HDJ80 belt screeching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
plus.google.com
On my 1HD-FT the alternator/water pump belts keep squealing once and a while.

I have replaced them with new Continental from same production batch - In other words they are not paired from Toyota, but are of the same production lot at Continental.

The belts are tightened quite according to what I believe is specs: They can be pushed down max 1 cm when measured from the other belt.
So they are pretty tight.

But still I get the squealing / screeching once and a while, when accelerating. Mostly when the car has been parked for a couple of days.

I dont really think that the belts should be tightened anymore as it will probably stress the other components in the water pump and alternator, and the two belts do seem to be equal length - Although obviously it a visual observation which hasn't been measured.

So I am wondering what to try next. I know that even though it isn't a constant slipping on the pulleys, it will lead to problems in the long run.

Someone suggested sanding the belts on the sides, others have suggested candle wax.
Or is this just the nature of the 1HD-FT?

This happens occasionally on 1FZs with souped up fan clutches. We usually find that a little tightening of the belts cures the problem.

The 2 new belts have been tightened and re-tightened. Using a crowbar against alternator and engine as the factory adjustment screw and bracket tend to bend. I dont think it should be tightened further. I know that they are supposed to be very tight - there is a lot of pull on these two rather small belts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom