The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did a bit of googling and found this pdf says gturbo hose routing. Faster response to anoroid from port on turbo. And hook up after the intercooler for guage and wastegate actuator so you are measuring manifold pressure post IC. Like gerg was saying probably a small differance in pressure. I want to reduce intake pulses to signal line so I think I will move from manifold to outlet side of IC.

IMG_1010.JPG

Attachments

• Gturbo pressure lines.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone who has given me advice and words of wisdom with regards to ball bearing turbos.
After a lot of reading and to talking, I have decided to get one of these MMP turbos.

I am also organizing a group buy for anyone else who may be interested, follow the link and have a look.

Group buy MMP dual ceramic ball bearing turbo

Edit to fix link

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone who has given in advice and words of wisdom with regards to ball bearing turbos.
After alot of reading and to talking, I have decided to get one of these MMP1 turbos.

I am organizing a group buy for anyone else who may be interested, follow the link and have a look.

Group buy MMP dual ceramic ball bearing turbo
Plans for a tune after the turbo upgrade ?

Keep us posts on the results

Plans for a tune after the turbo upgrade ?

Keep us posts on the results
I plan on tuning myself and see how it goes. If I get into trouble I will then pay a pro.
Do you have a recommendation for a tuner if I require one?

I will definitely keep everyone updated.

I plan on tuning myself and see how it goes. If I get into trouble I will then pay a pro.
Do you have a recommendation for a tuner if I require one?

I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Depending on where you are in central qld, Shawn at diesel central gracemere would be the logical choice.

Thanks.
I have driven past there a few times and looked out the window in wonder of what one day could be!

Right now I have a 1HD-T, and a 1HD-FTE turbo on my bench with turbine housing off to take some happy snaps for @Dougal .

IMG_20170430_141851.jpg

I also have this

IMG_20170430_154632.jpg

I forgot how much I hate the smell of this stuff!

I'm going to try and get the nozzle area for both housings

this went better than expected!

I rolled out playdoh in a cone shape, loosely covered in cling wrap, sprayed the inside of the turbine with vege oil, and packed the doh in still wrapped in cling wrap.
It was easy to see where the nozzle opens up, so I marked poked a bit of wire into the doh to cut into it a bit.
then pulled on the cling film to remove the plug.

1HD-T nozze size is approx 32.5mm diameter. Equals approx 8.3cm2
1HD-FTE nozzle size is approx 27.5mm diameter. Equals approx 5.95cm2

annotated 1HDT_1HDFTE turbine comparison.jpg

Sent the prototype back for a facelift. 10+0 gtx gen 2 comp wheel, new comp cover and turbosmart actuator. Having some slight fitment issues, but should be all sorted next weekend
P1030507.JPG
IMAG1592.jpg
IMAG1620.jpg

dimensions of 1HDT, AND 1HDFTE turbine wheels

View attachment 1450589

View attachment 1450590

More awesome info with some maths we can now work out the factory A/R ratios.

1HD-T area as measured is 8.3cm2
Radius is 1/2 of the turbine Diameter + nozzle diameter
= ( 6.78cm + 3.25cm ) / 2
= 10.03cm / 2
= 5.015cm

So 1HD-T exhaust A/R is 8.3cm2 / 5.015cm = 1.655cm
= 0.652"

1HD-FTE area as measured is 5.95cm2

= ( 5.98cm + 2.75cm ) / 2
= 8.73cm / 2
= 4.365cm

So 1HD-T exhaust A/R is 5.95cm2 / 4.365cm = 1.363 cm
= 0.537"

These are not what I expected. I was not expecting the area to be larger than the radius which results in a number bigger than 1.
Have I done this correctly or what have I missed?

Edit. After clarification (thanks @Dougal ) I have corrected my math and found that the A/R has a unit of measurement. I have then converted the A/R units to inches as this is a more common unit for referencing A/R.

Last edited:
The old gturbo I have is essentially a 1hdfte hot side with a supra wheel. Works pretty good.

More awesome info with some maths we can now work out the factory A/R ratios.

1HD-T area as measured is 8.3cm2
= ( 6.78cm + 3.25cm ) / 2
= 10.03cm / 2
= 5.015cm

So 1HD-T exhaust A/R is 8.3cm / 5.015cm = 1.655

1HD-FTE area as measured is 5.95cm2

= ( 5.98cm + 2.75cm ) / 2
= 8.73cm / 2
= 4.365cm

So 1HD-T exhaust A/R is 5.95cm / 4.365cm = 1.363

These are not what I expected. I was not expecting the area to be larger than the radius which results in a number bigger than 1.
Have I done this correctly or what have I missed?

Garrett A/R ratios are in inch units. A/R = (in^2 nozzle area)/(in radius shaft to nozzle centre)

Radius is to the centre of the nozzle.

Last edited:
Garrett A/R ratios are in inch units. A/R = (in^2 nozzle area)/(in radius shaft to nozzle centre)

Radius is to the centre of the nozzle.
Cheers.
As I understand it, and as my math works out (assuming I got that right) A/R is a unitless number, in fact just a ratio, the units used for the math will not affect the result so long as the units used are consistent. I have used cm above but the result will be the same with inch or mm or any other distance unit.

Just to be clear, the radius I used is from the center line of the turbine shaft to the centre line of the nozzle. Unless I got it wrong.

Cheers.
As I understand it, and as my math works out (assuming I got that right) A/R is a unitless number, in fact just a ratio, the units used for the math will not affect the result so long as the units used are consistent. I have used cm above but the result will be the same with inch or mm or any other distance unit.

Just to be clear, the radius I used is from the center line of the turbine shaft to the centre line of the nozzle. Unless I got it wrong.

A/R has units of length. A/R in cm is 2.54 times bigger than A/R in inches. I haven't had time to check the numbers yet.

So, muddling through the maths, and converting to "freedom units" **, I get A/R as follows

1HD-T A/R .65
1HD-FTE A/R .54
which is more along the lines of what I was expecting.

** I called inches imperial mumbo jumbo in another thread and was chastised. Apparently inches are best referred to as "freedom units" :rofl:

A/R has units of length. A/R in cm is 2.54 times bigger than A/R in inches. I haven't had time to check the numbers yet.
Ahh yes. Thanks for the clarification @Dougal. I did muck the units up.
My A/R works out to be 1.655cm and 1.363cm that work out to 0.652" and 0.537"
As @mudgudgeon says, these are closer to the numbers I was expecting.

I will now go back and edit my post to correct the errors for future readers.

So calculations I had previously for those two housings (various sources, but unconfirmed).

17010 is 8cm nozzle. Some approximations on tip clearance gave me 0.57 inch A/R
17020 is 6cm nozzle. Some approximations on tip clearance gave me 0.49 inch A/R

These are essentially confirmed accurate now with Mudgudgeons numbers and photos.

But the A/R is only part of it. When you throw in turbine size to the mix the 17020 turbine is 25% smaller flow wise (17010 is 33% bigger). Which is why it's a far more active turbo that produces more boost sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom