What size lift for Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all I have a 1972 fj40 I'm fixing up. Would like to do rubicon with it but also have it as a daily driver, I have a set of 31" tires on it now, a lot of people have said 33" minimum for rubicon. So my question is should I go with a 2.5" lift and have 31" street tires and 33" off-road tires or should I go with a 4" lift and have 31" or 33" road tires and 35" off-road tires? I would like for my car not to get to beat up and dented off road. If u have pics of a fj40 with a 4" lift and 31s I would really appreciate seeing them thanks
Also would it be worth it to do a shackle reverse on a 2.5" ome lift

Last edited:
This is 33" tires on 2.5" lift.

IMG_7576.JPG

I don't think you're going to like the look of a 4" lift and 31's. Might look a little like a clown car lol.

I think your 4" lift 33/35 solution sounds the best to me.
That's what I was worried about it looking weird, I would like to stick with 31/33 if I could cuz I heard with 35s you should regear axles

I run 31's... But, I'm not Rubiconning...

33's are called a cheap overdrive... More speed out of 33's, if you want it...

But, you can run the same times on and off road... Just air up and air down and air up...

Yep, sell the 31's get 2 1/2 inch OME lift and pick a all terrain tire that you like in 33x 12.50 or 34x 10.50

I debated the same thing before installing my lift. I knew I wanted 33s, but couldn't decide between 2.5" or 4" lift. I didn't want to regret not going bigger later on, so I went with the 4". It's the Rough County kit with 4" lift springs, shocks, U-bolts, bushings, etc. Does it ride smooth? No! I didn't expect it to either, but if you're on a budget, it works well and does what it's supposed to for around $500. Would I like to have one of the more expensive, smoother riding kits? Sure, but it all depends on what you can afford and what you wanna do with it. Maybe you spend the money you saved on some lockers to get you through Rubicon...

4" lift, 305/70 16s (33x12.50)
IMG_20170321_153653_zps3l7ehvsc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom