Need some quick advice on alt. with vacuum pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't brought anything to them yet but Austin Fuel Injectection & Performance Center is a nice diesel resource. They are a Bosch service center and all diesel guys. I will be taking my injectors to them soon.

Great idea. I haven't been able to find much help from an engine perspective. I'll find those guys and see if they cant help in future. Thanks

I went for a drive in the 40 last week wearing a Jeep Masters t shirt. Didn't realize what I was doing until I was already on the highway.
Did you have to fight the urge to wave at every vehicle that looks somewhat like a jeep ?
Is it possible the rebuilders are mounting the pumps upside down on the altenators

Haven't messed with my 7.3 yet but my Cummins is different as well. It's a combo with the power steering pump. Here is my NPR alt on my BJ40.
View attachment 1411189

My 7.3 is a separate pump that's driven off the serpentine belt. It doesn't get any simpler... bolt it on, hook up the vacuum line, and thread the belt around it. It is permanently lubed and has no oil connections.

Another option would be a newer electric vacuum pump and a bigger alternator with no vacuum pump. If it wouldn't cause your 42 to lean too much, you could probably mount an alternator like my 7.3 has. Although it'd likely not be worth the hassle of switching to an 8 groove serpentine belt (since a V-belt would never last). It'd drive a winch (or power your shop) well though. 32 lbs, 215 A continuous :D

Why don't you send the combo out for a reseal,rather than chase down another one? when the seal went out on the alt/pump on my HJ, I took it apart and put in a new seal myself. It's relatively easy. Note: I am not offering to do yours (I'm buried with work right now)

Best

Mark

PS. I second what @Splangy said.

It's brand new and has happened with two alternators.

Just went by shop and vacuum pump is oriented on the bottom of alternator. Is it separated where oil should to get into it no matter what?

It's brand new and has happened with two alternators.

Just went by shop and vacuum pump is oriented on the bottom of alternator. Is it separated where oil should to get into it no matter what?
That makes me think the hoses are on wrong as it did look odd when I snuck a peak yesterday. There should also be a check valve on the vacuum port also so no oil goes out that end. At least that is what I have encountered on mine and the one on my Cummins. Should have a distinct sucking sound like a shop vac. Did you take any photos or have the video they took of it spewing? I left my phone in the car when i looked at it. A simple photo with this crowd should at least tell us if it is hosed correctly.

IMG_1397.JPG

The lines are right. I went by and checked. The outfit I bought from said it didn't matter how it was oriented and oil should not pour out of it no matter position. I had to wait two weeks for each alternator coming from Australia. I'm going with an electronic vacuum pump and reg. alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom