Saginaw power steering hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SMG

Threads
Where's the best place to purchase hoses for my Saginaw conversion?
Is it better to go with braided stainless steel?

Thanks

Last edited:
I used blue high pressure parker hose from summit racing. I didn't do stainless because if it the fender well it won't scratch as easy. Can't remember which high pressure fittings I used-their are several brands to choose from. Return side hose can be low pressure hose. Sometimes u can find military surplus high pressure hydraulic hose on ebay for cheap if u wanna save money.

I'm in the middle of doing the saginaw pump to mini truck gearbox conversion. I asked my local NAPA store and they said they could make the hose if I know what fittings I need. Don't know a price yet, but he said about $8 per foot. Probably only need about 2 feet or less, but he didn't know how much until we knew what end fittings I'd need. They just told me to bring in the gearbox and pump when I was ready and they could make one to fit.

I would think the cheapest route would be to have someone who builds hoses make you a couple.

I built my own using Fragola hydraulic AN fittings from Summit. Super simple to do. No special tools needed. I used the blue hose because it is easy to work with. At the time I ordered, Summit had Earl's and Fragola blue hose in different lengths so I ordered both. Both ended up being the same exact hose, make by Parker. I plumbed a small oil cooler cause Georg thinks they are important.
i would highly recommend running a ps cooler as well.

these work very well:

B&M 70255 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers - summitracing.com

i use them on every ps conversion i perform. i will not do a conversion without a cooler. ;)

I also plumbed a remote oil filter cause I have the propensity to go overboard. You'll need to know what size the two female fittings on your gearbox are. I don't remember. Mine were two different sizes. So I got two AN male to male adapters for the gearbox.

One question

If I've a champion rad with tranny cooler ports, will such ports work for the gear box? If so, how do i plug it?

Thanks

One question

If I've a champion rad with tranny cooler ports, will such ports work for the gear box? If so, how do i plug it?

Thanks
Champion uses 1/2-20 straight threads for their tranny cooler ports. I found some 1/2-20 to -6 AN fittings and will be using those to plumb the cooler to the steering box (I'm running a ported saginaw to a redneck ram from west texas offroad).

Champion uses 1/2-20 straight threads for their tranny cooler ports. I found some 1/2-20 to -6 AN fittings and will be using those to plumb the cooler to the steering box (I'm running a ported saginaw to a redneck ram from west texas offroad).

Is it possible for you to show the fittings and where did you get them? and please send pics of your set up.

thanks

This is my plan too.

Great. Then we'll need the same parts

Since I'm new at power steering, Can someone explain and send a picture to see where the high pressure and low pressure, filter goes? and also to know if the cooler goes on the high or low pressure hose.

Thanks

Here's the P.S. hose kit in my ebay store:
s-l64.jpg
s-l64-2.jpg
s-l64-1.jpg

Yes -6 AN
I bought 10' of "Fragola" & 6' of "Earl's". Both were the exact same Parker hose. Here it is. I am in no way trying push this. I woulda rather had black hose. Just posting what I did.
IMG_2748.JPG

Note* the hydraulic hose twists into this part of the fitting Counter-Clockwise.
IMG_2752.JPG

Then some lube and clockwise onto this portion
IMG_2753.JPG

Last edited:
I have used the Russell stainless power steering hose and fittings its not as exspensive as you might think and is a smaller outer dia than a stock or hydraulic hose
As for cooling using the cooler in a rad
Trying to use something that has a temperature of
Around 200 deg += as a cooler never has made sense to me
And adding more heat into the radiator by something that potentially runs hotter than that
I dropped ten deg coolant temp climbing long hills
In my tow rig by bypassing the rad cooler and just
Running the large aftermarket trans cooler
Also the trans temp seems to take longer to rise
And cools down faster after the climb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom