How to remove Lexus Lx450 rear glass factory tint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And this only works on the rear window, I think the other windows must be different.
This is true from what I have learned so far ^&*ing with this whole mess. Rear hatch class with defroster lines; Eagle One Chrome Cleaner takes the tint right off...almost easier than getting dog snot off. With the glass in the truck it would be messy, you should do a good job masking and protecting. (I had mine out to replace the rubber so did the removal on garage floor and it was still messy)

As for the 4 pieces of glass in the two rear doors it has been a complete fail for me. With the success of the rear hatch glass I tore into my doors to pull the glass, throw it on the garage floor and do those. On the bronze tinted LX450 glass it did NOTHING-like spraying water on them.

When a 94 Land Cruiser showed up in a local Pick-N-Pull i went and got the glass. I thought only LX450s had the mirrored glass so was worried when these were mirrored too. Sprayed the LC glass with the Eagle One Chrome Cleaner and although there was some removal it was nothing like the rear hatch glass but I bought them and continued working away at it. See previous pic I posted on page 1. Yesterday I completely washed the glass with lots of water, dried it off, took it outside in the sun to check progress.

Glass is shot because letting the Eagle One Chrome Cleaner sit for a long ETCHES the glass.

I have a line on some used clear glass but also gathered the part numbers (new from dealer does not have metal track hardware)

Movable Glass, RIGHT Part Number: 68113-60130
Movable Glass, LEFT Part Number: 68114-60130
Fixed Glass, RIGHT Part Number: 68123-60140
Fixed Glass, LEFT Part Number: 68124-60140

This is true from what I have learned so far ^&*ing with this whole mess. Rear hatch class with defroster lines; Eagle One Chrome Cleaner takes the tint right off...almost easier than getting dog snot off. With the glass in the truck it would be messy, you should do a good job masking and protecting. (I had mine out to replace the rubber so did the removal on garage floor and it was still messy)

As for the 4 pieces of glass in the two rear doors it has been a complete fail for me. With the success of the rear hatch glass I tore into my doors to pull the glass, throw it on the garage floor and do those. On the bronze tinted LX450 glass it did NOTHING-like spraying water on them.

When a 94 Land Cruiser showed up in a local Pick-N-Pull i went and got the glass. I thought only LX450s had the mirrored glass so was worried when these were mirrored too. Sprayed the LC glass with the Eagle One Chrome Cleaner and although there was some removal it was nothing like the rear hatch glass but I bought them and continued working away at it. See previous pic I posted on page 1. Yesterday I completely washed the glass with lots of water, dried it off, took it outside in the sun to check progress.

Glass is shot because letting the Eagle One Chrome Cleaner sit for a long ETCHES the glass.

I have a line on some used clear glass but also gathered the part numbers (new from dealer does not have metal track hardware)

Movable Glass, RIGHT Part Number: 68113-60130
Movable Glass, LEFT Part Number: 68114-60130
Fixed Glass, RIGHT Part Number: 68123-60140
Fixed Glass, LEFT Part Number: 68124-60140

Yeah this is what I found. I bought a piece of side glass and tried the eagle one chrome and it etched it. But it is possible to remove the factory tint from the side windows, I just don't know how. Here is proof.....

80 tinted window.jpg

That is the left rear cargo window on a 97 40th Anniy edition. A sticker had been there, for a long time, I removed it and voila. Clear glass. Theres gotta be a way....

Damn...I thought I had a new project! I hate the chrome tint on my 80. Guess this was to good to be true.
I have been thinking of tracking down clear glass if there is such a thing...??

There is. Beno can get you the clear cargo glass. It isn't too bad. The rear window can be stripped like we talked about in this thread and then the rear windows can be bought from very early 80's that didn't have tint.

Damn...I thought I had a new project! I hate the chrome tint on my 80. Guess this was to good to be true.
I have been thinking of tracking down clear glass if there is such a thing...??

Just like everybody else, back window tint came off fairly easily, no dice on the rest. While I was inhaling the fumes and cleaning up my mess, I wondered if a polishing compound would take the "tint" off? The coating appears to be a film/coating of some sort on the inside of the glass. If you look at the very edge of the glass, there's a very faint line where the coating stops. I know there's compounds out there to polish glass windows to restore them. Beyond that, I have no clue. It may work, or more likely, I turn it into a wavy looking mess if I were to try. I suppose I'll end up biting the bullet for new clear glass down the road. I haven't made the rounds to the junkyards to check, but I doubt there's any local to me that would have an 80 series in it.

I tried metal polish and that did not work either. I just have fubbed glass. mel lowe in FL had some clear rear door glass and gave me a good deal even if shipping was almost as much as the glass.

Hoping the community has learned something about this since the last post in 2017

I just picked up a 1997 LX450 and the previous owner attempted to remove the Lexus reflective glass finish. Like the rest of you, it came off the back glass perfectly, but the side glass got terrible results.

I'm hoping someone has advice on either removing the finish or how I can hide the removal attempt with tint. Worst case I live with it, or find clear Land Cruiser glass.

For anyone looking for an alternative to the Eagle one, which appears to no longer contain Hydroflouric Acid. Whink Rust Stain Remover does the job very well. I picked up a bottle at walmart for under $6. Squirt some on a rag, rub till glass is clear, repeat for whole window. Clean with ammonia free glass cleaner when finished.

Video of how easy the tint comes off:

Unfortunately my glass has some swirls in it, which I had hoped were on the solar tint :(

IMG_0467.JPEG
IMG_0466.JPEG
IMG_0468.JPEG

For anyone looking for an alternative to the Eagle one, which appears to no longer contain Hydroflouric Acid. Whink Rust Stain Remover does the job very well. I picked up a bottle at walmart for under $6. Squirt some on a rag, rub till glass is clear, repeat for whole window. Clean with ammonia free glass cleaner when finished.

Video of how easy the tint comes off:

Unfortunately my glass has some swirls in it, which I had hoped were on the solar tint :(

View attachment 2908846View attachment 2908845View attachment 2908847

What about the side windows? Will this stuff work on those?

Are these acids safe to use on the defroster "wires", wondering if anyone checked to see that the wires still heat up after removing the tint using these products?

Last edited:
Are these acids safe to use on the defroster "wires", wondering if anyone checked to see that the wires still heat up after removing the tint using these products?
The product I used did not damage defrost lines. And I am sure the product recommended by Pascoscout didn't damage those defrost lines either.

I think its worth asking, when attempting to remove the tint on the side windows, where both sides of the glass tested? Looking into eye glass anti glare removal that might work in this application.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom