Give Cummins a push (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Voted.

voted V8, might be a little roomier in the engine bay :eek:

Survey done. Honestly would do either v8 or i6. The upper end of torque range they gave for the i6 would destroy a LandCruiser drivetrain.. but it is a range.

You guys realize how expensive these engines will be though, right?

And for the record their 2.8L 4-cyl has Ok torque but nowhere near enough horsepower for an 80-series LandCruiser.

Yeah 20-30k right on budget I'm sure for everyone voting in this thread......

I6 - V8 - I4. Ive been driving a Dodge/Cummings since '05 and love the power vs. fuel economy and it's been no problem at all but, for my use, an LS swap into the 80 is more appropriate. Nonetheless, I took the survey.

How do us CA guys get past CARB? :p

I thought '90's era diesels were a CARB loophole - as long as power plant is same year or newer, from vehicle in production and used to power that vehicle at that time, and compliant with emissions standards for that motor...

Did that change?

Inline 6

I thought '90's era diesels were a CARB loophole - as long as power plant is same year or newer, from vehicle in production and used to power that vehicle at that time, and compliant with emissions standards for that motor...

Did that change?
As I remember, the donor vehicle had to be same class as recieving rig. I E a 1 ton engine could not be installed in a SUV?

Took the survey, need more options for my 60!

I have a Benjamin bill that not a single person here will buy one (OF THESE new engines/kit specifically) AND install in the next 5yrs.

Honestly I want the 3.8 ISF. Shorter in length and height than the 1FZFE. Weighs only 30 lbs more. 170hp+ and over 420 lb.ft of torque. Manufactured in the same factory as the 2.8. I really believe the 3.8 will be part of the Repower Program very soon.

It is a lot smoother running than the 4BT. Perfect size, weight, and power for the 80 series....IMO.

ISF3.8 for Light Commercial Vehicle

How do us CA guys get past CARB? :p

You my friend are, screwed, we don't have no stinking CARB here, and one of the many reasons I moved out of that place

Reactions: b16
I have a Benjamin bill that not a single person here will buy one (OF THESE new engines/kit specifically) AND install in the next 5yrs.

Come on, it's only going to cost about 26K + for a swap, all of the cool kid's will do it :flipoff2:

Perfect size, weight, and power for the 80 series....IMO.

And power? 141-168hp? The highest power version is ~45hp LESS than stock 1FZ-FE, which was barely enough as-is?

As I remember, the donor vehicle had to be same class as recieving rig. I E a 1 ton engine could not be installed in a SUV?

This is correct, as the 80 is typically titled as a SW body, or station wagon and thus seen as a SUV. Truck motors may make it past, but can also run into issues when going through the registration process. Did either the 6BT or 4BT ever get fitted from the factory to a SW / SUV body style, or only in the Dodge trucks and commercial applications?

I don't get it. All these folks that poo-poo the low HP of the R2.8, but then turn around and rave about how awesome the HDJ80 is. It's a whopping 7hp more than the Cummins. If the HDJ could be federalize and smog legal in CA, that would be incredible. Alas, it can't. But the Cummins can. For me, living in CA, that's the big win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom