What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I should have traded places with him today :eek:. There's only like 5 other land cruisers in the state of Iowa ( @LS1FJ40 owns 2/3 of them ) so I have to roll with the Jeep crews. It was a good time though :)

20170225_091727.jpg

@Dudleyfj40 is catching up. All he has to do is ditch him Lame-O Cheby pickup or convince the wifey to roll in a 80 Series and he will be right there with me!

That Jeep is so cute and tiny! It's adorable! :rofl:

Without question I married up! I'm somehow still fooling her into staying with me so.....SSSHHHHHH!

Mud needs a "I'm Tip my cap to you, sir!" Emoticon

Hit a bit of a milestone this week...
20170223_185007.jpg

Last edited:
Today I installed the ARB snorkel. (Keywords for search: ARB Snorkel Installation hints)
Tools acquired for the job:
-3 5/8 hole saw (saw and arbor purchased from Home Depot)
-cheapo step bit set (Autocraft Part No. AC1060 from Advance Auto)
-Astro 1427 Riv-nut tool (purchased from Amazon)
-stainless rivnuts (purchased from Amazon)

Other tools/materials on hand:
-1/2" chuck corded hammer drill
-Metric socket set with extensions
-automatic center punch
-touch up spray paint and primer (I had another color of red...it was close enough for something that will never be seen once the snorkel is in place)
-Locktite blue
-Shin Etsu silicone grease (for the rubber component assemblies)
-Sharpie
-set of drill bits
-razor blade
-rat tail file
-emery cloth
-scissors
-masking tape

I used M5 stainless metric button head bolts from the hardware store threaded into rivnuts in place of the chintzy screws into plastic inserts in the A-pillar that ARB provides. The top two holes were easy, but the bottom hold required cutting down the rivnut as there's some form of reinforcement behind the skin. I also had to open up the holes in the ARB aluminum bracket with a 1/4 then 5/16 bit to allow the M5 bolts to pass through. In retrospect, simply using the Rivnuts on the top two bolts would've been more than adequate.

My snorkel was date coded 5/16 so it's a later model that didn't need the heating and dimpling to fit around the antenna. I did, however, use a razor blade and trim the rubber trim grommet around the antenna base for a perfectly flush fit.

Hints and key findings to add to the mediocre ARB instruction sheet:
-TRUST THE TEMPLATE! You will have to notch it to accommodate the US antenna. There is no indicator light on US market vehicles so you'll have to index it on the door, hood, and scuttle seams.
-Mark all holes on the fender. Then use and automatic center punch and drill 1/8 pilot holes in all fender marked spots. DO NOT drill the A-pillar at this time.
-Drill the Big Hole. Use a corded 1/2" chuck drill and work slowly with only light pressure. The Big Hole is the index upon which everything else rests.
-it is NOT necessary to drill 16mm holes in the fender for the studs.. Start at about 3/8" and use the step bit to open up the holes just enough for the studs to get through. Smaller is better in this case.
-Once the fender stud holes and big hole are good, bolt the bracket to the upper portion of the snorkel and test fit. Mark the top and bottom of the bracket with a Sharpie. Remove the bracket from the snorkel stack and hold it up to your newly marked top and bottom lines. Mark your holes with sharpie and then punch and drill 1/8" pilot holes. The two bolts that hold the snorkel to the bracket are the last to be tightened.
-It is necessary to unbolt the power antenna motor and cruise control units but not disconnect them. The power antenna mast and motor assembly can drop down into the fender once you unbolt the motor and use a set of bent nose pliers to unscrew the bezel. It is not necessary to remove or disconnect the antenna cables. You only need to move the motor to get access to the last stud deep in the fender near the firewall.
-Be sure to use primer and touch up paint to prevent rusting around the cut holes
-Clean the holes with a rat tail file and some emery cloth/sandpaper or a Dremel grinding stone.
-Order of tightening operations: 1) bracket to a pillar 2) Big studs 3) small stud 4) snorkel to bracket 5) snorkel to hose (molded numbers facing UP) 6) hose to airbox intake

Holes drilled, primed, and hit with red touch-up paint (which will be hidden behind snorkel)
View attachment 1409699

Bracket detail with button head M5 bolts threaded to riv-nuts
View attachment 1409700

Riv Nuts! Under 30 bucks for this set. It should provide an adequate supply for the rest of my automotive hobby days.
View attachment 1409705

More detail. The button heads provide room where hex or Allen head bolts wouldn't.
View attachment 1409706

End state. Yes, I know my awesome ACC Garage window shade is upside down in the pic.
View attachment 1409707
Nutserts are the best

Well, kind of a good news bad news day.
The good- got my new falken tires installed yesterday, and took them on a 300 mile round trip to the ski hill today. Skiing was great, tires were excellent on the highway. Really like them so far.
The bad- could be really bad. On the way back, going up a long grade, my oil pressure dropped to almost nothing. Plenty of oil, still getting oil up top, but started knocking. Now knocks under hard acceleration or throttle. Going to dig in to it tomorrow, and start a separate thread, but the expected rebuild may come a lot sooner than I had hoped:(

Spun big end bearing..... That's my call on it... Sorry

Spun big end bearing..... That's my call on it... Sorry
Would this cause the drop in oil pressure?
Not doubting, just don't know and wanting to learn...

My LC is peeing on my wife.

I think she's jealous about the ring
or maybe it's a female rivalry thing
Twice in the last two weeks
My LC has pee'd on my wife
this could completely ruin my cruiser life

if she's in the passenger seat
her sunroof lets loose a gigantic leak
Square to the top of my wife's head
until she yelped with a soggy dread

the second happened a few days ago
at the parking lot of the local Costco
she lifted the rear tailgate door
and a long watery stream
emanated from an inner seam
it completely drenched my spouse
and got me kicked out of the house

not that I trying to say this in
iambic pentameter,
but is this within normal spec or
parameter?

My LC is peeing on my wife.

I think she's jealous about the ring
or maybe it's a female rivalry thing
Twice in the last two weeks
My LC has pee'd on my wife
this could completely ruin my cruiser life

if she's in the passenger seat
her sunroof lets loose a gigantic leak
Square to the top of my wife's head
until she yelped with a soggy dread

the second happened a few days ago
at the parking lot of the local Costco
she lifted the rear tailgate door
and a long watery stream
emanated from an inner seam
it completely drenched my spouse
and got me kicked out of the house

not that I trying to say this in
iambic pentameter,
but is this within normal spec or
parameter?

o_O

Washed it. Half a dozen trips to the mountains made quite a mess of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom