DIY Converting drop leg of trailer from stand to wheel. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to embark on a DIY project of converting the drop leg of my trailer from a pad to a wheel so I can move it without having to pickup the tongue of the trailer. Has anyone done this project to their overland trailer, if so please share. Thanks

I did something like that. If I were to do it again I would go airless rather than pneumatic. The latter doesn't last that long IME.

I would suggest this as the trailer jack. I have it onmy M4156 and it really makes a difference rolling the trailer on all sorts of terrain.

TJWK10 --- Croft Pneumatic Wheel Kit

3862_main_image_original__37261.1319670777.1024.1024.jpg

3862_prod_view_1_original__36689.1319670777.1024.1024.jpg

The mounting plate does not rotate. I guess the drop leg could be made to rotate? If I'm going to add a wheel, it needs to rotate.

The mounting plate does not rotate. I guess the drop leg could be made to rotate? If I'm going to add a wheel, it needs to rotate.
You just pull pin and rotate the whole unit up and insert the pin, But I prefer to remove the unit for on the trail. Rotating it up out of the way is fine for paved road travel.

Sorry, I was not clear.

When the leg is locked in the down position with the Croft wheel kit attached, the Croft wheels do not turn left/right. They stay fixed in the orientation in which they were pinned to the leg. So the trailer goes straight ahead, or straight back. It would be like a shopping cart with 4 fixed wheels. The only way to turn is to lift the front of the basket.

I think the wheels on the drop leg would be very helpful if they allowed me to maneuver my trailer by pushing only, versus lifting the tongue and pushing.

Am I missing something?

Click on the link for the Wheel Assembly in the post above and see the last two bullet points.
- the mounting plate on the wheel assembly does not rotate
- the inner tube of the leg/jack must rotate inside the outer tube.

If the second point is correct, the first is moot. Buy a jack that rotates and you're all set.

Click on the link for the Wheel Assembly in the post above and see the last two bullet points.
- the mounting plate on the wheel assembly does not rotate
- the inner tube of the leg/jack must rotate inside the outer tube.

If the second point is correct, the first is moot. Buy a jack that rotates and you're all set.

I have a few of Harbor Freight folding leg with a single wheel. For those to rotate the inner tube must rotate. When it does it either has to move or down. With weight on the tongue it isn't easy. End up kicking the wheel to change directions. Changing directions front to back requires the wheel spin 180 degrees. I bought one of Harbor Freight's two wheel dollies with a trailer ball. That is much easier to move my trailers around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom