products custom front bumper. Because the frame is wider than a 40, Dave had to custom make the front bumper.
Nice work on his part.

51.JPG

Last edited:
Nice write up! If you move the front axle about 2" forward it would be in the same fender to tire spot as a 40 series. It would also give u a better approach angle. Of course the only people that would notice are cruiser heads, so that might not bother u.

Yes, and much frame and suspension fabrication. My goal was to use the frame and suspension as close to stock as possible. I had enough fabrication as is was.
Thanks
Gary

Fine job Gary! Man.....

Fine job Gary! Man.....
Dave,
I've been following your thread as well, nice work and I really like the color.
Cool!
What is the Commandor upto these days?
Gary

Johnny, my sailrite sewing machine just came in today. My plans are to make it myself. That should be fun.
AntFJ has given a lot of us inspiration to make this leap.
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom