8274 brake shaft cam gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question- im in the middle of an 8274 rebuild and today i used a press to get the cam gear off the brake shaft. Once removed, i removed the o ring and used a wire brush to clean the shaft the best i could but i was unable to push the gear back on (using my hands only). I did oil it but that didnt help either. How tight of a fit it that gear supoosed to be? It looks like it would need to freely move to engage the brake but i'm no winch engineer.

I was simply going to add the new o ring and press the gear back on but wanted some mud expert input before i wreck something.

Here are the parts im referencing.

IMG_1043.JPG

Question- im in the middle of an 8274 rebuild and today i used a press to get the cam gear off the brake shaft. Once removed, i removed the o ring and used a wire brush to clean the shaft the best i could but i was unable to push the gear back on (using my hands only). I did oil it but that didnt help either. How tight of a fit it that gear supoosed to be? It looks like it would need to freely move to engage the brake but i'm no winch engineer.

I was simply going to add the new o ring and press the gear back on but wanted some mud expert input before i wreck something.

You're 100% correct: The gear should move easily and freely. I went and looked at one of the assemblies in maintenance, and was shown how easily it moves. It should literally be able move without issue. I showed them the picture of your cam gear/brake shaft, and they said yours looked very pitted. Feel free to give us a shout at 800-543-9276 if you'd like to discuss.

Andy

Thanks for doing that - seriously i appreciate your digging into it.
I may see if i can get it on a lathe and use some polish and/or fine sandpaper.

I used some 800 sandpaper and elbow grease and cleaned up the shaft as much as possible. Then i again used a wire brush on a drill and some carb cleaner. Then more sandpaper. It cleaned up some but still isnt polished by any stretch.

So i put some marine grease and synthetic oil on it just to see if the gear would slide back on. It would not but the use of force from a hammer did the trick. I used a hammer and a piece of wood to get it started and once the gear had been hammered down the shaft about an inch it did free up the rest of the way. I used my hands to press it all the way down from there and the gear could be moved all the way to the engaged position and back up the shaft to the unengaged position.

My question is simple: is this part ready for reassembly now that you can use your hands to move the cam gear in and out whereas you can't remove it completely by hand?

Ive already gone over budget on this winch and i usually do but wt this juncture i need an expert to tell me if i should procure a new brake shaft and cam gear or if there is a newer design warn has that would be superior in every way.

Thanks- clay

I'm no expert, but I would at least price out the shaft from Warn. I don't think there's a substitute for this part. And the 8274 is a good winch to stick with.

I'm definitely going to replace the part if needed. I have completed the media blast and powdercoat process and bot the 9.5xp motor. Also pulled the shaft out of the uppercasing and replaced the 2 needle bearings with a made in usa sealed bearing that really smoothed up that gear. And tapped a drain and fill hole for a 1/8 npt aluminum plug. Dont worry i will post a full thread on the rebuild once completed.

I realize this is an old post.

I am dealing with the very same issue. The end of the shaft was rusty and pitted. I used a hammer and then a press to get the cam gear off. It took all the 20ton press had to offer. I wire brushed the shaft and then sand blasted it in a cabinet. The cam gear will not even start. Any luck with freezing the brake shaft and heating the cam gear?

If I can get it to it’s resting place and it moves freely, will it work? I also am over budget and would prefer not to replace.

The problem is that end of the brake shaft, as in the last 1/8th of an inch, has a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the shaft. Either from being pressed or hammered or maybe thats by design but you can use a grinder and remove the material slowly - and carefully, and get it to be the same diameter as the rest of the shaft. Thats what worked for me anyway.
Be sure to leave enough material for the snap ring.

The problem is that end of the brake shaft, as in the last 1/8th of an inch, has a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the shaft. Either from being pressed or hammered or maybe thats by design but you can use a grinder and remove the material slowly - and carefully, and get it to be the same diameter as the rest of the shaft. Thats what worked for me anyway.
Be sure to leave enough material for the snap ring.

I wish I had a lathe, but in its absence, I carefully sanded the end of the shaft with a belt sander using 800 grit until the cam slid on easily. Mindful to leave enough meat for the circlip to stay put. Thanks for the advice DUCKLN.

Brake Shaft.jpg

Glad it worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom