Winter road trip in my new ride. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, maybe I shouldn't drink whiskey and surf eBay but I did. Last night I had the winning bid for a 1983 FJ60 based in Spokane, WA. I had been eyeballing it since the listing went up and got lucky with a last second bid. Spoke to current owner multiple times over the course of the auction before final bid.

Here is what I know.
2nd owner vehicle
Rebuilt motor 20k miles ago. < reciept included
Tons of receipts since new < big reason to bid
Emissions is intact< good thing as Colorado where I live can be a pain to pass smog.
Repainted 8 years ago and looks good with no obivious paint bubbles. Being a 40 owner I know rust never sleeps.
Newish tires
Vehicle looks solid underneath
Interior is super clean
Rear portion of headliner is torn but fixable and or I ve seen some threads on DIY replacement

I fly to Spokane today and start my journey to bring her home to Golden, CO. Wish me luck!

A couple pics.

IMG_0092.PNG

IMG_0095.PNG

Looks like a good find, maybe whisky and the internet is a good thing after all? Good luck with the road trip home, hope its an enjoyable adventure

Spokane WA with Idaho plates? Ruh-roh Shaggy. Idaho doesn't require emissions. People in Utah run Idaho or Wyoming plates when the vehicle can't pass emissions.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

People around here run Idaho plates because its a lot cheaper to register them there than Nevada. Hopefully that's the reason.

Easy folks, the guy lives just across the border in Hayden, ID. All smog stuff is present which is a good starting point. I ll post pics from the road!

It would be exempt from emissions anyways in WA. Too old. :)
Great find, should be a fun drive! Safe travels and post more pics!

Cool. Congratulations!

Looks great! I'm always tempted to change the color on my white 60 until i see a really clean white example. Good luck with the new truck!

People around here run Idaho plates because its a lot cheaper to register them there than Nevada. Hopefully that's the reason.

Just have to run Classic Plates in NV, it's about $20 with taxes. Can't imagine Idaho is cheaper than that.

IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
Got picked up at the Spokane airport today around 2:30pm in my new ride driven by Raymond the owner. The rig looked good but I noticed right away the cheap paint job and couldn't stop wondering what it was hiding. For the price I paid for it, it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. Took some time to buy a bunch of tools and fluids after getting the deal done.
Here is a pic of the deal closing. I am on the left. A pic from the road heading to Missoula, pic of all the receipts including original window sticker and sales contract. The original owners saved everything! I feel like I should send them a card and thank them.
This rig is running smoothly! Hope it continues as I have many miles to roll. Sunday I ll push for home.

IMG_0479.JPG

Lol! You're like a kid on Christmas morning with those documents laid out across the bed. Haha. Great job man. Keep the updates coming. Congrats.

By the way... youdo havesome money tucked away somewhere right? The real spending is about to begin! :rofl:

You should have stopped at @reevesci 's place for a roof rack and sliders!

The rig looked good but I noticed right away the cheap paint job and couldn't stop wondering what it was hiding.

Nice looking rig, hope the inside looks as nice. Having all receipts helps for sure. I have 2 folders full.
You never know what you may find. It also could be a quick paint refresh due to fading and getting ready to sell. If it is a cheap job, mostly likely the rust is minimal or none as most people put more effort into the paint if they had to do lots of work.

Good way to see for sure if there were holes...Most rust at the rear wheel wells. The great thing is you can see any repairs done by looking from the inside.
Take off the rear side panels, shine a flashlight in there and see if there are any welding marks, Pop rivets (panel bonding) or filler leaking inside. That is a dead give away. It will most likely be fine, and if done right there will be no bubbling for a LONG time. so enjoy it and drive it.

So have fun and I hope you make it home OK and uneventful.
My first I bought on here sight unseen and drove it from Colorado to Virginia in 2 1/2 days. I bought fluids, tools etc in Colorado and needed to do nothing to it but drive and fill up with gas.
My second one based on where it was I had to trailer it home (deep in the NH mountains).

IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
Made it home today. 1103 miles from Spokane to my front door. I averaged around 12 MPG. This rig never missed a beat. I feel like I scored a really nice 83' FJ60 at a freaking great price. As side from the Maaco paint job which looks great from 10ft it is in killer condition. Just about everything works except for the rear wiper washer which sprays fluid into the interior. Good times! ; )

Here is a breakdown of all that I can see.

ARB bumper
Rebuilt Motor< Pulls hard even at the limited altitude I drove it
OME suspension<<< Ride is awesome!
Paint job< While not the best paint job receipts show rust mitigation was the reason for the paint job.
Interior in excellent condition< Except small tear in rear headliner.
Pioneer stereo < Blue Tooth enabled; kept me entertained the whole trip
Undercarriage coated with something... need to investigate further.

I will spend more time going thru this beauty over the next couple of weeks.

Just have to run Classic Plates in NV, it's about $20 with taxes. Can't imagine Idaho is cheaper than that.
But limited to like 5k miles a year and they are starting to crack down on these laws now as they are finding guys registering vehicles with the "classic" tags and then disconnecting the speed cable to allow the mileage to slip.

And congrats on the nice new ride! Time to put Onur on speed dial and start doing some work!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom