Would you run to buy it...or away from it? (used 200LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Medium-time lurker here and consumer of the collective wisdom shared here. I'm in the hunt for my first LC. There's a 2008 with around 100K miles that *looks* to be in great shape for around $30k. Through used car dealer, one prior owner. There aren't too many 200's going around for less than $40k, so this looks enticing.

Concern: There is only ONE service record for it on the Toyota site. Carfax shows 3: I think one is the pre-delivery detailing. I know from reading lots here that good service records are highly desirable, so you know it has been maintained well, so this gives me pause.

Question: is there a reasonable explanation for this? Giant red flag? Dealer had no intel. I've stayed away due to this, but I guess I'm secretly hoping the answer is " nah, that happens all the time, no big deal, go buy it." But I suppose if I have to ask the question, I already know the answer...

Anxiously waiting to "officially" join the IH8MUD club,

Sean

I think it depends like most things, for when I sold my FJ with 126,000 miles. Toyota and CarFax had about 3 service records on it. I do all my own work, and was able to accurately articulate that to the buyer (who is now one of my good friends).

So if it is a private sale, and the vehicle itself looks well taken care of, the owner could of felt that he could maintain better than a dealer.
If buying from a dealership, then you just don't have that information and that is enough to push me away.

Hi All,
Medium-time lurker here and consumer of the collective wisdom shared here. I'm in the hunt for my first LC. There's a 2008 with around 100K miles that *looks* to be in great shape for around $30k. Through used car dealer, one prior owner. There aren't too many 200's going around for less than $40k, so this looks enticing.

Concern: There is only ONE service record for it on the Toyota site. Carfax shows 3: I think one is the pre-delivery detailing. I know from reading lots here that good service records are highly desirable, so you know it has been maintained well, so this gives me pause.

Question: is there a reasonable explanation for this? Giant red flag? Dealer had no intel. I've stayed away due to this, but I guess I'm secretly hoping the answer is " nah, that happens all the time, no big deal, go buy it." But I suppose if I have to ask the question, I already know the answer...

Anxiously waiting to "officially" join the IH8MUD club,

Sean
INSPECTION?
Virginia is a big state, but the guys (Nathan/Vince) at Forge Specialties @35inchoverdrive / Forge Specialties LLC and Ryan Bascom at OTRAMM @OTRAMM / OTRAMM & Warrenton Hybrid are well qualified to inspect what is there vs. what was done.....

Thanks guys. ONE record at the Toyota site from the VIN - a warranty claim for some niggling things.

It is at a dealer, so no way to verify PO's methods of maintenance. Sounds like a no.
(been reading some of the classifieds questions about faults/limitations of the carfax reporting and owner/dealer shenanigans, so I'm not going to risk it ATM. At least, not as a novice.

Thanks Ward for the tips to the VA shops. Not too far from Warrenton, will file that away for when I pull the trigger.

The only thing that would make me run from it is bad rust. No service records? Who cares? Its not a 95 Range Rover, its a 2008 LC200 with 100k! The only thing to really look for is a weeping water pump or leaky radiator, those are the only real issues on an 08. But it has likely had the WP replaced already at the mileage. If it hasnt, then maybe you will have to replace it in the future. No big deal. Go look at it, drive it, and if it doesnt make bad noises, bad smells, no warning lights, no bad leaks, no smoke, and everything works like it should, buy it if you like it. It aint rocket surgery.

Consider that this car new, was an almost 80k car. There is almost no way an owner of this type of car will let its maintenance fallow. Nor is there really much of any material maintenance other than oil changes until now.

You're buying a top of the line toy. Not a commodity beater. Much like Porsche owners, especially original owners, you'll be just fine.

Consider that this car new, was an almost 80k car. There is almost no way an owner of this type of car will let its maintenance fallow. Nor is there really much of any material maintenance other than oil changes until now.

You're buying a top of the line toy. Not a commodity beater. Much like Porsche owners, especially original owners, you'll be just fine.

You're saying people with the means to lease/buy an 80k car will treat said car as delicately and follow maintenance as they should? I can say with experience; nope. They're primarily driven by housewives who, unless the MFD or their significant other tells them, won't service the vehicle. Or by enthusiast who don't give a s*** about the vehicle beyond their term or knows the resale worth. If it was leased I feel much less secure about a car with no records. They're basically beaten into submission and traded to a new owner at the end of the term, either by hard driving or neglect. A leased premium car is one step above a rental.

Unfortunately, this line of thought is not entirely accurate, and in my experience is far from reality. I spent a couple of years looking for a good deal on a 200 (you can read about some of my experiences here which are linked to more experiences I had: Another swing and miss!), and the vast majority of 200s I came across in Denver where absolutely trashed and overpriced. I think it's far more likely to find an LX that's been treated well and maintained, but time and time again the LCs I saw were rode hard, put away wet, and not maintained well at all. Many members here have had the same experience if you search around to see what others went through to find theirs. When I was looking for my 100 series years ago, it seemed to me the proportion of those taken well care of was notably higher than that of the 200 (LC variety - was not interested in an LX).

Unfortunately, this line of thought is not entirely accurate, and in my experience is far from reality. I spent a couple of years looking for a good deal on a 200 (you can read about some of my experiences here which are linked to more experiences I had: Another swing and miss!), and the vast majority of 200s I came across in Denver where absolutely trashed and overpriced. I think it's far more likely to find an LX that's been treated well and maintained, but time and time again the LCs I saw were rode hard, put away wet, and not maintained well at all. Many members here have had the same experience if you search around to see what others went through to find theirs. When I was looking for my 100 series years ago, it seemed to me the proportion of those taken well care of was notably higher than that of the 200 (LC variety - was not interested in an LX).

Agree.

If anything...a lot of folks with cash to burn know they'll just trade it in a few years...and don't really care about longevity. :( On the other hand...some folks who NEED it to keep working for a long time (that would be me) are more careful to keep up because they can't afford it crapping out early...

There is no formula for who takes care or not...just saying that it can go either way. Folks with money could fix EVERYTHING...or not care. And...folks without a lot of extra cash could either be careful...or neglect things due to expense of upkeep.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. I have passed on several...either trashed or overpriced. Not all 200 owners take care of them like we would. I have passed on several bc there were no service records and pictures told the story of a truck that was abused. Others have been waaaay overpriced and I want one...but not that bad.

Be patient. You'll find the right one. I've been looking for several months. I'm in no rush and I'll know when I find the right one.

Guy

the vast majority of 200s I came across in Denver where absolutely trashed and overpriced.

But this would be obvious to anyone looking at it. You don't need service records or to pay for an inspection to tell you that or to spot a trashed vehicle or an overpriced one. Again, these are at most 8 year old Land Cruisers. They are not Range Rovers or Ferraris or even BMWs. They are Toyotas. People need to just trust their own judgment.

But this would be obvious to anyone looking at it. You don't need service records or to pay for an inspection to tell you that or to spot a trashed vehicle or an overpriced one. Again, these are at most 8 year old Land Cruisers. They are not Range Rovers or Ferraris or even BMWs. They are Toyotas. People need to just trust their own judgment.

@89cruiserfj62 Perhaps you're misreading my comment. I said that Teckis' assertion that all 200s are going to be pampered and well taken care of because they're over $80k new was not the experience I had. Obviously anyone can tell by visually looking at it if it's been trashed :rolleyes:

If you're purchasing a vehicle out of state, as many of us have done, it's difficult to get a good gauge on the vehicle without service records and/or an independent inspection.

@89cruiserfj62 Perhaps you're misreading my comment. I said that Teckis' assertion that all 200s are going to be pampered and well taken care of because they're over $80k new was not the experience I had. Obviously anyone can tell by visually looking at it if it's been trashed :rolleyes:

No, I know, I was just using your comment as an example. Im really speaking to the OP. My point is, that just because a vehicle doesnt have any service records, doesnt mean you should avoid it.

If you're purchasing a vehicle out of state, as many of us have done, it's difficult to get a good gauge on the vehicle without service records and/or an independent inspection.

Is the vehicle in question out of state or nearby? I was under the impression that it was nearby and he could just go look at it himself.

OP here. It is actually fairly close by, so looking it over is very doable. But I am not very confident in my ability to see much past the cosmetics (e.g., dealer detailing).

Without any docs on the service, if the fluids looked good now, you wouldn't know whether the owner (or the used car dealer) had just changed all the fluids to ready it for sale, correct? A pre-purchase inspection (if the used car dealer allowed it, not sure it that is common or not) wouldn't really be able to tell if there was wear/damage internal to engine or transmission, right ?

I am just surprised to think the first owner wouldn't take one of these cars to the dealer for service. At least the more major ones. Might make it harder for me to resell in the future?

Having seen a few threads about people uncovering, shall we say, "unethical sellers"...e.g., repairing accident damage without reporting it to police and / or insurance, and selling it off as "Clean Carfax!" -- makes me nervous. Then again as we all know, they don't sell very many of these in the US these days, so finding one close by, in the right price/mileage bracket, on the right coast, is not easy.

Does it matter that it is Salsa Red? Looks OK to me, but is that committing some TLC faux pas? ;)

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your perspectives. I think I chalk it up as a "No" for now, but if I get weak and actually go check it out, I'll let you know.

A leased premium car is one step above a rental.
"Don't be gentle, it's a rental" ... maybe the lease version is "It don't need grease, it's a lease"

This truck was with first owner 8-9 years, so not a lease. But an undocumented one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom