Removing hubcaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How the hell do you get stock hubcaps off easily? Man those things are on tight. Im going to damage the paint on them prying. I plan on blasting and recoating them in the spring and really dont wanna mess them up after.

On a side note i scored 2 of these at a local garage sale the guy had no idea what they were .50

Those looked like drum brake adjustment tools. I use a claw hammer and a rag to protect the paint.

There are hard plastic pry tools for removing automotive trim that work pretty well.

IMG_20170224_215831.jpg

There are hard plastic pry tools for removing automotive trim that work pretty well.

View attachment 1409120

Do you have a brand for those? Would have to be some pretty tough plastic to hold up removing FJ40 hub caps if the clips haven't been bend to to make them easier to remove. I use a hammer with a pretty long handle and even with the leverage still requires enough pressure to pop them off.

Do you have a brand for those? Would have to be some pretty tough plastic to hold up removing FJ40 hub caps if the clips haven't been bend to to make them easier to remove. I use a hammer with a pretty long handle and even with the leverage still requires enough pressure to pop them off.
Cal-hawk makes some but I think you can get them at any parts store. The ends are wedge shaped on some of them so you can hammer it in. Much easier on paint

I use a cotter pin removal tool - the one with the 90* bend. You can pick them up at any auto parts store. Slide it under the hubcap and pull.

Pop right off in warm sunny California! You need to warm up your hupcaps before removal!

Even on the earlier caps that the metal is heavier and lip is closer to the clip? For me those are a lot tougher to get off compared to the newer/lighter style.

Honestly im kinda new to caps! haha my 67 and 45 never had caps so i dont really know.

Early caps are much heavier then later caps, I always use a long snap on pry bar, with a quick palm snap, usually does the trick.

The best tool I've used is the OEM hubcap bar from my 1981 toolkit. They're still available from Toyota for around $10.00, part #09183-00030. Wrap up the end and any contact points in a little tape to protect the paint.
IMG_0860.JPG

Last edited:
Yup those are drum brake adjusters
But I now know that bar in the Toyota tool kit
Isn't a lousily made tire iron

The best tool I've used is the OEM hubcap bar from my 1981 toolkit. They're still available from Toyota for around $10.00, part #09183-00030. Wrap up the end and any contact points in a little tape to protect the paint.View attachment 1409251

Can't remember if I've tried these or not. Think I have but used two. One just wasn't enough to get to pop off on the early caps. Rarely have a flat and when I do usually close to home with my old cruisers and just air it up. Once in the garage the claw hammer is handy and use it. It works better on the earlier caps. These spoons work better for my FJ62 hub caps which is what they were meant to be used on.

Yup those are drum brake adjusters
But I now know that bar in the Toyota tool kit
Isn't a lousily made tire iron

Nah...a bit too long for that task.

Can't remember if I've tried these or not. Think I have but used two. One just wasn't enough to get to pop off on the early caps. Rarely have a flat and when I do usually close to home with my old cruisers and just air it up. Once in the garage the claw hammer is handy and use it. It works better on the earlier caps. These spoons work better for my FJ62 hub caps which is what they were meant to be used on.

Every time I have to pull my early caps off, this is the tool I reach for. Something about the angle and size of the tip that makes popping them off a breeze.

When I got my new set of wheels I bent all the tabs a bit with pliers before I painted them , there was wayyyyy too much force holding caps on . Now just use a big flat blade screwdriver and a rag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom