New tailgate cover for the 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't matter, it doesn't look like there's any interest.

No, I think setting a stove on the gate may be okay(minus the stinky interior) because you can ditch it if need be. But bolting it to the gate is an unnecessary risk imo.

Yup, exactly why I designed my Aux Work station so the stove is indexed on some pins and can be just lifted right off. My response to people asking for a stove in the drawer like AT does. I won't do it. Neat doesn't equal prudent.

D,

How thick is the birch and Gatorstep? I know your drawers bottoms are raised approx. 1" above the floor, but most mfg doors are all the way to the floor/bottom. So when they opened does it still clear the material. My tailgate lid has a 3/8" overall height and it is really close with some drawers.

J

D,

How thick is the birch and Gatorstep? I know your drawers bottoms are raised approx. 1" above the floor, but most mfg doors are all the way to the floor/bottom. So when they opened does it still clear the material. My tailgate lid has a 3/8" overall height and it is really close with some drawers.

J
The birch is 1/4, and so is the gatorstep. I was originally thinking 1/8-3/16 backer for the gatorstep, but it's already looking like the gatorstep is going to be a no-go for lack of interest. With the ribbed gate, as you know, you can't do padding w/o a backer.

As far as other drawers not clearing- well, they should have bought a TB :)

Doesn't matter, it doesn't look like there's any interest.

No, I think setting a stove on the gate may be okay(minus the stinky interior) because you can ditch it if need be. But bolting it to the gate is an unnecessary risk imo.

I'm glad you guys brought it up though. I had not honestly ever given it a second thought as far as proximity to fuel though. Igniting something in/on the truck has been a concern. You have raised my awareness. Thanks!

Since the thread is tossed, and mention made of the JDM model with a stove tailgate setup, I'm curious if they run a factory Jerry swingout, or if it just has the JDM spare tire?

If no factory fuel on the rear, I can see some reasonability but I'm hardly literate in the JDM world.

Anybody know that one?

Trail Tailor is already doing that, and looks like pretty well. This is for those that don't want an 80 lb tailgate.

The weight of a aluminum plate adds 23#

.25" 6061-T651 plate = 3.53# / sq ft

Top tip: You can estimate a build weight of a project no matter the metal by using the calculators online, or a vendor I use to quote a price (ballpark) & get a generalized weight in the little info box above the price is these guys:

Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

If you break down your projects to the linear feet of each material, you can get real close. Or even say compare a 3/16" SS plate to 1/4" AL plate for cost, weight, etc.

Alot of guys go right to AL if they have a rust concern, but you can MIG weld SS with your current setups for less than swapping gun liners, attempting to push AL wire w/o a push-pull gun, pulse mode for thin sheet, etc.

.. said:
We travelled for a year and cooked with a Colemans on the back tailgate constantly and no issues. Sometimes has two stoves going at same time

Probably a little late on the conversation but one problem I have in the cargo/tailgate area is the gap between the two. The 100 series resolved this with a bridge that hinged up and down and joins the tailgate and cargo area to make a flush, level backend, like in your photo on post #1. Now it might not be in your realm of work or maybe a too tedious "fix it" product @TrekboxX but I would think a few other guys would be interested in having a solid bridge made of a quality material that worked like the 100 series. Btw, I already have a tailgate lid so the cover doesn't really work for me, but it looks pretty nice.

Probably a little late on the conversation but one problem I have in the cargo/tailgate area is the gap between the two. The 100 series resolved this with a bridge that hinged up and down and joins the tailgate and cargo area to make a flush, level backend, like in your photo on post #1. Now it might not be in your realm of work or maybe a too tedious "fix it" product @TrekboxX but I would think a few other guys would be interested in having a solid bridge made of a quality material that worked like the 100 series. Btw, I already have a tailgate lid so the cover doesn't really work for me, but it looks pretty nice.
I can build whatever, but unlike the tailgate cover, we'd need some consensus of interest. Seeing the overall lack of interest from the 80 owners in general, I'm not sure there's a ton of potential here. I do enjoy doing this stuff, but it is a business, after all!

I'm definitely interested in one. But looks like the only 80 person that is. I carry my dog around in the back and the carpet has to go.

I'm definitely interested in one. But looks like the only 80 person that is. I carry my dog around in the back and the carpet has to go.
Hey there! Yeah, these are a hit with the 100 series crowd, but very little interest for the 80. If we can drum up some interest we can do a run of them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom