OEM Steelies and tire size... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had your very combination on both my 60 and 40. If you do not have tires yet DO NOT get them from Discount! Find a set online and have them mounted at a Mom and Pop tire shop. Discount told me they would not be able to mount that size tire on a narrow rim like the factory steelies. FURTHERMORE, they said that they could not just sell me the tires (without mounting) knowing what I was putting them on! Never had issues with Discount before but the last time has forced my hand in future dealings with them.View attachment 1410775 View attachment 1410776

The look of that wheel/tire combination is exactly why willing I'm to pursue what seems like an irritating venture! Both your rigs look great!

I purchased my 33x10.5x15 BFGs at Costco and they mounted them on the rims. They would not installed them on the Cruiser. Basically I dropped off the rims and they mounted them on the rims and I put them on the Cruiser.

Well... since I happen to have a Costco card in my wallet - option #2!

i took the liberty of copying @FARMAN33 rig photo. Which looks awesome! I assume the tires are 33x10.5 BFG TA. The next photo is my rig with BFG 33x10.5 km2. Personally, I like the T/A sidewall design better than the km2. Mine looks a little balloon. Or maybe it is the white letter out mounting that softens the sidewall size. I just thought posting these two may help someone decide between A/T and km2 or mounting with letters out.

IMG_4555.JPG
fj40.jpg

My thoughts exactly! @emac When I bought my 60 it had the KM2 and had same thoughts.
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_7504-HDR.jpg

@emac , that is a beautiful 40!

Thanks upperblack... hoping someone kind of local would say just that!

The discount tire in Woodstock installed my 31x10.5x15 on my 79 fj40 this past summer

Discount refused to mount bfg 33x10.5 on my oem steelies. They tried to sell me different wheels :rolleyes:

That is how I ended up with the toyos. Les Schwab had the toyos in stock and was willing to install them.

Discount mounted and rebalanced the set of KM2 33x10.5x15s on my 40. No complaints or issues. I run with the white letters out...
RR_40.jpg

Discount refused to mount bfg 33x10.5 on my oem steelies. They tried to sell me different wheels :rolleyes:

That is how I ended up with the toyos. Les Schwab had the toyos in stock and was willing to install them.

Those Toyos look dang good...

FWIW I ordered 33x10.5 KM2 to my house from a site called 4wheelparts.com who had the best price with free shipping! Got 5 for under 1k total with tax/delivery. Then I put them in the back of the 40 and drove to the local tire shop who put them on stock steelies with no questions asked. I was actually a bit surprised to see that all 5 fit in the back!

20161219_150635.jpg

Don't mind my asking... how long ago did you get the tires mounted?
Got them remounted and road force balanced. It was probably a year ago. Maybe slightly less. Was chasing down a vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom