fresh desmog, no start. DIAG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's weird. W/ the plate closed, there is not enough airflow to idle. W/ the plate covering the idle slot, there is not enough fuel to idle.
Somehow the engine is getting enough air & fuel to idle at 1000rpm, which would pretty much have to be coming through carb somehow.
Another carb can be sent to you to exchange w/ the current one to see if that fixes it. If it does fix, we'll do an autopsy on original carb to see WTH is going on inside.

I'd be interested in that. DM me the details you need.

I have a cruisercrap ICS, so you could send me the carb with no solenoid, and ill use the ICS I have.

Jim is sending a carb soon I believe. I have been daily driving the car and it runs great, my mpg has increased, more responsive, feels way healthier. Prob done 400 miles already.

Idle is Still a problem. Cold start idle is 700rpm, after a minute of warming up and driving it becomes 1000rpms. After 20 minutes of or fully warmed up it's at 1100. I've been checking the idle screw every couple days to make sure that it still does nothing. Vacuum after 5 minutes of driving is 20.5, cold start is like 17-18.

Occasionally If I turn It off for 20 minutes Then back on it will idle rough for about a minute and will need choke to maintain idle, then it goes right back to having high idle and steady vacuum.

*** I need the screw that holds the choke cable to the carb, but cars had no problems without choke.

*** I have an occasional very light intermittent humming sound that I can't trace, more audible in the cabin but sounds like it's from the bay or firewall area

DIAGNOIS THIS: I've have lost 3 gas caps since I've owned this car. And they are 18 bucks each!

the last time I was filling up I laughed to myself about how I wouldn't do it again, and I did it again that same fill up...

I was thinking more coffee or less cold weather and work? suggestions on where to start?

You can modify the cap a variety of ways to have it hang off a wire or whatever. Personally I always put my cap in my pocket. Can't lose it that way.

still waiting for an update from Jim about the carb swap,

did LED interior lights, license plate, brake and reverse. def recommend. Also did the parking lamp but it looked ricey i had to put the old bulbs back in after the room mate made fun of it.

00Q0Q_2rO2WSMFDtZ_600x450.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 8.17.57 PM.png

Still? Have you picked up the phone? Seems you need to ship your carb off right? Get on it!

It's my daily driver and i really can't put the car out like that again. Jim said he will send me a carb then i'll send him mine in return.

Yeah I remember that but seems you might need to get on it fast. If he's busy rebuilding then he may need yours first. Or get him on the phone and maybe he can mail out Wed and you pull on a Fri (if you work M-F) to ship. Then your get his Sat possibly and he gets yours Mon. If your still DD, it must be doing okay?

Jim is sending a carb soon I believe. I have been daily driving the car and it runs great, my mpg has increased, more responsive, feels way healthier. Prob done 400 miles already.

Idle is Still a problem. Cold start idle is 700rpm, after a minute of warming up and driving it becomes 1000rpms. After 20 minutes of or fully warmed up it's at 1100. I've been checking the idle screw every couple days to make sure that it still does nothing. Vacuum after 5 minutes of driving is 20.5, cold start is like 17-18.

Occasionally If I turn It off for 20 minutes Then back on it will idle rough for about a minute and will need choke to maintain idle, then it goes right back to having high idle and steady vacuum.

*** I need the screw that holds the choke cable to the carb, but cars had no problems without choke.

*** I have an occasional very light intermittent humming sound that I can't trace, more audible in the cabin but sounds like it's from the bay or firewall area
Sounds like you are having very similar issues to what is going on with mine. If you put your toe behind the pedal when it is idling at 1K+ and pull a little can you drop the idle?

Also, the humming is something that I occasionally have as well.. To me it sounds like a bearing or something that is just a little off and "groaning" a bit. Don't know if it is the throwout bearing, or something else but I notice no ill effects when I hear it and it only happens for me when idling.

i got the new carb from jim c, and instantly put it on! thanks jim, It resolved the issue, idle dropped and didn't raise dramatically once at operating temp. I'm about to return ship mine back to.

after 20ish miles I've noticed that it drives the exact same, which is good.
- It idles low without using choke during cold starts, no complaints because it only takes 30 seconds then i can push the choke in and everythings normal. that probably is normal. but my previous carb would idle without the choke almost every time even when it was really cold.

the only thing that bugs me now is the occasional humming sound, which i swear ONLY HAPPENS AT NIGHT.... it makes no sense. I DONT think its electrical. If i drive with my lights on during the day, there is no humming. Firewall area, center or slightly right side. def engine bay. nothing i can see. i replaced my clutch line a little ago, but don't think its that.

Hi, Humming ...speedometer cable. At least mine has done that. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom