School me on seam sealers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
Any recommendations on quality seam sealers to use on my tub after epoxy primer?

Mud searching has come up with the usual suspects, 3M, SEM........

I'm looking for something durable that is going to be damn near permanent. I want to make sure I seal all the body joints on the bottom of the tub.

2 part sealers any better?

I'm using a 3M two part seam sealer on my Ford project at the moment. 3M 08308 Heavy Bodied Seam Sealer with 3M 08571 Gun. As I've only just started using it I can't give long term results. I've applied it to the bottom of the cab floor around a repair so far and it was nice to use. So far the best place to buy the sealer has been Amazon (local places will sell it but at twice the price); I bought the gun from Summit.

I have used some single part stuff in a caulking tube from the local parts store in the past and it didn't last long at all on the cowl of my FJ40. No idea what brand now though.

Nick

I already have the 2 part applicator gun from when I did my hardtop a couple years ago. I used SEM self leveling sealer on it, I thought their products were pretty top shelf until I used some primer from U-Pol. After that switch I have begun to question their quality.
I thought the 2 part sealers would be better but there are so many options available, both single part and two part.

Gets overwhelming, especially when I am still trying to decipher paint, primer, body filler, Irish whiskey, beer, sandpaper, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I used both SEM and 3M 2 part sealer a few years ago on my 36 Ford. SEM is good but I think 3M might be a bit better. Seemed 3M looked better when installing. Age of product, temperature and humidity when I used it could be the differences.

Gotcha, sorry I misread your first post. 3M stuff is great, but costs more. I am not sure you get more bang for your buck. Can't say that I have seen a failure on SEM sealer.

Gotcha, sorry I misread your first post. 3M stuff is great, but costs more. I am not sure you get more bang for your buck. Can't say that I have seen a failure on SEM sealer.

Nope, you didn't read anything wrong, I don't have a clue when it comes to these body seam sealers. I did do some research before I did my drip rail a few years ago, now I am getting closer to primer and paint I am looking around for info on the sealers for the body. Looks lile I will pull spec sheets on the 2 part sealers and take it from there. It seems like the consensus is the 2 part.

I used both SEM and 3M 2 part sealer a few years ago on my 36 Ford. SEM is good but I think 3M might be a bit better. Seemed 3M looked better when installing. Age of product, temperature and humidity when I used it could be the differences.

Interesting.

I had a few issues this fall with SEM weld through primer, turns out it only has an 18 month shelf life, mine was at 20 months. From summit racing, they promptly sent me 2 new cans, same date, finally refunded my money. After that I went to a local paint shop and bought some U-Pol primer, it was on a totally different level of quality compared to the SEM.

After reading your thread I also used the U-Pol #2 weld thru primer, glad I did too good stuff.

Watching this thread as I will be at this stage soon! One question, I'm getting ready to blast my tub and I will need to prime it right after to prevent flash rust. Do I need to apply seem sealer before my first coat of primer or can I apply it after my first coat?

Josh

Watching this thread as I will be at this stage soon! One question, I'm getting ready to blast my tub and I will need to prime it right after to prevent flash rust. Do I need to apply seem sealer before my first coat of primer or can I apply it after my first coat?

Josh

From everything I have read recently, sealer goes on after primer but before basecoat.

From everything I have read recently, sealer goes on after primer but before basecoat.

Thanks so much I haven't done any research yet but I need to start. Have you decided on a color yet?

Josh

Thanks so much I haven't done any research yet but I need to start. Have you decided on a color yet?

Josh

I'm on board with a Rustic Green!

Will you be painting all the parts at the same time or will you paint over an extended period, perhaps months? I'm impatient and have parts that could be painted (Dune Beige) now and others that will not be ready anytime soon.

Will you be painting all the parts at the same time or will you paint over an extended period, perhaps months? I'm impatient and have parts that could be painted (Dune Beige) now and others that will not be ready anytime soon.

First step is the bottom of the tub and inside of the engine bay.

After that is done and back on the chassis I will shoot the inside and outside of the tub.

Next up will be everything from the front end, fenders, hood, aprons, bib, and some other items that are ready.

Hardtop sides, hatch, etc...

Doors.....

I'm sure when I get done I will find some leftovers laying around. Everything will get done start to finish.

At least that is the plan. What did Mike Tyson say?

First step is the bottom of the tub and inside of the engine bay.

After that is done and back on the chassis I will shoot the inside and outside of the tub.

Next up will be everything from the front end, fenders, hood, aprons, bib, and some other items that are ready.

Hardtop sides, hatch, etc...

Doors.....

I'm sure when I get done I will find some leftovers laying around. Everything will get done start to finish.

At least that is the plan. What did Mike Tyson say?

Rustic Green is a great color! I've been torn but I think I'm going with Dune Beige.

My plan is the same as yours when it comes to paint with one exception. Once I paint the bottom of the tub, the fire wall and get it back on the frame I'm going to test fit everything before final paint.

Josh

Rustic Green is a great color! I've been torn but I think I'm going with Dune Beige.

My plan is the same as yours when it comes to paint with one exception. Once I paint the bottom of the tub, the fire wall and get it back on the frame I'm going to test fit everything before final paint.

Josh

Test fit is the only way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom