98 LX470 Buying Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trdcorolla

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Mudders,

For the past six months i've been looking for 2001-2007 Land Cruisers/LX470. I've been ignoring 98-00 models since they don't have traction control and child seat anchors. Fast forward to last night, found a local 98 LX470, 110k miles, 1 owner, no accidents, silver, no roof rack, no spoiler for 10k. By the pictures it looks good. It was dealer maintained from new till 107k miles. If I remember right, I saw a 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k (serpentine belt replaced), 75k, 90k, 105k service on the notes but no timing belt service unless it's in the 60 or 90k service. Two notes in the history looked weird, weird smell coming from the AC but it looks like the ac was serviced and filters replaced fixed that. What do you think of the price? Should I continue my search for a 01+?

Thanks everyone.

So, I have a 1998 LX470 that I bought about two years ago. I absolutely love it! It also came with low miles, and I had Slee do the 90K, which while expensive was worth the peace of mind. I was lucky enough to participate in 100's in the Hills last year and the LX was amazing!

However, the devil is in the details for me. Some subtle changes were made in the following years that I would have prefered. The wiper blades are different, the gas cap is different, the cup holders are different just to name a few of the small details. All in all, the LX/LC is an amazing vehicle. If I had to do it over, I might have tried for a newer model than a '98, but I have no regrets buying the one I did.

Drive a 1998-2002 than drive a 2003-2006 with all the upgrades ...power, 5 speed, interior upgrade etc.....just might answer your question

X Infinity

Drove several 4 speed equipped 100s and loved them. That was until I drove an '03+ and realized that the 5th gear was an incredible addition.
The gated shifter is a great touch off road as well, way easier to smoothly shift without having to look at what you're doing (I spend a lot of time in low with 2nd start engaged).:steer:

'98 LX 470. Silver in color???
Was that a factory color for that year?
If so, I've never seen one.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So, I have a 1998 LX470 that I bought about two years ago. I absolutely love it! It also came with low miles, and I had Slee do the 90K, which while expensive was worth the peace of mind. I was lucky enough to participate in 100's in the Hills last year and the LX was amazing!

However, the devil is in the details for me. Some subtle changes were made in the following years that I would have prefered. The wiper blades are different, the gas cap is different, the cup holders are different just to name a few of the small details. All in all, the LX/LC is an amazing vehicle. If I had to do it over, I might have tried for a newer model than a '98, but I have no regrets buying the one I did.

Over my last few months of reading this forum everyday I learned a lot. I read about the wipers and gas cap tether, but not about the cup holders, thanks! that's why I love this forum.

Drive a 1998-2002 than drive a 2003-2006 with all the upgrades ...power, 5 speed, interior upgrade etc.....just might answer your question

I test drove a 2002 LX470 (I instantly noticed it was a lot slower than my 2004 V8 4Runner, which has the same engine/transmission as the 03+ LC/LX's).

X Infinity

Drove several 4 speed equipped 100s and loved them. That was until I drove an '03+ and realized that the 5th gear was an incredible addition.
The gated shifter is a great touch off road as well, way easier to smoothly shift without having to look at what you're doing (I spend a lot of time in low with 2nd start engaged).:steer:

Yeah, the 2002 I test drove was already slow, I can only imagine how it would feel after some LT 33's. (my 4Runner is on LT 32's and still feels peppy)

'98 LX 470. Silver in color???
Was that a factory color for that year?
If so, I've never seen one.

I was in a hurry when I started this thread and mistyped the color. I meant gold. I was going to put no gold package but decided not to, maybe I mixed the two up since I was glad the emblems were silver.

I decided to pass on the car. I didn't even go test drive it. I'll change my search criteria slightly to 03+.

Thanks Mudders!

Honestly i think the draw to a 98,99 is the Rear Locker option which the LX did not get, only the Land Cruiser. If I were to get an LX it would be 2001 and up.

For reference I have a 98 and love it. I have never diven a 5 speed but I love my simple dash layout.

Honestly i think the draw to a 98,99 is the Rear Locker option which the LX did not get, only the Land Cruiser. If I were to get an LX it would be 2001 and up.

For reference I have a 98 and love it. I have never diven a 5 speed but I love my simple dash layout.

True but the car he found is an LX

I was on the other side of the hunt then you. I started looking for an 80 LC in decent shape. After months of searching and three let downs I basically put looking on hold until I stumbled onto a 98 LX. Ive loved it so far and moving through baselining it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom