My Hawaiian HJ60 Refresh, Maintenance and Good Times (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few other small things that got done. With the new windshield in, the windshield wipers got a makeover. The metal arms got cleaned up and got a fresh coat of flat black paint. The plastic arm bases that pop up to expose the wiper hardware got JB welded where there was a few minor cracks, then primed and painted flat black to match the arms. New wiper blades we're screwed on.
image.jpeg

New OEM plastic base cups were popped in (have no idea what they are called), as the old ones were cracked and faded.
image.jpeg

Had some gas struts put in to replace the old spring and rod set up. Followed the instructions and materials list from a couple threads here on mud. Nice little upgrade.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also changed out the old rusted in place antennae. Had no idea if it was the original one, so just bought one to match what came out. But instead of the chrome one, went with a black colored version to match the rest of the mostly de-chromed accessories.
Fit the fender contour really well for a generic aftermarket antennae.
image.jpeg

Time for the chrome emblems to go back on. They were not in too bad of shape so we decided to reuse them. They were a bit dull, but when cleaned and sprayed with a semi-gloss clear coat they shined right up!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For the rear chrome license plate light emblem, it was also in pretty good condition. Some surface rust was treated and painted on the backside, the rubber gasket got a good cleaning, and used some chrome polish on the front. The only thing bad was the black paint around the TOYOTA name was rubbed away in some places. So Mike hand painted it with some John Deere Blitz Black to freshen it up. Very happy with the results.
image.jpeg

Also wanted a bit more Land Cruiser representation on the back. So found this great metal license plate frame to help out with that. It is a black frame, with etch in chrome letters. It matches really well with the Toyota emblem above.

Just in case anyone wondered where our license plate design comes from, it would be our abundance of beautiful rainbows.
image.jpeg

Did u guys put any insulation in the doors? I like the color. Not too flashy.
Thanks! I also don't think it is very flashy, but it sure does get a lot of attention anywhere it goes!!

For the doors, we didn't put any insulation in the door cavity itself. But we did put some double foil backed bubble insulation on the back side of all the door panels.
image.jpeg

Seemed to help firm up the panel against the metal door when clipped back in. And there doesn't seem to be any rattling coming from the door when driving (very noticeable when driving before). We get a very nice solid thud when closing the doors, very pleased!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Before going back on, the door panels themselves got a very thorough cleaning with a vinyl cleaner/protectant on the vinyl and plastic pieces, and fabric/carpet deodorizer and cleaner for the lower carpet portion and factory fabric on the upper part. It turned out great, but helped a lot that they were in pretty good shape to begin with.
image.jpeg

Thanks! I also don't think it is very flashy, but it sure does get a lot of attention anywhere it goes!!

For the doors, we didn't put any insulation in the door cavity itself. But we did put some double foil backed bubble insulation on the back side of all the door panels.
View attachment 1412148
Seemed to help firm up the panel against the metal door when clipped back in. And there doesn't seem to be any rattling coming from the door when driving (very noticeable when driving before). We get a very nice solid thud when closing the doors, very pleased!
View attachment 1412151
View attachment 1412150
Before going back on, the door panels themselves got a very thorough cleaning with a vinyl cleaner/protectant on the vinyl and plastic pieces, and fabric/carpet deodorizer and cleaner for the lower carpet portion and factory fabric on the upper part. It turned out great, but helped a lot that they were in pretty good shape to begin with.
View attachment 1412149

Project looks awesome. Having gutted my 62, I can appreciate the time and effort you guys have put in.

One thing that has made a huge improvement in sound deadening in my truck- put a single layer of "cruiser crap" dynamat-like material on the inside surface of the door itself...no need to do the entire inner surface, a 2' wide by 2' tall patch does the trick. I know you are trying to avoid attaching anything to the body, but it's night and day with that single layer of insulation. It made the door close with a nice dead "thunk" as opposed to a "ping". Lot of road noise/vibes come through the doors...

cool,

seth
Sonoma

This dash cover showed up on my doorstep last April.
image.jpeg

Big boxes from Land Cruiser vendors are always a nice surprise.
image.jpeg

It has been sitting in my garage all this time waiting to be installed! Finally got it to a point when it could be put in. Makes the interior look new!! My dash is actually in really good shape with just one small little crack. But thought this would be a great way to protect from the sun and give the interior a really finished look. It is not glued down, but is fitted pretty tight just floating on the dash.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh ok that works. Where did you get the foil insulation? I like that you don't have to permanently stick it to anything.
The foil insulation is from Hawaiian Hardware, our local building and contractor supply store. I believe it is used to wrap around water heaters and other insulation applications. You could probably find at any hardware store. Duct tape sticks really well to it, an it is nice having it easily removed if needed.

Project looks awesome. Having gutted my 62, I can appreciate the time and effort you guys have put in.

One thing that has made a huge improvement in sound deadening in my truck- put a single layer of "cruiser crap" dynamat-like material on the inside surface of the door itself...no need to do the entire inner surface, a 2' wide by 2' tall patch does the trick. I know you are trying to avoid attaching anything to the body, but it's night and day with that single layer of insulation. It made the door close with a nice dead "thunk" as opposed to a "ping". Lot of road noise/vibes come through the doors...

cool,

seth
Sonoma
Thanks! As for the door cavity, it already had a 1 ft by 2 ft piece of the same factory sound deadener on the floor. Looked like it was factory as well, but maybe one of the PO's put it on there. It is in all the doors and also on behind the rear cargo panels. The doors definatly have a nice solid thud when they close.

A short scenic photo intermission. I am grateful for the land or 'aina that I call home. 'o ka ha o ka 'aina ke ola o ka po'e, which translates to "The breath of the land is the life of the people".
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
After all cleaning and prep work was done, it was off to the paint and body shop. A little nerve racking dropping it off and putting such an important possession in someone else hands, but since we can't do paint and body work ourselves, it had to be done.
One of the last drives before heading off for a whole new color!
View attachment 1408362
Dropped it off with just a drivers seat and a steering wheel. Didn't see it for a few months, as our agreement with the shop was that in exchange for what we felt was a very fair price, they could work on it in between insurance jobs. Since it wasn't a daily driver, we told them to take all the time they needed to do it right.....which ended up being about 3 months! It was gone for so long, I kept thinking I was seeing it all over the island! Luckily they weren't, just other 60's that I usually never see.
View attachment 1408363

We got a few grainy update pictures from the shop of the metal work done and the primer going on.
View attachment 1408364
View attachment 1408365

Then the day came when we got a picture texted to us from the shop saying it was ready to be picked up!!!
View attachment 1408366
It was exciting to see the new color and turned out better then I had hoped! We went with a Toyota factory color 6V7. Wasn't ever a 60 series color, but we wanted something different and really like how it turned out.
I really dig the smoke/forest green tint to it. Gorgeous rig! You should be proud.

There is nothing like tropical mountains. Nothing on North America compares.
Well, some back on the mainland may disagree with you.....but I feel it is one of the most beautiful places in the world!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This dash cover showed up on my doorstep last April.
View attachment 1412379

Big boxes from Land Cruiser vendors are always a nice surprise.
View attachment 1412380

It has been sitting in my garage all this time waiting to be installed! Finally got it to a point when it could be put in. Makes the interior look new!! My dash is actually in really good shape with just one small little crack. But thought this would be a great way to protect from the sun and give the interior a really finished look. It is not glued down, but is fitted pretty tight just floating on the dash.
View attachment 1412383
View attachment 1412381
View attachment 1412382
Are you happy with the grain in the new dash cover? It looks deeper than oem? Just curious, Thanks.....

With it pretty much back together and in drivable condition, decided to take it out and get some glamour shots as the sun set. pictures are a bit dark, but nice to have it back on the road again.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom