What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In all seriousness - I prefer to drive my 60 instead (just to s*** you even further, it is a hj61 12ht 5speed manual). We really should have bought a new RAV4 as the fiancée still has the one she bought brand new in 1999, and it does everything that she needs a car to do...
The only reason we bought the 200 was that the rav needed an upgrade, and the 200 was her Dad's car that he was going to trade in on a new one (it is Oct 2014 with about 25000kms now, and not a mark on it....). The price was right...

In all seriousness - I prefer to drive my 60 instead (just to s*** you even further, it is a hj61 12ht 5speed manual). We really should have bought a new RAV4 as the fiancée still has the one she bought brand new in 1999, and it does everything that she needs a car to do...
The only reason we bought the 200 was that the rav needed an upgrade, and the 200 was her Dad's car that he was going to trade in on a new one (it is Oct 2014 with about 25000kms now, and not a mark on it....). The price was right...
:bang:

Since we don't have a 200 lighting thread...I was wondering if anybody has pulled the trigger on Lightforce's new DL230 HTX 70W HID flamethrowers? At 9" I am wondering if they could conflict with the cruise control camera. $$$$

@Haggis - just mounted up my Vision X 8.7'ers....... at roughly the same spec sizewise they don't trigger the PCS, and the camera IF it was in the stock location would be fine, albeit a bit clipped to the sides..... the Vision's are AMAZING..... laser like distance penetration and very narrow beam - perfect at half mile plus to cover the width of a 2 lane - will try to get pics tonight once I get home....

E

I'm in a similar boat at the minute Silveredition, I've just spent all weekend stripping out my 200 so that it can be taken in to the panelbeaters today and start having the hail dents taken out. I'll now be driving my old 60 Series to work for the next 2 weeks, and I can't wait!! People that are stuck behind me on the hills are going to have to learn some patience for the next fortnight!!!

The chrome in the grille was bugging me so was just going to black out the whole thing but realized all the chrome bits pop off pretty easily. Decided to test that out with dip and leave some contrast with the grey painted parts. May black it out completely, not sure. For now its better than chrome.

FullSizeR_zpsso7ekqaf.jpg

IMG_4527_zpsbdw6k1hj.jpg

While I had the camera off I noticed the lens was glass so I tried a trick from the old glass audi headlight days and just sprayed clear coat over the glass lens. Once it dried up it cleared up some of the lighter sand blasting/pitting. Not perfect but definitely better.

I restored the headlights on my '08 Yesterday using the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit. Incredibly happy with the result. The lights were becoming depressingly foggy particularly on top. I touched them up previously with a clay bar that I had, but that wasn't really cutting it anymore. I was a little reluctant to use the kit because they were not badly neglected, as the kit says that's what it's for. I used the low grit only on the top portion of the lights and the high grit throughout. Be forewarned, the process involves scratching the headlamp up at first with the the discs, but once you buff it out here is what you get (sorry about the lack of a before picture). I really thought some of the yellow discoloration was deep within, but it was all superficial. I am no longer looking for replacement headlamps.

image.jpeg

The chrome in the grille was bugging me so was just going to black out the whole thing but realized all the chrome bits pop off pretty easily. Decided to test that out with dip and leave some contrast with the grey painted parts. May black it out completely, not sure. For now its better than chrome.

FullSizeR_zpsso7ekqaf.jpg

IMG_4527_zpsbdw6k1hj.jpg

While I had the camera off I noticed the lens was glass so I tried a trick from the old glass audi headlight days and just sprayed clear coat over the glass lens. Once it dried up it cleared up some of the lighter sand blasting/pitting. Not perfect but definitely better.

Looks great!

I spent the better part of a full day and a half replacing:
1) Radiator
2) Water pump
3) Thermostat
4) Drive belt

Whereas Toyotas are great vehicles - and usually designed well - I have a gripe: It's almost some kind of sick, twisted engineering joke:
1) You can get to 3 of the 4 radiator bolts easily. To get to the last one you need to remove the transmission cooler air shroud - just behind the grill (on the passenger side - see photo below).
2) You can get to 3 of the 4 shroud fasteners easily - but to get to the 4th, you need to remove the headlight.
3) You can get to 3 of the 4 headlight fasteners easily - but to get to the 4th, you need to remove the F@#$ing BUMPER cover!:bang:

I managed a work-around by bending the plastic at the lower part of the trans cooler shroud and keeping a long extension in there.

Here's another tip: go ahead and run a tap through the captive nuts on the new radiator you just paid nearly $400 for from the dealer - I had to remove mine twice before I could get all four bolts to thread properly. Once I figured out that was the problem (an hour - of cursing - later) it was "smooth sailing".
I made a video that I'll edit together and post at some point.....

I would also like to smack the dufus that thought those damn little plastic fasteners could ever be reused - I'll need to pick some of those up to secure the beauty panel between the radiator and the grill.

IMG_8327.JPG
IMG_8326.JPG
IMG_8329.JPG

Ahhh, all cleaned up. THIS is what gets me to sleep at night.....

Last edited:
in the radiator replacement thread there should be suggestions to leave the passenger side mount in the truck and slide the radiator up and out of that bracket. makes the job so much easier.

I restored the headlights on my '08 Yesterday using the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit. Incredibly happy with the result. The lights were becoming depressingly foggy particularly on top. I touched them up previously with a clay bar that I had, but that wasn't really cutting it anymore. I was a little reluctant to use the kit because they were not badly neglected, as the kit says that's what it's for. I used the low grit only on the top portion of the lights and the high grit throughout. Be forewarned, the process involves scratching the headlamp up at first with the the discs, but once you buff it out here is what you get (sorry about the lack of a before picture). I really thought some of the yellow discoloration was deep within, but it was all superficial. I am no longer looking for replacement headlamps.

View attachment 1410433

I would consider keeping them sealed to help prevent the oxidation from returning. I use ChemicalGuys Jetseal to help keep mine from fading to begin with but the following video shows how it helped prevent it from happening again, one year later...

I like all of their products. I'm not affiliated with them whatsoever.

I would consider keeping them sealed to help prevent the oxidation from returning. I use ChemicalGuys Jetseal to help keep mine from fading to begin with but the following video shows how it helped prevent it from happening again, one year later...

I like all of their products. I'm not affiliated with them whatsoever.

Just google'd this place and stumbled across this: Chemical Guys WAC314 - Innovate Paste Wax and Paint Coating (8 oz)

That's a joke right? $2,499 for 8oz of wax? The best part is the review on it: "Had to sell my car to buy it but this stuff is worth it. Currently saving up to buy another car to try it on but this stuff smells awesome so it has to be good." :rofl:

Since we don't have a 200 lighting thread...I was wondering if anybody has pulled the trigger on Lightforce's new DL230 HTX 70W HID flamethrowers? At 9" I am wondering if they could conflict with the cruise control camera. $$$$

@Haggis - just mounted up my Vision X 8.7'ers.

Same here, 8.7" IPF LEDs don't interfere - the cruise control radar is dead center, behind the Toyota logo on the OEM grill. That small black box in front:

20161117_174236_1479426447378.jpg

Just read the specs on the DL230 HTX - "Effective lumens: 8400" ... :D dang!

in the radiator replacement thread there should be suggestions to leave the passenger side mount in the truck and slide the radiator up and out of that bracket. makes the job so much easier.
I was going to do this, but the lower fasteners on my radiator (that hold the passenger side to the side-mount were rusted. The plastic lower corner of the radiator (which holds the square captive nut in place) cracked badly when the square nut started to turn (due to rust). At this point I just really wanted an entirely new radiator assembly in there.....not that I think reusing the side mount would negatively impact the longevity.

@NLScooby , sucks to hear about rust and broken bolts. One of nice things about living in AZ, no rust.

@NLScooby , sucks to hear about rust and broken bolts. One of nice things about living in AZ, no rust.
Yeah - I miss the desert! Grew up in Tucson and went to grad school in Glendale.....although I don't miss coming outside to see that my motorcycle was nearly laying on the ground because the kickstand sank through the hot asphalt! Used to carry a switchplate cover to put under it!

Woah! Sweet deal!

I started messaging people selling Rock Warrior Trucks with aftermarket wheels to see if they still had the original RW wheels and whether they wanted to sell them. I had two people that responded yes with reasonable pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom